    version and the Corsair ram would be swapped for the DDR2 equivlent.

    Does it seem wise enough to wait for a few weeks and go for the Am2? To me
    it makes no real sense to buy a 939 socket cpu / m.b at the moment.

    Craig Sutton, May 3, 2006

  2. Craig Sutton

    Jedmeister Guest

    Re: A tough decision?

    You should wait for the next-gen chips to come out from intel in the
    3rd quarter.

    Jedmeister, May 3, 2006

  3. Craig Sutton

    aum Guest

    Re: A tough decision?

    On Wed, 03 May 2006 14:33:29 -0700, Jedmeister wrote:

    > You should wait for the next-gen chips to come out from intel in the
    > 3rd quarter.

    You're going to be a sucker no matter what or when you buy. Mobos are
    already way obsolete by the time they hit the shelves, and have a product
    life cycle less than 6 months. CPUs are not much better.

    No matter what you buy, it won't be long before you're cringing about the
    purchase because something better/cheaper/faster has come out.

    I tend to put up with my gear as long as I can, then just grit my teeth
    and fork out.

    In fact, I've still got the same computer I had in 1999. Only it's had 5
    new mobos, 6 new CPUs, 6 new disk drives, 4 new cases/PSUs, 4 new monitors...

    --

    Cheers
    aum

    aum, May 3, 2006
  4. Craig Sutton

    ChrisB Guest

    Craig Sutton wrote:
    > As many of you know I've been planning a new pc.While I decided on the final
    > specs, and posted away the cheque a few delays cropped up with the
    > backordering of parts.
    >
    > This leaves me in the situation of possibly putting some components on hold
    > for another 3 or 4 weeks and swapping the Motherboard/ram and CPU for
    > socket Am2 gear.
    >
    > I had orderd the Asus 8n32-sli premium. The new Equivlent Asus board is the
    > M2N32-SLI Deluxe. The Cpu X2 4200 would be swapped for the Am2 socket
    > version and the Corsair ram would be swapped for the DDR2 equivlent.
    >
    > Does it seem wise enough to wait for a few weeks and go for the Am2? To me
    > it makes no real sense to buy a 939 socket cpu / m.b at the moment.

    I'm in the same situation - and am delaying my purchase for the same,
    even though it pains me to live a little longer with my current PC (even
    though it's a secondary one). It's the Pacifica feature that has me
    waiting - though even for a socket 939 I would probably still wait,
    since the release of AM2 will drive down the price of 939.
    As for waiting for Conroe I wouldn't bother. You have to bite the bullet
    at some stage.

    ChrisB, May 4, 2006
  5. Craig Sutton

    Deck Guest

    Re: A tough decision?

    > In fact, I've still got the same computer I had in 1999. Only it's had 5
    > new mobos, 6 new CPUs, 6 new disk drives, 4 new cases/PSUs, 4 new
    > monitors...
    >
    > --
    >
    > Cheers
    > aum

    huh?! can you still call that the same computer when you've replaced all the
    major componentry? : )

    Deck, May 4, 2006
  6. Craig Sutton

    Petrushka Guest

    Re: A tough decision?

    On 04/05/06 12:39, Deck wrote:
    >> In fact, I've still got the same computer I had in 1999. Only it's had 5
    >> new mobos, 6 new CPUs, 6 new disk drives, 4 new cases/PSUs, 4 new
    >> monitors...
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >> aum

    > huh?! can you still call that the same computer when you've replaced all the
    > major componentry? : )

    This is an interesting metaphysical question which I'm sure has been
    discussed many times before, but I've no idea what the outcome of former
    discussions might have been. When is a computer no longer the "same"
    computer. Personally, I think ... naaaah, actually I don't really care.

    Petrushka, May 4, 2006
  7. Craig Sutton

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Re: A tough decision?

    Deck wrote:
    >> In fact, I've still got the same computer I had in 1999. Only it's
    >> had 5 new mobos, 6 new CPUs, 6 new disk drives, 4 new cases/PSUs, 4
    >> new monitors...
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >> aum
    >>

    > huh?! can you still call that the same computer when you've replaced
    > all the major componentry? : )

    Hehee. That sounds like my first PC. After a few years the only original
    thing was the floppy drive. The case and the Soundblaster did hang in there
    for a while but, being ISA, finally had to go. The case had insufficient
    cooling for faster/hotter CPUs.

