A3 Photo Printer choice.

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Chris H, Oct 19, 2009.

  1. Chris H

    Chris H Guest

    Hi

    It is time to treat myself to a new photo printer so I thought I would
    ask here for recommendations.

    Asked in three shops locally and the answers were
    Canon PIXMA pro9000
    Epson Stylus Photo R2880
    HP Photosmart Pro B8190

    Anyone got any better suggestions?

    I know I can get an Ink Flow system for the Epson. But apart from that
    it is hard to work out the pros and con's of the three above. I suppose
    as a user of God's own Camera system (Nikon) a Canon printer is out of
    the question :)

    Chris H, Oct 19, 2009

  2. Chris H

    Eric Stevens Guest

    On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 16:44:59 +0100, Chris H <>
    wrote:

    >Hi
    >
    >It is time to treat myself to a new photo printer so I thought I would
    >ask here for recommendations.
    >
    >Asked in three shops locally and the answers were
    >Canon PIXMA pro9000
    >Epson Stylus Photo R2880
    >HP Photosmart Pro B8190
    >
    >Anyone got any better suggestions?
    >
    >I know I can get an Ink Flow system for the Epson. But apart from that
    >it is hard to work out the pros and con's of the three above. I suppose
    >as a user of God's own Camera system (Nikon) a Canon printer is out of
    >the question :)

    The 2880 uses the most recent of the Epson pigment ink systems and I
    doubt that either of the others will be able to surpass it (or even
    equal it). However you should look into the problems you will
    encounter whan switching from colour to monochrome and vice versa.

    Eric Stevens

    Eric Stevens, Oct 20, 2009

  3. Chris H

    Eric Stevens Guest

    On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 11:02:12 -0700, Savageduck
    <savageduck@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    >On 2009-10-19 08:44:59 -0700, Chris H <> said:
    >
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> It is time to treat myself to a new photo printer so I thought I would
    >> ask here for recommendations.
    >>
    >> Asked in three shops locally and the answers were
    >> Canon PIXMA pro9000
    >> Epson Stylus Photo R2880
    >> HP Photosmart Pro B8190
    >>
    >> Anyone got any better suggestions?
    >>
    >> I know I can get an Ink Flow system for the Epson. But apart from that
    >> it is hard to work out the pros and con's of the three above. I suppose
    >> as a user of God's own Camera system (Nikon) a Canon printer is out of
    >> the question :)

    >Not necessarily, I have a 2 year old Canon i9900 which prints perfectly
    >acceptable 13 x 19 prints from my Nikon D70 & D300 files.
    >
    >The Epson which the i9900 replaced remains an ink clogged anchor.

    An ancient model?

    Eric Stevens

    Eric Stevens, Oct 20, 2009
  4. Chris H

    Mr. Jon Pope Guest

    I will always stay with EPSON I have never had any problems. I am using the
    EPSON NX-400 and the pics it prints are awesome . A 8x10 print takes 20
    minutes to print

    Mr. Jon Pope, Oct 20, 2009
  5. Chris H

    Chris H Guest

    In message <>, Eric Stevens
    <> writes
    >On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 16:44:59 +0100, Chris H <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Hi
    >>
    >>It is time to treat myself to a new photo printer so I thought I would
    >>ask here for recommendations.
    >>
    >>Asked in three shops locally and the answers were
    >>Canon PIXMA pro9000
    >>Epson Stylus Photo R2880
    >>HP Photosmart Pro B8190
    >>
    >>Anyone got any better suggestions?
    >>
    >>I know I can get an Ink Flow system for the Epson. But apart from that
    >>it is hard to work out the pros and con's of the three above. I suppose
    >>as a user of God's own Camera system (Nikon) a Canon printer is out of
    >>the question :)

    >The 2880 uses the most recent of the Epson pigment ink systems and I
    >doubt that either of the others will be able to surpass it (or even
    >equal it). However you should look into the problems you will
    >encounter whan switching from colour to monochrome and vice versa.

    Yes, that is a problem. I did wonder if Epson might bring out a new
    version with both black inks in place. That said I don't often do
    monochrome prints

    Also is there a problem if these printers are left idle for any length
    of time?

    Chris H, Oct 20, 2009
  6. Chris H

    Chris H Guest

    In message <CWbDm.16982$>, Mr. Jon Pope
    <> writes
    >I will always stay with EPSON

    I have some friends like that... Problem is that it is difficult to get
    an unbiased opinion out of them. :-(

    >I have never had any problems. I am using the EPSON NX-400 and the pics
    >it prints are awesome . A 8x10 print takes 20 minutes to print

    The time is not a problem. I was not intending to mass produce.

