A Variety Of Questions, If I May

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Pete Holland Jr., Jan 18, 2004.

  1. Hey, everybody!

    Some general questions about computers, if anyone can help.

    1) I was looking over some books at the store today about
    programming. Being a total newb, I started looking at "C++
    For Dummies", and it came with a "GNU compiler". What does
    GNU stand for, and does this compiler mean it will take what
    I make and turn it into code that will run on a computer
    without this compiler installed?

    1a) Is this an actual C++ programming utility, or just a
    "sampler" and I need to buy an actual full-version to get
    things done? It seems a bit far fetched that VStudio costs
    so much but here's a book and programming utility for $25.

    2) Will a C++ program, once compiled, run in DOS mode or
    only in a Windows environment?

    3) Likewise, can I write a program like a game that will
    also run on a Linux machine?

    4) A question about Linux--one book came with Red Hat
    Fedora. One guy told me he had heard that, to run Linux,
    you sort of renew your subscription to it. Every year, you
    log in and kick in cash, you get updated software, and off
    you go. Is this true?

    5) Supposing I opt to go with Linux and Windows both so I
    can work and play my games. I heard that by partitioning my
    hard drive, I can basically make, say, an 80G into two 40's,
    and the partitions will be treated as seperate drives. Is
    there a way to repartition without losing my data on the
    drive, or do I need to make a backup and install that?

    6) Of the programming tutorials I saw, I saw BASIC, Java,
    C++, and Visual BASIC. I've already dismissed BASIC, what
    about the other three? Can they all be used for general
    programming?

    Thanks for your help.

    Dobre utka,
    Pete Holland Jr.

    Pete Holland Jr., Jan 18, 2004

  2. Pete Holland Jr.

    Ghostmaster Guest

    Pete Holland Jr. wrote:
    : Hey, everybody!
    :
    : Some general questions about computers, if anyone can help.

    <snip>
    :
    : Thanks for your help.
    :
    : Dobre utka,
    : Pete Holland Jr.

    Google is your friend!
    http://searchwin2000.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid1_gci211824,00.html

    So is this website! http://whatis.techtarget.com/

    --
    Get those creative juices flowing here is your chance to create a 30
    second commercial movie file for your favorite Operating System. Be

    Ghostmaster, Jan 18, 2004

  3. Pete Holland Jr.

    B.Al.Zeebub Guest

    On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 01:41:48 -0600, Pete Holland Jr. pecked at a keyboard
    in panic:
    I won't reply to all the questions becuase I don't do programming.
    however...

    http://www.gnu.org/

    > 3) Likewise, can I write a program like a game that will
    > also run on a Linux machine?

    Yes.

    > 4) A question about Linux--one book came with Red Hat
    > Fedora. One guy told me he had heard that, to run Linux,
    > you sort of renew your subscription to it. Every year, you
    > log in and kick in cash, you get updated software, and off
    > you go. Is this true?

    Not quite. Linux distributions can be downloaded free of charge. You can
    buy boxed CDs of Linux distributions from the vendors that come with
    thousands of software packages. Software and security updates are
    available from the Linux distributors' website. You can also 'subscribe'
    to a distribution and get extra goodies.

    http://www.linuxiso.org/
    http://www.distrowatch.com/

    > 5) Supposing I opt to go with Linux and Windows both so I
    > can work and play my games. I heard that by partitioning my
    > hard drive, I can basically make, say, an 80G into two 40's,
    > and the partitions will be treated as seperate drives. Is
    > there a way to repartition without losing my data on the
    > drive, or do I need to make a backup and install that?

    Er, er you make backups regularly anyway, don't you??? hmmmm...
    Dual booting is easy to set up with Mandrake Linux or Suse Linux. Just
    make sure you do that backup first with something like a drive imaging
    program first. You can also take Linux for a test drive to see if you like
    it without having to install anything.

    http://tinyurl.com/247te
    http://www.knoppix.org/
    http://www.mandrakesoft.com/products/mandrakemove/
    Suse live evaluation CD ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/
    --
    B.Al.Zeebub
    Registered Linux User #339345

    B.Al.Zeebub, Jan 18, 2004
  4. In article <iMqOb.374$>, says...
    > Hey, everybody!
    >
    > Some general questions about computers, if anyone can help.
    >
    > 1) I was looking over some books at the store today about
    > programming. Being a total newb, I started looking at "C++
    > For Dummies", and it came with a "GNU compiler". What does
    > GNU stand for, and does this compiler mean it will take what
    > I make and turn it into code that will run on a computer
    > without this compiler installed?

    GNU is a recursive acronym: "Gnu's Not Unix". Yes, the compiled program
    will run on a computer that doesn't have GNU C++ installed.

    > 1a) Is this an actual C++ programming utility, or just a
    > "sampler" and I need to buy an actual full-version to get
    > things done?

    It's probrably the full thing. You can get it from http://www.gnu.org/
    if it isn't.