    In fact you could say I still have the same PC *I* had in 1995, although
    nothing I have now is in common with the first one. However, some of the
    components always made it over to the new build, making an unbroken line
    from this one right back to the first one. At no stage was I rich enough to
    say "Fcuk it" and sell the old and buy completely new, it was a constant
    upgrade thing.

    I do however still have the FDD and Soundblaster 16 in the drawer.
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, May 4, 2006
  8. Craig Sutton

    Shane Guest

    Re: A tough decision?

    Petrushka wrote:

    > On 04/05/06 12:39, Deck wrote:
    >>> In fact, I've still got the same computer I had in 1999. Only it's had 5
    >>> new mobos, 6 new CPUs, 6 new disk drives, 4 new cases/PSUs, 4 new
    >>> monitors...
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>>
    >>> Cheers
    >>> aum

    >> huh?! can you still call that the same computer when you've replaced all
    >> the major componentry? : )

    > This is an interesting metaphysical question which I'm sure has been
    > discussed many times before, but I've no idea what the outcome of former
    > discussions might have been. When is a computer no longer the "same"
    > computer. Personally, I think ... naaaah, actually I don't really care.

    Original axe, heads been swapped 3 times, and the handle twice

    --
    Rule 6: There is no rule 6

    Shane, May 4, 2006
  9. Craig Sutton

    Jedmeister Guest

    Re: A tough decision?

    Well, you could class CPU development into major and minor updates.

    The last major update was the pentium 4 in 2001. The next major
    update is Conroe, due in just a few months.

    Given it has been 5 years since the last major architectural update,
    I'd be inclined to wait. In fact, I am waiting now, I plan to upgrade
    when conroe is released. (assuming it will be better than athlon).

    Jedmeister, May 4, 2006
  10. Craig Sutton

    Craig Sutton Guest

    Re: A tough decision?

    "Jedmeister" <> wrote in message
    > You should wait for the next-gen chips to come out from intel in the
    > 3rd quarter.

    No that's just far to long there will always be something better coming
    out..

    Craig Sutton, May 4, 2006
  11. > As many of you know I've been planning a new pc.While I decided on the
    > final
    > specs, and posted away the cheque a few delays cropped up with the
    > backordering of parts.
    >
    > This leaves me in the situation of possibly putting some components on
    > hold
    > for another 3 or 4 weeks and swapping the Motherboard/ram and CPU for
    > socket Am2 gear.
    >
    > I had orderd the Asus 8n32-sli premium. The new Equivlent Asus board is
    > the
    > M2N32-SLI Deluxe. The Cpu X2 4200 would be swapped for the Am2 socket
    > version and the Corsair ram would be swapped for the DDR2 equivlent.
    >
    > Does it seem wise enough to wait for a few weeks and go for the Am2? To me
    > it makes no real sense to buy a 939 socket cpu / m.b at the moment.

    If you plan on upgrading the CPU in the future, then it would be better to
    wait.

    While the AM2 gear will work with a nforce4 chipset, the nforce 500 series
    will have 6 SATA ports. The 590 has 48 lanes for PCI-E, some motherboards
    will have 3 PCI-E 16 slots (with one running at 8 speed)

    Steve

    Stephen Williams, May 4, 2006
  12. Craig Sutton

    Murray Symon Guest

    Re: A tough decision?

    On Thu, 04 May 2006 13:11:11 +1200, Shane wrote:

    > Petrushka wrote:

    >>> huh?! can you still call that the same computer when you've replaced all
    >>> the major componentry? : )

    >> This is an interesting metaphysical question which I'm sure has been
    >> discussed many times before, but I've no idea what the outcome of former
    >> discussions might have been. When is a computer no longer the "same"
    >> computer. Personally, I think ... naaaah, actually I don't really care.

    > Original axe, heads been swapped 3 times, and the handle twice

    Look up "Ship of Theseus" in Greek philosophy.

    The ship was preserved for a long time by replacing each part with
    an identical replacement. Is it still the same ship?

    Further, what if the workmen build up a duplicate ship using the
    actual discarded parts from the original ship so that it becomes
    an exact duplicate built of the original parts.
    Which is the true ship of Theseus?

    This is the same conundrum one must deal with when considering the
    possibility of a science fiction "matter transporter" which is
    required to construct a carbon copy of the object being "beamed up".

    Murray Symon, May 4, 2006
  13. Craig Sutton

    Jedmeister Guest

    Re: A tough decision?

    Ah, but , this is a major architectural update that only happens once
    every 5 years or so.

    I say it is worth waiting this time. But, normally I would agree it
    is better not to wait.

    Jedmeister, May 4, 2006
  14. Re: A tough decision?

