    some B&W’s. I am used to working in 35 mm and medium format film, but
    can’t afford a DSLR right now. I plan to work in PS.

    Which one for now?

    Wwso149874, Jan 6, 2004

  2. Wwso149874

    Paul L Guest

    My brother, brother in law and I have(had) S304/404's. Even Nimh battery
    life sucked (10-20 pics), let alone alkalines.
    My bro claims his A80 is MUCH better on batteries, I switched to Canon G3,
    quite happy, ~100-150 pics before I get the spare Li-Ion out

    "Wwso149874" <> wrote in message
    > A70 - Coolpix 4300 - Olympus 400 or 740 - Minolta S 414
    >
    > I'm trying to get some help. My awards program will only allow me to

    chose
    > one of the above. I'm interested in image quality, I shoot mostly
    > landscapes, botanicals, and some birds, etc. I shoot mostly early

    mornings and
    > late afternoons. The zoom is not so important. I try to crop in the view
    > finder by getting closer to my subject. I do like a bit of a wide angle

    for my

    Paul L, Jan 7, 2004

  3. "Paul L" <> wrote in message
    > My brother, brother in law and I have(had) S304/404's. Even Nimh battery
    > life sucked (10-20 pics), let alone alkalines.

    I've got an S404, and while the battery life with 1850mAH NiMH is nothing to
    write home about, it is quite reasonable. I get something like 100 pictures
    on a set, always using the screen, and a lot of flashes.

    > My bro claims his A80 is MUCH better on batteries, I switched to Canon G3,
    > quite happy, ~100-150 pics before I get the spare Li-Ion out
    >
    > "Wwso149874" <> wrote in message
    > > A70 - Coolpix 4300 - Olympus 400 or 740 - Minolta S 414
    > >
    > > I'm trying to get some help. My awards program will only allow me to

    > chose
    > > one of the above. I'm interested in image quality, I shoot mostly
    > > landscapes, botanicals, and some birds, etc. I shoot mostly early

    > mornings and
    > > late afternoons. The zoom is not so important. I try to crop in the view
    > > finder by getting closer to my subject. I do like a bit of a wide angle

    > for my
    > > landscapes and close-ups. I hope to print at least 8 X10's, and maybe do
    > > some B&W's. I am used to working in 35 mm and medium format film, but
    > > can't afford a DSLR right now. I plan to work in PS.

    From what I've read, the A70, 4300, and 740 are all good cameras. The S414 is
    a slightly older design, essentially the same as my S404. You can compare all
    four at places like www.dpreview.com . All are good cameras and each has some
    advantages and disadvantages over the others.

    --
    Dan (Woj...) dmaster (at) lucent (dot) com

    "They took all the trees, and put em in a tree museum
    And they charged the people a dollar and a half to see them
    No, no, no / Don't it always seem to go
    That you don't know what you got 'til it's gone
    They paved paradise, and put up a parking lot."

    Dan Wojciechowski, Jan 15, 2004