    > It seems a bit far fetched that VStudio costs
    > so much but here's a book and programming utility for $25.

    The GNU range of software is free. Read the GPL for more information
    because the licensing of software you've written with it may not suit
    you.

    > 2) Will a C++ program, once compiled, run in DOS mode or
    > only in a Windows environment?

    That depends on how you compile it.

    > 3) Likewise, can I write a program like a game that will
    > also run on a Linux machine?

    With C++? That depends. If you write your game for MS Windows, with
    Windows functionality, it won't compile for Linux. OTOH, if it's just a
    text-based CLI game, it may well run on both.

    There's more info. at http://fedora.redhat.com/.
    http://www.mandrake.com/ is a nice distribution.

    > 5) Supposing I opt to go with Linux and Windows both so I
    > can work and play my games. I heard that by partitioning my
    > hard drive, I can basically make, say, an 80G into two 40's,
    > and the partitions will be treated as seperate drives. Is
    > there a way to repartition without losing my data on the
    > drive, or do I need to make a backup and install that?

    You can partition your drive and retain data so long as you have less
    that 40GB of data, that is. Linux distributions may have a utility
    called FIPS that will do this while the drive is live. I'd certainly
    back-up important data, though, as most of the software that comes with
    Linux has limited liability and warranty.

    > 6) Of the programming tutorials I saw, I saw BASIC, Java,
    > C++, and Visual BASIC. I've already dismissed BASIC, what
    > about the other three? Can they all be used for general
    > programming?

    Start with Visual BASIC? You don't "sound" like an experienced
    programmer, so it may be a good starting point. Of the others I'd go
    for C++. It's faster than Java, and reasonably portable. OTOH, Java
    will let you write games for mobile 'phones.

    --
    Hywel I do not eat quiche
    http://hyweljenkins.co.uk/

    Hywel Jenkins, Jan 18, 2004
  5. Pete Holland Jr.

    Cicero Guest

    "Pete Holland Jr." <> wrote in message
    > Hey, everybody!
    >
    > Some general questions about computers, if anyone can help.

    <snipped>

    > 6) Of the programming tutorials I saw, I saw BASIC, Java,
    > C++, and Visual BASIC. I've already dismissed BASIC,

    <snipped>

    > Thanks for your help.
    >
    > Dobre utka,
    > Pete Holland Jr.

    =============
    Why have you dismissed Basic? There are many different varieties of Basic
    and they are usually a good inexpensive introduction to programming
    techniques. Two versions, Gwbasic and Qbasic are well worth looking at
    especially Qbasic which has a compiler version (makes *.exe files).

    Cic.

    Cicero, Jan 18, 2004
  6. Pete Holland Jr.

    why? Guest

    On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 01:41:48 -0600, Pete Holland Jr. wrote:

    >Hey, everybody!
    >
    >Some general questions about computers, if anyone can help.
    >
    >1) I was looking over some books at the store today about
    >programming. Being a total newb, I started looking at "C++
    >For Dummies", and it came with a "GNU compiler". What does

    <snip>

    >1a) Is this an actual C++ programming utility, or just a
    >"sampler" and I need to buy an actual full-version to get
    >things done? It seems a bit far fetched that VStudio costs
    >so much but here's a book and programming utility for $25.

    For Linux, it comes with C++ compiler, during install simply select the
    appropriate development tools options.

    If you need a C++ compiler for DOS/Command prompt try
    http://www.delorie.com/djgpp/
    (see help section for creating Windows based apps)

    Also see the cygwin stuff
    http://www.cygwin.com/
    # Cygwin is a Linux-like environment for Windows. It consists of two
    parts: A DLL (cygwin1.dll) which acts as a Linux emulation layer
    providing substantial Linux API functionality.
    # A collection of tools, which provide Linux look and feel.

    <snip>

    >4) A question about Linux--one book came with Red Hat
    >Fedora. One guy told me he had heard that, to run Linux,
    >you sort of renew your subscription to it. Every year, you
    >log in and kick in cash, you get updated software, and off
    >you go. Is this true?

    Don't know about Fedora yet, haven't swapped fully over since RH Linux
    support expired and the change to the 'Enterprise' line.

    Basically until a few months ago, the update system had several options.

    1. Download updates from one of the many public mirrors. Depending on
    importance of update, time to mirror across sites, heavy access you
    could not get the update for days.

    2. Register your system on the RedHat Network, basic info including list
    of packages you get email notification and a small survey to fill in
    ocassionally to continue the free registration.

    2a) As 1 but off the RH servers, again subject to public demand.
    2b) Pay a fairly small yearly fee to gain access to priority downloads.

    I think Fedora still has the basic free registration, simply to gather
    system info so it knows which packages/updates you have/need.

    The Fedora updates are available off many public FTP mirrors, so it's
    simply a case of downloading them and burning to CD.

    You can still go for the supported options via,
    http://www.redhat.com/software/
    or the not supported by RH
    http://fedora.redhat.com/
    see the update options.