    anyone knows where I can download the latest firmware for the A70 ? (cant
    find it on canon.com)

    Tx

    Dave Weller, Jul 15, 2003

  2. Dave Weller

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Dave Weller wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > anyone knows where I can download the latest firmware for the A70 ? (cant
    > find it on canon.com)
    >
    > Tx

    There is no latest firmware. What comes in the camera is current. No updates
    have been released to date.

    Keep an eye on the page below.. If there is an update, it will be posted
    there.

    http://www.powershot.com/powershot2/customer/firmware.html

    Jim Townsend, Jul 15, 2003

  3. Dave Weller

    Dave Weller Guest

    tx Jim

    Dave Weller, Jul 15, 2003
  4. Dave Weller

    Zol. Guest

    Why?
    What `problems` are you hoping to fix?
    The A40 never had a firmware update although it did have a calibration
    adjustment for the auto focus

    Zol.

    Zol., Jul 16, 2003
  5. Dave Weller

    Dave Weller Guest

    soft picture quality

    Dave Weller, Jul 16, 2003
  6. Dave Weller

    colinco Guest

    colinco, Jul 16, 2003
  7. Dave Weller

    Don Coon Guest

    While in shooting mode, press FUNC, scroll down to effects and change to
    "Vivid". This will up the saturation and sharpness. Some people want the
    picture printer-ready right out of the camera and thus use the "Vivid"
    effect.

    Others want to do the tweaking in imaging SW where they have more control.
    Some consider this mode "soft."

    Suggestion 2: Shut off 5 point focusing. Too often the camera focuses on a
    part of the picture you didn't intend and results in an out of focus picture
    some call "soft." To select a single focus point (I even did this on my
    10D!), enter Menu and turn off AiAF. I'd suggest this to anyone new to the
    A60/A70 or even 10D -- until they feel comfortable with the controls.

    By the way, I'm convinced that 90% of "focus problems" with the A60/A70/10D
    are caused by the 5 (7 on 10D) auto focusing system.

    Best of luck!

    Don Coon, Jul 16, 2003
  8. Dave Weller

    Dave Weller Guest

    Thank You very much Don !

    Btw , is the A70 a good camera for the price ?

    Dave Weller, Jul 16, 2003
  9. Dave Weller

    Zol. Guest

    I wish we could get a definitive answer on this `soft image` - To be quite
    honest most of my shots come out sharp & clear - the ones which don`t are
    usually due to me being in a hurry to take the shot and jinxing the camera
    when I press the shutter button all the way down. Held steady the camera
    produces some excellent shots ... Zol.

    p.s. Has anybody asked anyone in Canon about the so called `soft image`
    matter ? (Z)

    Zol., Jul 16, 2003
  10. Dave Weller

    Rich Guest

    "Zol." <>

    > I wish we could get a definitive answer on this `soft image` - To be

    quite
    > honest most of my shots come out sharp & clear

    There is soft, there's normal and there's eye-piercing. Some films
    also had the reputation for being soft.
    Mine seem fine to may eye. You could do a little post-processing and
    have an eye-piercing look to the pictures.

    > p.s. Has anybody asked anyone in Canon about the so called `soft

    image`
    > matter ? (Z)

    Yes. Asked TS at Canon. They guy, who otherwise seemed intelligent,
    said he never heard of it. He added that the one A70 they have in the
    office worked fine.

    Take if for what it's worth. Either the TS folks at Canon are stupid,
    or play stupid. At least they could read the comments about their new
    product on the net and have a ready response. Regardless what that
    response would be. Maybe they do read and the _official_ response is
    _never heard about it_ :))

    Rich

    Rich, Jul 16, 2003
  11. Dave Weller

    Zol. Guest

    I`ve just posted an image in the "alt.binaries.photos.original" group taken
    with my A70; "Pilot Request by Zol." - this was even taken with some
    electronic zoom as well - the only thing I did was make sure the camera was
    absolutely steady when it was taken - this shot was taken yesterday ... Zol.

    Zol., Jul 16, 2003
  12. Dave Weller

    YeahRight Guest

    I posted a response/sample as well. I've only owned it a short while, but
    some of my shots have been fantastic.

    cheers,
    Matt.

    YeahRight, Jul 16, 2003
  13. Dave Weller

    Zol. Guest

    Hi, I`ve checked this out - the only suggestion I have is to set your Image
    compression to superfine rather than fine but I love the Image - Zol. :)

    Zol., Jul 17, 2003