    have to maximize it to be able to see it again. It is still usable, but
    I'm curious to know what could have caused this change, and if it's
    possible to restore the proper behaviour.

    Gib Bogle, Jul 26, 2011

  2. Gib Bogle

    Me Guest

    On 27/07/2011 10:15 a.m., Gib Bogle wrote:
    > I have a Cisco VPN Client program. Until a few days ago, it would start
    > in a small pop-up window. Now it can be viewed only if it is maximized,
    > i.e. full-screen. Clicking the resize button causes it to be minimized,
    > and then clicking the icon on the taskbar does not make it visible. I
    > have to maximize it to be able to see it again. It is still usable, but
    > I'm curious to know what could have caused this change, and if it's
    > possible to restore the proper behaviour.

    Perhaps you've got it's "restored" window position near or totally
    off-screen, at the very edge, or under the taskbar etc. Sometimes
    happens to me if I'm using programs with the same PC, connected at
    different times to different monitors with different resolutions.
    Fix might be as simple as changing (increasing) screen resolution,
    finding the window in it's "restored" state, dragging it somewhere where
    you'll be able to see it at normal resolution, then resetting resolution
    back to normal.

    Me, Jul 27, 2011

  3. Gib Bogle

    Ron McNulty Guest

    On Jul 27, 11:01 am, Me <> wrote:
    > On 27/07/2011 10:15 a.m., Gib Bogle wrote:
    >
    > > I have a Cisco VPN Client program. Until a few days ago, it would start
    > > in a small pop-up window. Now it can be viewed only if it is maximized,
    > > i.e. full-screen. Clicking the resize button causes it to be minimized,
    > > and then clicking the icon on the taskbar does not make it visible. I
    > > have to maximize it to be able to see it again. It is still usable, but
    > > I'm curious to know what could have caused this change, and if it's
    > > possible to restore the proper behaviour.

    > Perhaps you've got it's "restored" window position near or totally
    > off-screen, at the very edge, or under the taskbar etc.  Sometimes
    > happens to me if I'm using programs with the same PC, connected at
    > different times to different monitors with different resolutions.
    > Fix might be as simple as changing (increasing) screen resolution,
    > finding the window in it's "restored" state, dragging it somewhere where
    > you'll be able to see it at normal resolution, then resetting resolution
    > back to normal.

    Minimise the window, and hold down <Alt> and type <space> then M. That
    will select "Move" from the top left-hand windows menu. Fiddle with
    the arrow keys, and you should be able to bring it back on screen.

    This typically happens if you re-arrange a dual monitor setup.

    Regards

    Ron

    Ron McNulty, Jul 27, 2011
  4. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    On 27/07/2011 6:44 p.m., Ron McNulty wrote:
    >> Perhaps you've got it's "restored" window position near or totally
    >> off-screen, at the very edge, or under the taskbar etc. Sometimes
    >> happens to me if I'm using programs with the same PC, connected at
    >> different times to different monitors with different resolutions.
    >> Fix might be as simple as changing (increasing) screen resolution,
    >> finding the window in it's "restored" state, dragging it somewhere where
    >> you'll be able to see it at normal resolution, then resetting resolution
    >> back to normal.

    > Minimise the window, and hold down<Alt> and type<space> then M. That
    > will select "Move" from the top left-hand windows menu. Fiddle with
    > the arrow keys, and you should be able to bring it back on screen.
    >
    > This typically happens if you re-arrange a dual monitor setup.

    Thanks Ron, that did it! I haven't done anything with a dual monitor,
    or changed the monitor or the resolution, this just seemed to happen
    spontaneously. Just another Windows mystery.

    Gib Bogle, Jul 27, 2011
  5. Gib Bogle

    Ron McNulty Guest

    On Jul 27, 10:04 pm, Gib Bogle <> wrote:
    > On 27/07/2011 6:44 p.m., Ron McNulty wrote:
    >
    > >> Perhaps you've got it's "restored" window position near or totally
    > >> off-screen, at the very edge, or under the taskbar etc.  Sometimes
    > >> happens to me if I'm using programs with the same PC, connected at
    > >> different times to different monitors with different resolutions.
    > >> Fix might be as simple as changing (increasing) screen resolution,
    > >> finding the window in it's "restored" state, dragging it somewhere where
    > >> you'll be able to see it at normal resolution, then resetting resolution
    > >> back to normal.

    > > Minimise the window, and hold down<Alt>  and type<space>  then M. That
    > > will select "Move" from the top left-hand windows menu. Fiddle with
    > > the arrow keys, and you should be able to bring it back on screen.

    > > This typically happens if you re-arrange a dual monitor setup.

    > Thanks Ron, that did it!  I haven't done anything with a dual monitor,
    > or changed the monitor or the resolution, this just seemed to happen
    > spontaneously.  Just another Windows mystery.

    Hi Gib

    Great result. I must admit that the first time it happened to me (MS
    Word disappeared) I did a registry edit to get it back. Talk about a
    sledgehammer to crack a walnut...

    Regards

    Ron

    Ron McNulty, Jul 28, 2011
  6. Gib Bogle

    Me Guest

    On 28/07/2011 7:50 p.m., Ron McNulty wrote:

    >>> Minimise the window, and hold down<Alt> and type<space> then M. That
    >>> will select "Move" from the top left-hand windows menu. Fiddle with
    >>> the arrow keys, and you should be able to bring it back on screen.

    >>> This typically happens if you re-arrange a dual monitor setup.

    >> Thanks Ron, that did it! I haven't done anything with a dual monitor,
    >> or changed the monitor or the resolution, this just seemed to happen
    >> spontaneously. Just another Windows mystery.

    > Hi Gib
    >
    > Great result. I must admit that the first time it happened to me (MS
    > Word disappeared) I did a registry edit to get it back. Talk about a
    > sledgehammer to crack a walnut...

    I was wondering /where/ in registry this data is stored. I think I knew
    this once, but seem to have forgotten.
    It is a bit daft for windows not to have a function built in, so that if
    position (top/left) of window is > screen height or width, then it
    doesn't default back to screen centre or whatever - ie somewhere you can
    see it.
    Dammit - I've been really stuffed at times, using software (mainly photo
    editing) in dual monitor mode, with toolbars etc on one screen, edit
    window on another screen. Revert back to single monitor, re-open the
    program, and, well, nothing seems to happen, as the main window's
    completely off screen.
    Actually, I'll add to that complaint. When switching between single and
    dual monitor modes, there seems to be some randomness to what happens.
    Sometimes the active display works fine, sometimes despite the second
    display being disconnected, windows thinks it's still there, first clue
    being that there's no mouse cursor as it's off screen. Usually it seems
    to automatically pick up second monitor native resolution (from EDID I
    s'pose) but sometimes it doesn't, and I've got to muck around to set it
    back up.
    This is with Win7/64. I'll admit that it's about a million times better
    than previous windows versions in handling this sort of thing, but
    perfect it ain't.

    Me, Jul 28, 2011