  1. thingy

    thingy Guest

    1. Advertising

  2. Brian Mathews, Mar 5, 2008

  3. thingy

    thingy Guest

    Brian Mathews wrote:
    > On Thu, 06 Mar 2008 08:48:06 +1300, thingy <> wrote:
    >
    >> http://www.tomshardware.com/2008/03/04/amd_780g_chipset/

    > And to watch HD on a PC, No Thanks

    Maybe, if you are still thinking of a 15 or 17inch monitor 18 inches
    from your nose...if via a 24inch/27inch/30inch LCD monitor though.
    So it depends on the overall concept. The idea seems to be that such a
    "PC" ends up being the core of the 21st century house, so it handles all
    your communications, entertainment and data needs...so using a
    especially configured/spec'd PC/Mac for this duty is seen by some as the
    way forward.

    > Plus you will need a HDMI DRM monitor or TV.

    and yes, thats pretty obvious for commercial stuff, but such features I
    expect to become common in hardware moving forward, just as long as it
    can be turned off.

    regards

    thing

    thingy, Mar 6, 2008
  4. thingy

    BTMO Guest

    "thingy" <> wrote

    >> And to watch HD on a PC, No Thanks
    >>

    > Maybe, if you are still thinking of a 15 or 17inch monitor 18 inches from
    > your nose...if via a 24inch/27inch/30inch LCD monitor though.
    > So it depends on the overall concept. The idea seems to be that such a
    > "PC" ends up being the core of the 21st century house, so it handles all
    > your communications, entertainment and data needs...so using a especially
    > configured/spec'd PC/Mac for this duty is seen by some as the way forward.
    >
    > > Plus you will need a HDMI DRM monitor or TV.

    > and yes, thats pretty obvious for commercial stuff, but such features I
    > expect to become common in hardware moving forward, just as long as it can
    > be turned off.

    Dude... Wodger. You see the issue?

    BTMO, Mar 6, 2008
  5. thingy

    Nighthawk Guest

    Nighthawk, Mar 6, 2008
  6. thingy

    Richard Guest

    thingy wrote:
    > http://www.tomshardware.com/2008/03/04/amd_780g_chipset/

    Looks like a really nice board for upgrading my htpc to cope with DTT -
    no component outs however for my tv unless they can do it via the dvi
    plug like some ati video cards.

    Shame that it seems most of them waste space with 2 pci slots that could
    have being pci express. This board has made me re-evaluate what I will
    get for a htpc since I now no longer need a high end 3d card just to get
    mpeg4 acceleration.

    Richard, Mar 6, 2008
  7. thingy

    thingy Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > thingy wrote:
    >> http://www.tomshardware.com/2008/03/04/amd_780g_chipset/

    > Looks like a really nice board for upgrading my htpc to cope with DTT -
    > no component outs however for my tv unless they can do it via the dvi
    > plug like some ati video cards.
    >
    > Shame that it seems most of them waste space with 2 pci slots that could
    > have being pci express. This board has made me re-evaluate what I will
    > get for a htpc since I now no longer need a high end 3d card just to get
    > mpeg4 acceleration.

    There seems to be few pci-e add on cards especially when I consider the
    ones I have come across as junk...I cant understand why they dont
    include at least one pci-e 4 lane slot if not two....1's seem pointless
    in quantity...eg most NICs and raid controllers I have come across as
    worth buying are pci-e x 4....and i cant conceive of a setup that would
    utilise 4 x pci-e 1 lanes!

    So, for many good devices pci seems worthwhile still.

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Mar 7, 2008
  8. thingy

    thingy Guest

    BTMO wrote:
    > "thingy" <> wrote
    >

    >>> And to watch HD on a PC, No Thanks
    >>>

    >> Maybe, if you are still thinking of a 15 or 17inch monitor 18 inches from
    >> your nose...if via a 24inch/27inch/30inch LCD monitor though.
    >> So it depends on the overall concept. The idea seems to be that such a
    >> "PC" ends up being the core of the 21st century house, so it handles all
    >> your communications, entertainment and data needs...so using a especially
    >> configured/spec'd PC/Mac for this duty is seen by some as the way forward.
    >>
    >>> Plus you will need a HDMI DRM monitor or TV.

    >> and yes, thats pretty obvious for commercial stuff, but such features I
    >> expect to become common in hardware moving forward, just as long as it can
    >> be turned off.

    > Dude... Wodger. You see the issue?

    ah....I do now, should have figured that one....

    regards

    thing

    thingy, Mar 7, 2008
  9. thingy

    Richard Guest

    thingy wrote:

    > There seems to be few pci-e add on cards especially when I consider the
    > ones I have come across as junk...I cant understand why they dont
    > include at least one pci-e 4 lane slot if not two....1's seem pointless
    > in quantity...eg most NICs and raid controllers I have come across as
    > worth buying are pci-e x 4....and i cant conceive of a setup that would
    > utilise 4 x pci-e 1 lanes!
    >
    > So, for many good devices pci seems worthwhile still.

    There are tuner cards coming out in pci-e, esatas are in it, cant think
    of anything else that would be needed on a machine IMO since the HDaudio
    codecs onboard.

    More lanes would be better. They manage to make a degree of
    configuration with the SLI slots on some boards so I would like to see
    the ability to change the lanes around how I want, so all the physical
    slots could be longer ones, and just turn off the lanes that are not
    required.

    Richard, Mar 7, 2008
  10. thingy

    Richard Guest

    Brian Mathews wrote:
    > On Thu, 06 Mar 2008 08:48:06 +1300, thingy <> wrote:
    >
    >> http://www.tomshardware.com/2008/03/04/amd_780g_chipset/

    > And to watch HD on a PC, No Thanks

    What would you rather watch them on? A standalone player which costs
    more then a htpc does in nz? How about a PS3 - except only teenagers
    have those...

    > Plus you will need a HDMI DRM monitor or TV.

    Only need that if your source material requires it to be present, so its
    really only a problem for those that buy their content. Another example
    of the rights respecting people getting screwed over

    Richard, Mar 7, 2008
  11. thingy

    Richard Guest

    Richard, Mar 9, 2008