A way to turn off tooltips from taskbar

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Steve, Dec 12, 2004.

  1. Steve

    Steve Guest

    Damn those things are annoying; anyway to turn them off?
     
    Steve, Dec 12, 2004
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Steve

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Steve" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    | Damn those things are annoying; anyway to turn them off?

    yes.
     
    Toolman Tim, Dec 12, 2004
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Steve

    mdp Guest

    mdp, Dec 12, 2004
    #3
  4. Steve

    °Mike° Guest

    °Mike°, Dec 12, 2004
    #4
  5. Steve

    mdp Guest

    mdp, Dec 12, 2004
    #5
  6. Steve

    Steve Guest

    Thanks a bunch people.








    On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 23:40:31 GMT, "mdp" <>
    wrote:

    >A search on Google delivers over 800 hits on how to do this:
    >
    >http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=disable "balloon tips" xp
    >
    >
    >"mdp" <> wrote in message
    >news:Fu4vd.14322$...
    >> For XP, download TweakUI from MS.
    >>
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx
    >>
    >> Under the Taskbar and Start menu, uncheck Enable balloon tips.
    >>
    >>
    >> "Steve" <> wrote in message
    >> news:...
    >>> Damn those things are annoying; anyway to turn them off?

    >>
    >>

    >
     
    Steve, Dec 13, 2004
    #6
  7. Steve

    Steve Guest

    Re: A way to turn off tooltips from taskbar - "taskbar.jpg" (0/1) 6.6 kBytes yEnc

    OK, I downloaded TweakUI and disabled them, they are still there.
    Also looked at the Enableballoontips entry in the registry and it is
    already set to '0' probably by tweakUI.

    The tooltips I'm talking about and want to disable are the ones that
    pop up when you have your mouse cursor over application buttons on the
    task bar and the tooltip pops up saying what the app is. I can
    already see what the app is by what is written in the button, and now
    there is this stupid tooltip blocking what's written on the other
    buttons so I can't see them.

    I know this is not a binaries group but this one is very small and
    illustrates what I am talking about and is not included in this
    message so those that wish to read the message without downloading the
    pic can do so.

    Oh, the pic is just a representation as Paint shop would not capture
    the tooltip.

    On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 23:24:46 GMT, Steve <> wrote:

    >Damn those things are annoying; anyway to turn them off?
     
    Steve, Dec 13, 2004
    #7
  8. Re: A way to turn off tooltips from taskbar - "taskbar.jpg" (0/1) 6.6 kBytes yEnc

    In article <> Steve
    <> wrote:
    >
    >The tooltips I'm talking about and want to disable are the ones that
    >pop up when you have your mouse cursor over application buttons on the
    >task bar and the tooltip pops up saying what the app is. I can
    >already see what the app is by what is written in the button, and now
    >there is this stupid tooltip blocking what's written on the other
    >buttons so I can't see them.


    Do you wonder if written in the button is? Why do you think that
    written on the other buttons so you cannot see them is?

    >I know this<FLUSH>


    Why do you ask if you know this is not a binaries group but this one
    is Very small and illustrates what they are talking about and is not
    included in this message so those that wish to read the message
    without downloading the pic can do so?

    --
    Lady Chatterly

    "Getting your ass kicked again I see. Lady C is quickly becomeing my
    hero." -- Yomamma bin Crawdaddin
     
    Lady Chatterly, Dec 13, 2004
    #8
  9. Steve

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Re: A way to turn off tooltips from taskbar - "taskbar.jpg" (0/1) 6.6 kBytes yEnc

    Do your own search on google. I did this a few weeks ago for a friend, and
    found methods of turning off just about every tooltip there was. But it's
    not *my* job to do your research. Hint: there were at least 4 registry
    changes needed. So keep trying.

