A users experince of Ubuntu 5.04...

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Max Burke, Apr 11, 2005.

  1. Max Burke

    Max Burke Guest

    Not mine...
    I'm seriously considering building a basic system to install and play with
    all these Linux distro's I have collected over the last few months. (8 and
    counting) ;-)

    Anyway....

    http://mpt.net.nz/archive/2005/04/11/ubuntu
    This is not a review. Nor is it a list of the most important design flaws in
    Ubuntu. It is merely the flaws I have noticed, in the programs I've been
    using, over the past two days. Many of these flaws probably exist in other
    Gnome-based systems, and some of them also exist in Microsoft Windows and/or
    Mac OS.

    Found Images
    Max Burke, Apr 11, 2005

  2. Max Burke

    Steve Guest

    On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 21:51:23 +1200, Max Burke wrote:

    > Not mine...
    > I'm seriously considering building a basic system to install and play with
    > all these Linux distro's I have collected over the last few months. (8 and
    > counting) ;-)
    >

    > Anyway....
    >
    > http://mpt.net.nz/archive/2005/04/11/ubuntu This is not a review. Nor is
    > it a list of the most important design flaws in Ubuntu. It is merely the
    > flaws I have noticed, in the programs I've been using, over the past two
    > days. Many of these flaws probably exist in other Gnome-based systems, and
    > some of them also exist in Microsoft Windows and/or Mac OS.

    Oh the ultimate sin. Using the word reboot. If this is as bad as it gets...

    As one who uses a linux desktop at all times in preference, I find most of
    the complaints ( incorrect capitalization on the menus, for *insert deity
    here*'s sake ) to be really trivial.

    Get a life.

    Steve
    Steve, Apr 11, 2005

  3. Max Burke

    shannon Guest

    On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 21:51:23 +1200, Max Burke wrote:

    > Not mine...
    > I'm seriously considering building a basic system to install and play with
    > all these Linux distro's I have collected over the last few months. (8 and
    > counting) ;-)
    >

    > Anyway....
    >
    > http://mpt.net.nz/archive/2005/04/11/ubuntu
    > This is not a review. Nor is it a list of the most important design flaws in
    > Ubuntu. It is merely the flaws I have noticed, in the programs I've been
    > using, over the past two days. Many of these flaws probably exist in other
    > Gnome-based systems, and some of them also exist in Microsoft Windows and/or
    > Mac OS.

    Its pretty fair

    OTOH if this guy reviewed Windows you would post a big dummy spitting
    tantrum about **OS/NIX Microsoft Bashing**

    <snigger>
    shannon, Apr 11, 2005
  4. Max Burke

    Chris Hope Guest

    Max Burke wrote:

    > Not mine...
    > I'm seriously considering building a basic system to install and play
    > with all these Linux distro's I have collected over the last few
    > months. (8 and
    > counting) ;-)
    >
    > Anyway....
    >
    > http://mpt.net.nz/archive/2005/04/11/ubuntu
    > This is not a review. Nor is it a list of the most important design
    > flaws in Ubuntu. It is merely the flaws I have noticed, in the
    > programs I've been using, over the past two days. Many of these flaws
    > probably exist in other Gnome-based systems, and some of them also
    > exist in Microsoft Windows and/or Mac OS.

    Apart from the specific application complaints, those mostly look like
    issues with Gnome itself rather than Ubuntu from my quick look through
    your list, and you'll find the same issues with Gnome running on any
    distro.

    Chris Hope, Apr 11, 2005
  5. Max Burke

    AD. Guest

    On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 22:13:42 +1200, shannon wrote:

    > On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 21:51:23 +1200, Max Burke wrote:
    >
    >> Not mine...
    >> I'm seriously considering building a basic system to install and play
    >> with all these Linux distro's I have collected over the last few months.
    >> (8 and counting) ;-)
    >>

    >> Anyway....
    >>
    >> http://mpt.net.nz/archive/2005/04/11/ubuntu This is not a review. Nor is
    >> it a list of the most important design flaws in Ubuntu. It is merely the
    >> flaws I have noticed, in the programs I've been using, over the past two
    >> days. Many of these flaws probably exist in other Gnome-based systems,
    >> and some of them also exist in Microsoft Windows and/or Mac OS.

    > Its pretty fair
    >
    > OTOH if this guy reviewed Windows you would post a big dummy spitting
    > tantrum about **OS/NIX Microsoft Bashing**

    Actually the reason he is so nit picky, is that he actually works for
    Canonical as an interface designer (at the bottom of the post).

    You get a similar amount of stuff produced by an Apple or MS interface
    designer about their own products (they just probably wouldn't air them in
    public).

