A very weird hard disc problem

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Bad Disciple, May 28, 2008.

  1. Bad Disciple

    Bad Disciple Guest

    Hello everyone,

    I'm facing a weird problem with my hard disc.
    It's on my notebook (ACER Travelmate 6292) and I have partitioned
    it in two, C: for system+program files, D: for saving work. I have
    formatted both partitions into NTFS. Then I restore data in the notebook's
    D: saving partition from another external USB hard disc that I have.
    The data in this one is backuped from another computer where it's being
    worked in FAT32 but that external USB disc is now also formated in NTFS.
    Then when I work and start cut and paste (in Windows Explorer) folders
    or files from one place to another in the notebook's D: partition,
    the new folders or files become inaccessible - it says "acces denied"
    and it's even impossible to erase them (so I must reformat the D: partition
    each time again). I mean, I can open and work with files and folders, but
    only when it comes to cut and paste it makes them inaccessible!

    This is an impossible situation and I'm really puzzled what could
    the reason be? Could anyone give a hint?
    Thanks in advance.
    Bad Disciple
    Bad Disciple, May 28, 2008

  2. Bad Disciple

    Ofnuts Guest

    Bad Disciple wrote:
    > Hello everyone,
    >
    > I'm facing a weird problem with my hard disc.
    > It's on my notebook (ACER Travelmate 6292) and I have partitioned
    > it in two, C: for system+program files, D: for saving work. I have
    > formatted both partitions into NTFS. Then I restore data in the notebook's
    > D: saving partition from another external USB hard disc that I have.
    > The data in this one is backuped from another computer where it's being
    > worked in FAT32 but that external USB disc is now also formated in NTFS.
    > Then when I work and start cut and paste (in Windows Explorer) folders
    > or files from one place to another in the notebook's D: partition,
    > the new folders or files become inaccessible - it says "acces denied"
    > and it's even impossible to erase them (so I must reformat the D: partition
    > each time again). I mean, I can open and work with files and folders, but
    > only when it comes to cut and paste it makes them inaccessible!
    >
    > This is an impossible situation and I'm really puzzled what could
    > the reason be? Could anyone give a hint?
    > Thanks in advance.
    > Bad Disciple

    Shot in the dark: NTFS carries ACLs (Access Control Lists), and since
    you are using NTFS on the USB disk, you are importing these ACLs
    together with the files, which make them available only to some ID which
    doesn't exist on the target computer (don't be fooled by the identical
    userids names...). A fix would be to make sure theses files have
    universal access on the USB disk (while it's still connected to the
    source computer). The target computer admin account should also be able
    to set a universal access on them, though (if only by setting such
    access on a parent folder and forcing the recursive setting if the ACLs).

    IMHO you would be better off using FAT32 on the USB disk, and, to
    protect files, either cipher them, or use some "protected partition"
    capability which many of these disks support.
    Ofnuts, May 28, 2008