A4 Document/Photo Scanners

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by John, Jul 3, 2007.

  1. John

    John Guest

    I am looking at A4 Document/Photo Scanners and have been considering
    the Epson V100/V200/V350 range at the lower price range and also the
    V700 at the higher end of things.

    Can anyone tell me whether the V700 is worth the difference in price
    over the V100/V200/V350's for the scanning of photos? I have noticed
    that the V700 has Digital Ice and has the optical density of 4.0D,
    whereas there doesn't seem to be any Digital Ice on the
    V100/V200/V350's which have optical density of 3.2D. If I am scanning
    a bunch of old photos and/or slides and negatives, will there be a
    really big difference using the V700 with Digital Ice?

    The Epson Perfection V100/V200/V350's are ranging in price between £60
    and £90, and the V700 is around £350. Is it worth the extra few
    hundred quid (400%+ price premium) and the extra time scanning with
    Digital Ice or can you still get good results with the V100/ V200/
    V350's? Do these lower priced scanners provide anything worthwhile in
    regards to dust removal or do you really need Digital Ice for that?

    Cheers

    John

    John, Jul 3, 2007

  2. John

    Paul Guest

    John wrote:
    > I am looking at A4 Document/Photo Scanners and have been considering
    > the Epson V100/V200/V350 range at the lower price range and also the
    > V700 at the higher end of things.
    >
    > Can anyone tell me whether the V700 is worth the difference in price
    > over the V100/V200/V350's for the scanning of photos? I have noticed
    > that the V700 has Digital Ice and has the optical density of 4.0D,
    > whereas there doesn't seem to be any Digital Ice on the
    > V100/V200/V350's which have optical density of 3.2D. If I am scanning
    > a bunch of old photos and/or slides and negatives, will there be a
    > really big difference using the V700 with Digital Ice?
    >
    > The Epson Perfection V100/V200/V350's are ranging in price between £60
    > and £90, and the V700 is around £350. Is it worth the extra few
    > hundred quid (400%+ price premium) and the extra time scanning with
    > Digital Ice or can you still get good results with the V100/ V200/
    > V350's? Do these lower priced scanners provide anything worthwhile in
    > regards to dust removal or do you really need Digital Ice for that?
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > John

    There is a review here.

    http://www.macworld.com/2006/07/reviews/perfectionv700/index.php

    One question I have, is how long it would take to do a scan at 4800
    or 6400 DPI. The scan time tests are done at a lower resolution.

    Paul

    Paul, Jul 3, 2007