    I can't imagine most users even picking up on 10% of that stuff.

    --
    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., Apr 11, 2005
  6. Max Burke

    Matty Guest

    On 2005-04-11 22:13:42 +1200, Chris Hope <> said:

    > Max Burke wrote:
    >
    >> Not mine...
    >> I'm seriously considering building a basic system to install and play
    >> with all these Linux distro's I have collected over the last few
    >> months. (8 and
    >> counting) ;-)
    >>
    >> Anyway....
    >>
    >> http://mpt.net.nz/archive/2005/04/11/ubuntu
    >> This is not a review. Nor is it a list of the most important design
    >> flaws in Ubuntu. It is merely the flaws I have noticed, in the
    >> programs I've been using, over the past two days. Many of these flaws
    >> probably exist in other Gnome-based systems, and some of them also
    >> exist in Microsoft Windows and/or Mac OS.

    > Apart from the specific application complaints, those mostly look like
    > issues with Gnome itself rather than Ubuntu from my quick look through
    > your list, and you'll find the same issues with Gnome running on any
    > distro.

    True, but the good side is this; when a user does consider installing
    it, they atleast know what to expect - nothing worse than an overly
    optimistic review of a product, only to be severly disappointment when
    you come to install it, only to find that the optimism was unfounded.

    Matt
    Matty, Apr 11, 2005
  7. In article <2005041123240175249%kaiwainz@yahoocomau>, Matty <> wrote:
    >On 2005-04-11 22:13:42 +1200, Chris Hope <> said:
    >
    >> Max Burke wrote:
    >>
    >>> Not mine...
    >>> I'm seriously considering building a basic system to install and play
    >>> with all these Linux distro's I have collected over the last few
    >>> months. (8 and
    >>> counting) ;-)
    >>>
    >>> Anyway....
    >>>
    >>> http://mpt.net.nz/archive/2005/04/11/ubuntu
    >>> This is not a review. Nor is it a list of the most important design
    >>> flaws in Ubuntu. It is merely the flaws I have noticed, in the
    >>> programs I've been using, over the past two days. Many of these flaws
    >>> probably exist in other Gnome-based systems, and some of them also
    >>> exist in Microsoft Windows and/or Mac OS.

    >> Apart from the specific application complaints, those mostly look like
    >> issues with Gnome itself rather than Ubuntu from my quick look through
    >> your list, and you'll find the same issues with Gnome running on any
    >> distro.

    >True, but the good side is this; when a user does consider installing
    >it, they atleast know what to expect - nothing worse than an overly
    >optimistic review of a product, only to be severly disappointment when
    >you come to install it, only to find that the optimism was unfounded.

    ... but waht if they used KDE instead ? ... would those complaints still be
    valid ? :)

    Bruce

    -------------------------------------
    - George Bernard Shaw
    - Ambrose Bierce

    (if there were any)
    Bruce Sinclair, Apr 11, 2005
  8. Max Burke

    shannon Guest

    AD. wrote:
    > On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 22:13:42 +1200, shannon wrote:
    >

    >>On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 21:51:23 +1200, Max Burke wrote:
    >>

    >>>Not mine...
    >>>I'm seriously considering building a basic system to install and play
    >>>with all these Linux distro's I have collected over the last few months.
    >>>(8 and counting) ;-)
    >>>

    >>>Anyway....
    >>>
    >>>http://mpt.net.nz/archive/2005/04/11/ubuntu This is not a review. Nor is
    >>>it a list of the most important design flaws in Ubuntu. It is merely the
    >>>flaws I have noticed, in the programs I've been using, over the past two
    >>>days. Many of these flaws probably exist in other Gnome-based systems,
    >>>and some of them also exist in Microsoft Windows and/or Mac OS.

    >>Its pretty fair
    >>
    >>OTOH if this guy reviewed Windows you would post a big dummy spitting
    >>tantrum about **OS/NIX Microsoft Bashing**

    > Actually the reason he is so nit picky, is that he actually works for
    > Canonical as an interface designer (at the bottom of the post).
    >
    > You get a similar amount of stuff produced by an Apple or MS interface
    > designer about their own products (they just probably wouldn't air them in
    > public).
    >
    > I can't imagine most users even picking up on 10% of that stuff.