    "Steve" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    | OK, I downloaded TweakUI and disabled them, they are still there.
    | Also looked at the Enableballoontips entry in the registry and it is
    | already set to '0' probably by tweakUI.
    |
    | The tooltips I'm talking about and want to disable are the ones that
    | pop up when you have your mouse cursor over application buttons on the
    | task bar and the tooltip pops up saying what the app is. I can
    | already see what the app is by what is written in the button, and now
    | there is this stupid tooltip blocking what's written on the other
    | buttons so I can't see them.
    |
    | I know this is not a binaries group but this one is very small and
    | illustrates what I am talking about and is not included in this
    | message so those that wish to read the message without downloading the
    | pic can do so.
    |
    | Oh, the pic is just a representation as Paint shop would not capture
    | the tooltip.
    |
    | On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 23:24:46 GMT, Steve <> wrote:
    |
    | >Damn those things are annoying; anyway to turn them off?
    |
     
    Toolman Tim, Dec 13, 2004
    #9
  10. Steve

    trout Guest

    Re: A way to turn off tooltips from taskbar - "taskbar.jpg" (0/1) 6.6 kBytes yEnc

    Steve wrote:

    > OK, I downloaded TweakUI and disabled them, they are still there.
    > Also looked at the Enableballoontips entry in the registry and it is
    > already set to '0' probably by tweakUI.


    Did you reboot after doing this?
    --
    "And yes, you will most likely catch shit for posting a binary."
     
    trout, Dec 13, 2004
    #10
  11. Steve

    Steve Guest

    Re: A way to turn off tooltips from taskbar - "taskbar.jpg" (0/1) 6.6 kBytes yEnc

    On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 0:51:31 GMT, Lady Chatterly
    <> wrote:

    >In article <> Steve
    ><> wrote:
    >>
    >>The tooltips I'm talking about and want to disable are the ones that
    >>pop up when you have your mouse cursor over application buttons on the
    >>task bar and the tooltip pops up saying what the app is. I can
    >>already see what the app is by what is written in the button, and now
    >>there is this stupid tooltip blocking what's written on the other
    >>buttons so I can't see them.

    >
    >Do you wonder if written in the button is? Why do you think that
    >written on the other buttons so you cannot see them is?


    This makes no sense.

    >
    >>I know this<FLUSH>

    >
    >Why do you ask if you know this is not a binaries group but this one
    >is Very small and illustrates what they are talking about and is not
    >included in this message so those that wish to read the message
    >without downloading the pic can do so?


    Nor does this. What was your point?
     
    Steve, Dec 13, 2004
    #11
  12. Steve

    Plato Guest

    Plato, Dec 13, 2004
    #12
  13. Re: A way to turn off tooltips from taskbar - "taskbar.jpg" (0/1) 6.6 kBytes yEnc

    In article <> Steve <> wrote:
    >
    >On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 0:51:31 GMT, Lady Chatterly
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>In article <> Steve
    >><> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>The tooltips I'm talking about and want to disable are the ones that
    >>>pop up when you have your mouse cursor over application buttons on the
    >>>task bar and the tooltip pops up saying what the app is. I can
    >>>already see what the app is by what is written in the button, and now
    >>>there is this stupid tooltip blocking what's written on the other
    >>>buttons so I can't see them.

    >>
    >>Do you wonder if written in the button is? Why do you think that
    >>written on the other buttons so you cannot see them is?

    >
    >This makes no sense.


    Why what?

    --
    Lady Chatterly

    "oh no, the bot is after me!" -- sbb78247
     
    Lady Chatterly, Dec 13, 2004
    #13
  14. Steve

    Steve Guest

    Re: A way to turn off tooltips from taskbar - "taskbar.jpg" (0/1) 6.6 kBytes yEnc

    Sorry people, I took the bait.
    <plonk>


    Still no luck with the tooltips though. I tried changing the option
    in Windows explorer/folder options/view/advnaced. no luck. tried all
    the other registry setting changes, no luck. Yes I restarted.
     
    Steve, Dec 13, 2004
    #14
  15. Steve

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Re: A way to turn off tooltips from taskbar - "taskbar.jpg" (0/1) 6.6 kBytes yEnc

    "Steve" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    | Sorry people, I took the bait.
    | <plonk>
    |
    |
    | Still no luck with the tooltips though. I tried changing the option
    | in Windows explorer/folder options/view/advnaced. no luck. tried all
    | the other registry setting changes, no luck. Yes I restarted.
    |
    Okay - since you aren't going to read the links people have posted for you
    here, I'm gonna "spoon feed" it to you.

    http://www.bootdisk.com/bootlist/182.htm#3
    the second link leads you to this:

    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
    go down to line #11. It has two (that's "2" for those who won't read what
    people write here in real words) items on line #11. If you can't figure it
    out from there, pack your blasted computer back in the box it came in, and
    use it for a doorstop. You certainly don't need it for anything else.
     