    Chris H, Oct 20, 2009
  7. Chris H

    Bristolian Guest

    Chris H wrote:

    > Also is there a problem if these printers are left idle for any length
    > of time?

    Hi Chris, I have the 2880 (and an R265) and think they're both fine
    printers. My 2880 is dedicated for photography and doesn't get too much
    use ~ I'm not that good that I feel the need to print too many pictures.
    You don't get any problems leaving them idle even for a few weeks - just
    carry out a head clean before printing again. I don't print monochrome.

    I use a continuous ink system with the R265 (which is my general purpose
    printer and also used by SWMBO for her card making business) but the
    colours can be a bit variable. I wouldn't use that for a print that I
    was intending to keep/frame/sell. I'm not aware of anywhere that sells
    genuine Epson inks for the 2880 in bulk so you'd likely suffer the same
    problems as I see on the R265 if you tried that.

    HTH :)

    --
    Regards

    Bristolian

    Bristolian, Oct 20, 2009
  8. Chris H

    Eric Stevens Guest

    On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 23:05:18 -0700, Savageduck
    <savageduck@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    >On 2009-10-19 21:05:14 -0700, Eric Stevens <> said:
    >
    >> On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 11:02:12 -0700, Savageduck
    >> <savageduck@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    >>> Not necessarily, I have a 2 year old Canon i9900 which prints perfectly
    >>> acceptable 13 x 19 prints from my Nikon D70 & D300 files.
    >>>
    >>> The Epson which the i9900 replaced remains an ink clogged anchor.

    >> An ancient model?
    >>

    >> Eric Stevens

    >Yup. A Stylus 860.
    >...and I have been Epson averse ever since.
    >I suppose I am probably denying myself a better printer than the
    >perfectly functioning, 8 cartridge, Canon i9900. With my current Epson
    >wariness. I'll just wait and see what there is when it comes time for a
    >new printer.

    I ran an 1800 for many years and the only nozzle clogging I
    experienced was due to cat fur. My daughter has run an 1800 since they
    first came out and has never had a blockage problem. I now have a 3800
    and have never had a blockage. I think Epson's blocking problem is now
    a thing of the far distant past.

    Eric Stevens

    Eric Stevens, Oct 20, 2009
  9. Chris H

    Mr. Jon Pope Guest

    Well I on average only print 10-20 pages a month with no problems at all

    Mr. Jon Pope, Oct 21, 2009
  10. Chris H

    Chris H Guest

    In message <hbl295$2lgk$>, trouble
    <> writes
    >I can only speak from my experience with Epson and Canon printers.
    >Epsons are indeed prone to head clogging but it is avoidable with
    >regular use of the printer and the cleaning process. Yes, it wastes
    >ridiculously expensive ink.
    >Being lazy, and actually liking the appearance of Epson pigment based
    >color prints, I prefer Epson because of its wide variety of paper
    >surfaces with canned profiles that are pretty good. The importance of
    >reliable paper profiles is underestimated and very important because
    >the LCD monitors most of us use are overly bright and inaccurately
    >calibrated.
    >There is a bit more guess work and fudging using Canon printers with
    >non-Canon paper (limited surface types) and if you are able to profile
    >your printer output it is a moot point.
    >If you are going to use an external inking system you are on your own
    >with regard to support.

    Fortunately PermaJet are only 30 miles from me and if I get the printer
    and ink system from them they will do the set up and provide custom
    profiles (for their paper) on the printer as part of the set up and take
    responsibility for both ink and printer.

    I also calibrate the screens as I do work (adverts and graphics) that go
    to magazines.

    Chris H, Oct 21, 2009
  11. Chris H

    Bob Larter Guest

    Eric Stevens wrote:
    > On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 23:05:18 -0700, Savageduck
    > <savageduck@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
    >
    >> On 2009-10-19 21:05:14 -0700, Eric Stevens <> said:

    >>> An ancient model?
    >>>

    >>> Eric Stevens

    >> Yup. A Stylus 860.
    >> ...and I have been Epson averse ever since.
    >> I suppose I am probably denying myself a better printer than the
    >> perfectly functioning, 8 cartridge, Canon i9900. With my current Epson
    >> wariness. I'll just wait and see what there is when it comes time for a
    >> new printer.

    > I ran an 1800 for many years and the only nozzle clogging I
    > experienced was due to cat fur. My daughter has run an 1800 since they
    > first came out and has never had a blockage problem. I now have a 3800
    > and have never had a blockage. I think Epson's blocking problem is now
    > a thing of the far distant past.

    I sure hope so. My next printer will most likely be an Epson.

    Bob Larter, Oct 22, 2009