    Gnome is improving in leaps and bounds since Havoc Penningtons HID
    guidelines, and having Gnome developers as part of Ubuntu is really
    revving it up.
    Windows Windbag could have quoted any Gnome mailing list for similar
    criticisms.
    I think that the attention that has been focussed on Debian by Xandros
    Linspire and Ubuntu is paying big dividends, I've really noticed the
    improvements that have been rolled back into debian.
    shannon, Apr 11, 2005
  9. In article <d3esqe$gsl$>, Chris Hope <> wrote:
    >Bruce Sinclair wrote:

    (snip)

    >>>True, but the good side is this; when a user does consider installing
    >>>it, they atleast know what to expect - nothing worse than an overly
    >>>optimistic review of a product, only to be severly disappointment when
    >>>you come to install it, only to find that the optimism was unfounded.

    >> .. but waht if they used KDE instead ? ... would those complaints
    >> still be valid ? :)

    >Ah but then that would be "a user's experience of *k*ubuntu 5.04" ;)

    Ah ! ... righto :)

    Idle aside question (as there seem to be a few knowledgable linux users
    here) ...

    I'm currently running RH9.
    I have FC3 on CD
    I'm a bit loathe to install FC3 (as I'm still really a newbie at this linux
    stuff :) ) in case it breaks the RH 9 install.

    Is it possible to install FC3 without breaking the working version of RH9 ?
    ... and if so, are there simple instructions as to how to do this somewhere
    ? ... and if so, where ? :)

    Any help most welcome.

    Bruce

    -------------------------------------
    - George Bernard Shaw
    - Ambrose Bierce

    (if there were any)
    Bruce Sinclair, Apr 11, 2005
  10. Max Burke

    AD. Guest

    On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 09:44:47 +1200, shannon wrote:

    > Gnome is improving in leaps and bounds since Havoc Penningtons HID
    > guidelines, and having Gnome developers as part of Ubuntu is really
    > revving it up.

    I haven't installed Hoary yet (I've downloaded it though), but with Warty
    it was the first time I've ever thought that GNOME was approaching usable.

    With GNOME I always seem to have trouble picking out which window edges
    and title bars apply to which apps - they all seems to visually merge
    with one another. I don't seem to get that with KDE. And although you can
    change it, everything always seems so grey and grimy.

    The vanilla Debian GNOME seems a step backwards from Ubuntu
    (subjectively). I'll have to try out Kubuntu as well :)

    --
    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., Apr 11, 2005
  11. Max Burke

    shannon Guest

    AD. wrote:
    > On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 09:44:47 +1200, shannon wrote:
    >

    >>Gnome is improving in leaps and bounds since Havoc Penningtons HID
    >>guidelines, and having Gnome developers as part of Ubuntu is really
    >>revving it up.

    > I haven't installed Hoary yet (I've downloaded it though), but with Warty
    > it was the first time I've ever thought that GNOME was approaching usable.
    >
    > With GNOME I always seem to have trouble picking out which window edges
    > and title bars apply to which apps - they all seems to visually merge
    > with one another. I don't seem to get that with KDE. And although you can
    > change it, everything always seems so grey and grimy.
    >
    > The vanilla Debian GNOME seems a step backwards from Ubuntu
    > (subjectively). I'll have to try out Kubuntu as well :)

    I added the Hoary sources and apt-get dist-upgraded several weeks ago.
    I must see if I can side-grade to Kubuntu the debian way
    :)
    shannon, Apr 11, 2005
  12. In article <d3f02h$n9o$>, Chris Hope <> wrote:
    >Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    >> In article <d3esqe$gsl$>, Chris Hope
    >> <> wrote:
    >>>Bruce Sinclair wrote:

    >> (snip)

    >>>Ah but then that would be "a user's experience of *k*ubuntu 5.04" ;)

    >> Ah ! ... righto :)
    >>
    >> Idle aside question (as there seem to be a few knowledgable linux
    >> users here) ...
    >>
    >> I'm currently running RH9.
    >> I have FC3 on CD
    >> I'm a bit loathe to install FC3 (as I'm still really a newbie at this
    >> linux stuff :) ) in case it breaks the RH 9 install.
    >>
    >> Is it possible to install FC3 without breaking the working version of
    >> RH9 ? .. and if so, are there simple instructions as to how to do this
    >> somewhere ? ... and if so, where ? :)

    >There is an upgrade function in the RH and FC installers which
    >presumably would work without screwing things up as they should install
    >stuff into the same locations. I'll load in a basic RH9 setup into a
    >VMWare virtual machine and then try to upgrade it to FC3 and let you
    >know.

    That would be greatly appreciate - I thought that the location of some
    links and such like had been changed from RH9 to FC.