    Toolman Tim, Dec 13, 2004
    #15
  16. Steve

    Steve Guest

    Re: A way to turn off tooltips from taskbar - "taskbar.jpg" (0/1) 6.6 kBytes yEnc

    On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 18:22:51 -0800, "Toolman Tim"
    <> wrote:

    >
    >"Steve" <> wrote in message
    >news:...
    >| Sorry people, I took the bait.
    >| <plonk>
    >|
    >|
    >| Still no luck with the tooltips though. I tried changing the option
    >| in Windows explorer/folder options/view/advnaced. no luck. tried all
    >| the other registry setting changes, no luck. Yes I restarted.
    >|
    >Okay - since you aren't going to read the links people have posted for you
    >here, I'm gonna "spoon feed" it to you.
    >
    >http://www.bootdisk.com/bootlist/182.htm#3
    >the second link leads you to this:
    >
    >http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
    >go down to line #11. It has two (that's "2" for those who won't read what
    >people write here in real words) items on line #11. If you can't figure it
    >out from there, pack your blasted computer back in the box it came in, and
    >use it for a doorstop. You certainly don't need it for anything else.
    >


    That link leads to a reg file that changes registry entries, which I
    said I already did. tooltips are still there.

    Anymore bright ideas?


    >
     
    Steve, Dec 13, 2004
    #16
  17. Steve

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Re: A way to turn off tooltips from taskbar - "taskbar.jpg" (0/1) 6.6 kBytes yEnc

    "Steve" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    | On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 18:22:51 -0800, "Toolman Tim"
    | <> wrote:
    |
    | >
    | >"Steve" <> wrote in message
    | >news:...
    | >| Sorry people, I took the bait.
    | >| <plonk>
    | >|
    | >|
    | >| Still no luck with the tooltips though. I tried changing the option
    | >| in Windows explorer/folder options/view/advnaced. no luck. tried all
    | >| the other registry setting changes, no luck. Yes I restarted.
    | >|
    | >Okay - since you aren't going to read the links people have posted for
    you
    | >here, I'm gonna "spoon feed" it to you.
    | >
    | >http://www.bootdisk.com/bootlist/182.htm#3
    | >the second link leads you to this:
    | >
    | >http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
    | >go down to line #11. It has two (that's "2" for those who won't read what
    | >people write here in real words) items on line #11. If you can't figure
    it
    | >out from there, pack your blasted computer back in the box it came in,
    and
    | >use it for a doorstop. You certainly don't need it for anything else.
    | >
    |
    | That link leads to a reg file that changes registry entries, which I
    | said I already did. tooltips are still there.
    |
    | Anymore bright ideas?
    |
    Keep searching google - or go play in your registry (set a system restore
    point and backup the registry first!) and search for "tips" or "balloon" or
    stuff like that and see what you can find.

    Another idea to consider is to change the delay before the tips pop up.
    Maybe you can find settings for that, and delay it like 30 seconds or
    so...then you'd probably never get your mouse left in one spot long enough
    for it to be a problem.
     
    Toolman Tim, Dec 13, 2004
    #17
  18. Steve

    AmericanMusclecar

    Joined:
    Jun 8, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    Removing the "Tool Tips" - "Balloon Tips" - Pop Up Descriptions

    So, I found in the Control Panel where you can simply UNCHECK the feature

    Go to Control Panel:
    Choose Folder Options
    Pick the View Tab
    In the Files and Folders check boxes
    locate "Show pop up description for folder and desktop items"
    and UNCHECK the box...

    Those freekin little yellow boxes... ahh they're GONE!:yell:http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/images/smilies/YELL.gif
    I totally miss the professional simplicity of my Apple computer.

    You can tweak Windows all day long and eventually you'll have a smooth machine
     
    AmericanMusclecar, Jun 8, 2011
    #18
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. peterf
    Replies:
    12
    Views:
    890
    Fafafoooey
    Jul 8, 2005
  2. Miles

    Explorer page title, any way to turn off?

    Miles, Dec 4, 2003, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    469
  3. Adam

    Tooltips (icon prompts) not working

    Adam, Feb 27, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    643
  4. Lady Rhyanon

    "tooltips" box

    Lady Rhyanon, Jul 24, 2005, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    1,994
    Shep©
    Jul 24, 2005
  5. -Dan-

    Tooltips under Taskbar

    -Dan-, Aug 14, 2005, in forum: Windows 64bit
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    473
    Colin Barnhorst
    Aug 15, 2005
Loading...

Share This Page