    often, but a real nuisance when you go to move up a directory, and there is
    no up arrow.

    Peter

    Peter, Aug 2, 2007

  2. Peter

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Fri, 03 Aug 2007 07:19:39 +1200, Peter <>
    exclaimed:

    >So now we have Vista on our PCs at work. Perhaps the most noticeable
    >feature is that it is so slow. Apps definitely take significantly longer
    >to open.

    That's interesting. With Aero turned off, we've found it much of a
    muchness.

    >A surprising feature is that there is no up arrow in Windows Explorer (to go
    >up to the parent directory). I never really noticed this in earlier
    >versions, and wasn't conscious of how much I used it. Now that there there
    >is no up arrow, it is really annoying. It it not something you use very
    >often, but a real nuisance when you go to move up a directory, and there is
    >no up arrow.

    That was one of the first things I noticed too, until I realised how
    it worked. It's actually HEAPS better than an up arrow now - you
    actually just click the folder in the address bar to go back one, or
    several, folders. Once you've got the hang of it it really is much
    better. In fact, now I find it annoying switching back to XP!

    So, if you were in:

    c:\onefolder\twofolder

    It would show as

    [drv] -> Computer -> PartName (c:\) -> onefolder -> twofolder

    If you wanted to go to "onefolder", you just click on it.
    If you want to go back to c:\, you just click the drive name (c:\)
    And if you want to go to "[My] Computer", you just click "Computer"

    Honestly, once you're used to it you'll love it.

    Fred Dagg, Aug 3, 2007

  3. Peter

    Allistar Guest

    Fred Dagg wrote:

    > On Fri, 03 Aug 2007 07:19:39 +1200, Peter <>
    > exclaimed:
    >

    >>So now we have Vista on our PCs at work. Perhaps the most noticeable
    >>feature is that it is so slow. Apps definitely take significantly longer
    >>to open.

    > That's interesting. With Aero turned off, we've found it much of a
    > muchness.
    >
    >>A surprising feature is that there is no up arrow in Windows Explorer (to
    >>go
    >>up to the parent directory). I never really noticed this in earlier
    >>versions, and wasn't conscious of how much I used it. Now that there
    >>there
    >>is no up arrow, it is really annoying. It it not something you use very
    >>often, but a real nuisance when you go to move up a directory, and there
    >>is no up arrow.

    > That was one of the first things I noticed too, until I realised how
    > it worked. It's actually HEAPS better than an up arrow now - you
    > actually just click the folder in the address bar to go back one, or
    > several, folders. Once you've got the hang of it it really is much
    > better. In fact, now I find it annoying switching back to XP!
    >
    > So, if you were in:
    >
    > c:\onefolder\twofolder
    >
    > It would show as
    >
    > [drv] -> Computer -> PartName (c:\) -> onefolder -> twofolder
    >
    > If you wanted to go to "onefolder", you just click on it.
    > If you want to go back to c:\, you just click the drive name (c:\)
    > And if you want to go to "[My] Computer", you just click "Computer"
    >
    > Honestly, once you're used to it you'll love it.

    Sounds like what you have been able to do in GTK2 apps for ages. I agree it
    is a good idea. I think KDE4 is bringing this in to their new Dolphin file
    browser (but I could be wrong).

    Allistar.

    Allistar, Aug 3, 2007
  4. Peter

    Peter Guest

    Fred Dagg wrote:
    > On Fri, 03 Aug 2007 07:19:39 +1200, Peter <>
    >>A surprising feature is that there is no up arrow in Windows Explorer

    > That was one of the first things I noticed too, until I realised how
    > it worked. It's actually HEAPS better than an up arrow now

    Yes, I've tried that, but the functionality isn't that much different to the
    folders panel on the left.
    It turns out that there is a keyboard short cut; alt - up button.

    Peter

    Peter, Aug 3, 2007