    not going to be able to get there but I'm hoping they will have the
    facilities for me to catch up on work misssed. Any views would be
    appreciated. Thanks.
    bj69, Aug 8, 2004

  2. bj69

    graham Guest

    bj69 wrote:
    > Hi everyone, my local college is offering a night class twice a week for a
    > year for training for the A+ exam, I think it costs about £280 for the
    > course and approx £110 for the exams at the end.
    > Has anyone had been taught this way and is it good value for money?.
    > My only worry is that I currently work long hours and shifts so sometimes Im
    > not going to be able to get there but I'm hoping they will have the
    > facilities for me to catch up on work misssed. Any views would be
    > appreciated. Thanks.

    My college at my area ( Northants) offered the A+ course for around
    £560 for 15 weeks, plus they offered discounted exams for the course,
    for I think around £55 each. I found the course useful, but they did
    concentrate on the theory side of things. They assumed that you already
    had the practical knowledge at the time
    Graham A+
    graham, Aug 8, 2004

  3. On Sun, 8 Aug 2004 08:22:58 +0100, "bj69" <> wrote:

    >Hi everyone, my local college is offering a night class twice a week for a
    >year for training for the A+ exam, I think it costs about £280 for the
    >course and approx £110 for the exams at the end.
    >Has anyone had been taught this way and is it good value for money?.
    >My only worry is that I currently work long hours and shifts so sometimes Im
    >not going to be able to get there but I'm hoping they will have the
    >facilities for me to catch up on work misssed. Any views would be
    >appreciated. Thanks.

    Tough to say without knowing the school/program. Assuming you pass the
    A+ at the end, you end up with a school diploma and the A+ for about
    $800. Compared to the $3000-4000 or so you see sometimes for this,
    that's not bad.

    Tom
    Tom MacIntyre, Aug 8, 2004
  4. all you need is mike myers book and learn it on your own

    Fred Mathering, Aug 8, 2004
  5. "bj69" <> wrote in message
    > Hi everyone, my local college is offering a night class twice a week for a
    > year for training for the A+ exam, I think it costs about £280 for the
    > course and approx £110 for the exams at the end.
    > Has anyone had been taught this way and is it good value for money?.
    > My only worry is that I currently work long hours and shifts so sometimes

    Im
    > not going to be able to get there but I'm hoping they will have the
    > facilities for me to catch up on work misssed. Any views would be
    > appreciated. Thanks.

    Assuming you have any kind of computer knowledge/experience, a year seems
    like overkill for A+ preperation. You might be better off just buying a
    book and getting ahold of a few old computers...that way, you wouldn't have
    to worry about "catching up" because you could set the pace yourself.
    Patrick Michael, Aug 9, 2004
  6. bj69

    Brian M. Guest

    Agreed.

    I used Mike Myers book, studied hardware for 2 weeks and passed, and then
    studied OS for 2 weeks and passed. The book isn't conducive to that method
    of study but it worked for me. I'm now A+ certified and Net+ certified
    (also thanks to Mike Myers), but since I haven't even had a nibble on a job
    offer I would find it difficult to recommend anyone pay $4000 for the cert.

    Brian M., Aug 9, 2004
  7. bj69

    Joe Mamma Guest

    My local state college offers a 5 week course (8 hrs. on Saturdays) on each
    part, OS and Hardware. The charge is $750 for each!! I took the OS portion
    and frankly was disappointed. It didn't cover many of the subjects that I've
    been seeing on the practice exams. So, I bought Mike Meyer's book and
    skipped the Hardware course. I think the value of taking one of those
    courses depends on who is teaching it. In my case it wasn't a total waste,
    but pretty close.

    Joe Mamma, Aug 9, 2004