    Bruce

    -------------------------------------
    - George Bernard Shaw
    - Ambrose Bierce

    (if there were any)
    Bruce Sinclair, Apr 11, 2005
  13. Max Burke

    Chris Hope Guest

    Chris Hope, Apr 11, 2005
  14. Max Burke

    shannon Guest

    Chris Hope wrote:
    > Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    >>
    >>.. but waht if they used KDE instead ? ... would those complaints
    >>still be valid ? :)

    > Ah but then that would be "a user's experience of *k*ubuntu 5.04" ;)

    http://kubuntu.org/hoary-release.php

    About Kubuntu

    Kubuntu is the result of several months effort to get KDE 3.4 into
    Ubuntu's main repository and create the first major derived Ubuntu
    distribution. It is not a fork of Ubuntu but an official project of it,
    sharing the same package archive and infrastructure. It is possible to
    convert an Ubuntu system to Kubuntu or vice versa.

    Highlights of KDE 3.4 include the groupware manager Kontact 1.1, the
    multi-protocol instant messenger Kopete and the excellent KPDF reader.
    As well as official KDE applications Kubuntu also features the finest
    pick of leading Free Software desktop programmes.

    KDE's default settings have been tweaked to Ubuntu standards while
    remaining true to KDE. Changes include sudo support, an uncluttered
    desktop and a tidied K-Menu for applications. Kubuntu developers come
    from the KDE and Debian communities and improvements are sent back to
    the original projects. Kubuntu would like to thank the KDE developers
    and Debian KDE packagers for their excellent work.

    Features of Kubuntu 5.04:

    * KDE 3.4
    * HAL support for removable devices
    * Ubuntu-powered out of the box hardware configuration
    * OpenOffice.org office suite
    * Gwenview image viewer
    * amaroK music player
    * K3b CD and DVD burner
    * Konversation IRC chat
    * Kaffeine video player
    * Also available as a live CD

    How to get Kubuntu

    Kubuntu comes in Live CD or Install CD versions available for x86,
    PowerPC and AMD64 platforms. It can be downloaded from:

    http://kubuntu.org/download.php

    Please download by Bittorrent if possible.

    Users with existing Kubuntu installations can upgrade to the final hoary
    with dist-upgrade. Existing Ubuntu users can install Kubuntu with the
    kubuntu-desktop package.
    shannon, Apr 11, 2005
  15. In article <d3f0q4$p05$>, Chris Hope <> wrote:
    >Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    >> In article <d3f02h$n9o$>, Chris Hope
    >> <> wrote:

    >>>There is an upgrade function in the RH and FC installers which
    >>>presumably would work without screwing things up as they should
    >>>install stuff into the same locations. I'll load in a basic RH9 setup
    >>>into a VMWare virtual machine and then try to upgrade it to FC3 and
    >>>let you know.

    >> That would be greatly appreciate - I thought that the location of some
    >> links and such like had been changed from RH9 to FC.

    >Are you running Gnome, KDE or a different WM?

    I run both, but mostly kde. Basically I use gnome for quick CD writing only
    and kde for everything else.

    Bruce

    -------------------------------------
    - George Bernard Shaw
    - Ambrose Bierce

    (if there were any)
    Bruce Sinclair, Apr 11, 2005
  16. Max Burke

    AD. Guest

    On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 10:08:55 +1200, shannon wrote:

    > I added the Hoary sources and apt-get dist-upgraded several weeks ago. I
    > must see if I can side-grade to Kubuntu the debian way

    From what I've understood it is just a meta package you can apt-get. But I
    could have got that wrong :)

    --
    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., Apr 11, 2005
  17. Max Burke

    shannon Guest

    AD. wrote:
    > On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 10:08:55 +1200, shannon wrote:
    >

    >>I added the Hoary sources and apt-get dist-upgraded several weeks ago. I
    >>must see if I can side-grade to Kubuntu the debian way

    > From what I've understood it is just a meta package you can apt-get. But I
    > could have got that wrong :)

    Yep
    apt-get install kubuntu-desktop running now
    shannon, Apr 11, 2005
  18. Max Burke

    Chris Hope Guest

    Chris Hope, Apr 12, 2005
  19. Max Burke

    Chris Hope Guest

    Chris Hope, Apr 12, 2005
  20. Max Burke

    shannon Guest

    On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 10:53:11 +1200, shannon wrote:

    > AD. wrote:
    >> On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 10:08:55 +1200, shannon wrote:
    >>

    >>>I added the Hoary sources and apt-get dist-upgraded several weeks ago. I
    >>>must see if I can side-grade to Kubuntu the debian way

    >> From what I've understood it is just a meta package you can apt-get. But I
    >> could have got that wrong :)
    >>

    > Yep
    > apt-get install kubuntu-desktop running now

    Wow, it migrated me to xorg as well!
    shannon, Apr 12, 2005