A way to transfer data from My Sky to a PC or backup My Sky data?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Donchano, Feb 8, 2010.

  1. Donchano

    Donchano Guest

    After experiencing problems with My Sky not turning off ... then not
    turning on ... then not turning off, even after disconnecting the
    power and resetting ... several times ... I called Sky, went through a
    few exercises with them and they said I had a "hard drive problem" and
    that they'd have to send out a tech.

    After confirming that I could no longer access my "Planner" or record
    any new programmes, they also said that I would probably not be able
    to retrieve any of the programmes we had saved on the bloody hard
    drive.

    So ... is there any way anyone know of to transfer what's on the hard
    drive to a laptop? I've done a google search and the consensus is
    "no." But who knows what you guys might come up with.

    Alternatively, can any of you recommend a hardware combo that will
    allow me to continue using My Sky to schedule programming, something
    else to record the scheduled programmes so that I can burn those
    programmes to a DVD or BlueRay? Or maybe something more creative than
    that???

    In other words, I would be more than willing to dump My Sky if there
    were any other alternatives that would allow me to access Sky while
    still enjoying the advantages of My Sky without the disadvantages,
    like not being able to backup recorded programmes.

    TIA

    Donchano, Feb 8, 2010

  2. On Mon, 08 Feb 2010 22:05:39 +1300, Donchano <>
    wrote:

    >After experiencing problems with My Sky not turning off ... then not
    >turning on ... then not turning off, even after disconnecting the
    >power and resetting ... several times ... I called Sky, went through a
    >few exercises with them and they said I had a "hard drive problem" and
    >that they'd have to send out a tech.
    >
    >After confirming that I could no longer access my "Planner" or record
    >any new programmes, they also said that I would probably not be able
    >to retrieve any of the programmes we had saved on the bloody hard
    >drive.
    >
    >So ... is there any way anyone know of to transfer what's on the hard
    >drive to a laptop? I've done a google search and the consensus is
    >"no." But who knows what you guys might come up with.
    >
    >Alternatively, can any of you recommend a hardware combo that will
    >allow me to continue using My Sky to schedule programming, something
    >else to record the scheduled programmes so that I can burn those
    >programmes to a DVD or BlueRay? Or maybe something more creative than
    >that???
    >
    >In other words, I would be more than willing to dump My Sky if there
    >were any other alternatives that would allow me to access Sky while
    >still enjoying the advantages of My Sky without the disadvantages,
    >like not being able to backup recorded programmes.
    >
    >TIA

    Simple its a Big No.!

    Frank Williams, Feb 8, 2010

  3. Donchano

    Donchano Guest

    On Tue, 09 Feb 2010 10:37:52 +1300, shouted from the
    highest rooftop:

    >On Mon, 08 Feb 2010 22:05:39 +1300, Donchano
    ><> wrote:
    >

    >>After experiencing problems with My Sky not turning off ... then not
    >>turning on ... then not turning off, even after disconnecting the
    >>power and resetting ... several times ... I called Sky, went through a
    >>few exercises with them and they said I had a "hard drive problem" and
    >>that they'd have to send out a tech.
    >>
    >>After confirming that I could no longer access my "Planner" or record
    >>any new programmes, they also said that I would probably not be able
    >>to retrieve any of the programmes we had saved on the bloody hard
    >>drive.
    >>
    >>So ... is there any way anyone know of to transfer what's on the hard
    >>drive to a laptop? I've done a google search and the consensus is
    >>"no." But who knows what you guys might come up with.
    >>
    >>Alternatively, can any of you recommend a hardware combo that will
    >>allow me to continue using My Sky to schedule programming, something
    >>else to record the scheduled programmes so that I can burn those
    >>programmes to a DVD or BlueRay? Or maybe something more creative than
    >>that???
    >>
    >>In other words, I would be more than willing to dump My Sky if there
    >>were any other alternatives that would allow me to access Sky while
    >>still enjoying the advantages of My Sky without the disadvantages,
    >>like not being able to backup recorded programmes.
    >>
    >>TIA

    >I routinely transfer programs from the MySky HD to DVD using a DVD
    >recorder. Only problem is my recorder is rather old and it cannot
    >record in HD.

    If it's not too difficult to describe can you tell me how you've got
    it set up? I'll happily buy a DVD recorder to connect to My Sky but
    don't know how. TIA

    Donchano, Feb 8, 2010
  4. Donchano

    JohnO Guest

    On Feb 9, 10:37 am, wrote:
    > On Mon, 08 Feb 2010 22:05:39 +1300, Donchano
    >

    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >After experiencing problems with My Sky not turning off ... then not
    > >turning on ... then not turning off, even after disconnecting the
    > >power and resetting ... several times ... I called Sky, went through a
    > >few exercises with them and they said I had a "hard drive problem" and
    > >that they'd have to send out a tech.

    > >After confirming that I could no longer access my "Planner" or record
    > >any new programmes, they also said that I would probably not be able
    > >to retrieve any of the programmes we had saved on the bloody hard
    > >drive.

    > >So ... is there any way anyone know of to transfer what's on the hard
    > >drive to a laptop? I've done a google search and the consensus is
    > >"no." But who knows what you guys might come up with.

    > >Alternatively, can any of you recommend a hardware combo that will
    > >allow me to continue using My Sky to schedule programming, something
    > >else to record the scheduled programmes so that I can burn those
    > >programmes to a DVD or BlueRay? Or maybe something more creative than
    > >that???

    > >In other words, I would be more than willing to dump My Sky if there
    > >were any other alternatives that would allow me to access Sky while
    > >still enjoying the advantages of My Sky without the disadvantages,
    > >like not being able to backup recorded programmes.

    > >TIA

    > I routinely transfer programs from the  MySky HD to DVD using a DVD
    > recorder. Only problem is my recorder is rather old and it cannot
    > record in HD.

    If it did record in HD, it wouldn't work due to HD copy protection
    schemes!

    JohnO, Feb 8, 2010
  5. Donchano

    PeeCee Guest

    "Donchano" <> wrote in message

    > After experiencing problems with My Sky not turning off ... then not
    > turning on ... then not turning off, even after disconnecting the
    > power and resetting ... several times ... I called Sky, went through a
    > few exercises with them and they said I had a "hard drive problem" and
    > that they'd have to send out a tech.
    >
    > After confirming that I could no longer access my "Planner" or record
    > any new programmes, they also said that I would probably not be able
    > to retrieve any of the programmes we had saved on the bloody hard
    > drive.
    >
    > So ... is there any way anyone know of to transfer what's on the hard
    > drive to a laptop? I've done a google search and the consensus is
    > "no." But who knows what you guys might come up with.
    >
    > Alternatively, can any of you recommend a hardware combo that will
    > allow me to continue using My Sky to schedule programming, something
    > else to record the scheduled programmes so that I can burn those
    > programmes to a DVD or BlueRay? Or maybe something more creative than
    > that???
    >
    > In other words, I would be more than willing to dump My Sky if there
    > were any other alternatives that would allow me to access Sky while
    > still enjoying the advantages of My Sky without the disadvantages,
    > like not being able to backup recorded programmes.
    >
    > TIA

    Not intimate with the inner workings of MySky but the thought occurs to me
    to simply plug the AV output from MySky into a HD DVD Recorder & then your
    TV downstream from there.

    Best
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Feb 9, 2010
  6. Donchano

    Donchano Guest

    On Tue, 09 Feb 2010 12:15:51 +1300, shouted from the
    highest rooftop:

    <snip>
    >>>I routinely transfer programs from the MySky HD to DVD using a DVD
    >>>recorder. Only problem is my recorder is rather old and it cannot
    >>>record in HD.

    >>If it's not too difficult to describe can you tell me how you've got
    >>it set up? I'll happily buy a DVD recorder to connect to My Sky but
    >>don't know how. TIA

    >The back of the MySky box has two scart outputs. I use the one
    >labelled "fixed audio". The cable has a scart plug at one end and
    >red/yellow/white plugs at the other which I connect to the DVD
    >recorder.
    >
    >I have a sony bravia screen which allows me to choose which screen
    >input I use . (This was originally set up for me by the guy who
    >installed the sky box.) When I am transferring from the mysky to the
    >dvd I play the program on the mysky HD, start recording on the dvd
    >recorder, and monitor it by setting the screen to take its input from
    >the dvd recorder.

    Many thanks for that. The Sky tech just left after replacing the
    faulty box (we lost all our saved programmes), but confirmed that your
    solution will work just fine and left me with an extra set of cables.
    I'll start looking for a DVD recorder this week.

    Donchano, Feb 9, 2010