    T'was the Thu, 4 May 2006 13:06:00 +1200 when I remembered "~misfit~"
    <> saying something like this:

    >In fact you could say I still have the same PC *I* had in 1995, although
    >nothing I have now is in common with the first one. However, some of the
    >components always made it over to the new build, making an unbroken line
    >from this one right back to the first one. At no stage was I rich enough to
    >say "Fcuk it" and sell the old and buy completely new, it was a constant
    >upgrade thing.

    Don't the cells in your body die yet you still remain you (roughly)?
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.

    Waylon Kenning, May 4, 2006
  15. Craig Sutton

    > Ah, but , this is a major architectural update that only happens once
    > every 5 years or so.
    >
    > I say it is worth waiting this time. But, normally I would agree it
    > is better not to wait.

    Unfortunately the latest update is my machine was furthur along than
    expected and its pretty much built only awaiting the graphics card. So for
    them to to gut out the motherboard/cpu/ram at this stage would lose them
    quite a bit of $. As they can't resell the bits as "NEW" to another customer

    So look as though I will be going socket 939 after all. I've thought about
    it a bit more at least I'm gonna be getting a decent stable system. Not some
    first revision AM2 socket motherboard with early revision AM2 cpu.

    I can always ditch the m.b/ram/cpu down the track..did someone say Canroe?

    Craig Sutton, May 4, 2006
  16. Craig Sutton

    Brian Dooley Guest

    Re: A tough decision?

    On Thu, 4 May 2006 12:39:42 +1200, "Deck" <> wrote:

    >> In fact, I've still got the same computer I had in 1999. Only it's had 5
    >> new mobos, 6 new CPUs, 6 new disk drives, 4 new cases/PSUs, 4 new
    >> monitors...
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >> aum
    >>

    >huh?! can you still call that the same computer when you've replaced all the
    >major componentry? : )

    It's the same with axes.
    --

    Brian Dooley

    Wellington New Zealand

    Brian Dooley, May 5, 2006
  17. Craig Sutton

    Craig Sutton Guest

    Re: A tough decision?

    "Brian Dooley" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 4 May 2006 12:39:42 +1200, "Deck" <> wrote:
    >

    > >> In fact, I've still got the same computer I had in 1999. Only it's had

    5
    > >> new mobos, 6 new CPUs, 6 new disk drives, 4 new cases/PSUs, 4 new
    > >> monitors...
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >>
    > >> Cheers
    > >> aum
    > >>

    > >huh?! can you still call that the same computer when you've replaced all

    the
    > >major componentry? : )
    > >

    > It's the same with axes.
    > --

    and my great grandfathers cricket bat!

    Craig Sutton, May 5, 2006
  18. Craig Sutton

    Brian Dooley Guest

    Re: A tough decision?

    On Fri, 5 May 2006 17:57:20 +1200, "Craig Sutton"
    <> wrote:

    >"Brian Dooley" <> wrote in message

    >5

    >> >huh?! can you still call that the same computer when you've replaced all

    >the
    >> >major componentry? : )
    >> >

    >> It's the same with axes.
    >> --
    >>

    >and my great grandfathers cricket bat!

    They don't make 'em like they used to.
    --

    Brian Dooley

    Wellington New Zealand

    Brian Dooley, May 6, 2006
  19. Craig Sutton

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Re: A tough decision?

    Waylon Kenning wrote:
    > T'was the Thu, 4 May 2006 13:06:00 +1200 when I remembered "~misfit~"
    > <> saying something like this:
    >
    >> In fact you could say I still have the same PC *I* had in 1995,
    >> although nothing I have now is in common with the first one.
    >> However, some of the components always made it over to the new
    >> build, making an unbroken line from this one right back to the first
    >> one. At no stage was I rich enough to say "Fcuk it" and sell the old
    >> and buy completely new, it was a constant upgrade thing.

    > Don't the cells in your body die yet you still remain you (roughly)?

    Apparently. Although I'm hardly the same person I was when I was 5 years
    old. I've had a few upgrades. <g>.
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, May 6, 2006
  20. Craig Sutton

    Rev. 9 11 Guest

    Re: A tough decision?

    On , , Thu, 04 May 2006 13:11:11 +1200, Re: A tough decision?,
    Shane <-a-geek.net> wrote:

    >Petrushka wrote:

    >>> huh?! can you still call that the same computer when you've replaced all
    >>> the major componentry? : )

    >> This is an interesting metaphysical question which I'm sure has been
    >> discussed many times before, but I've no idea what the outcome of former
    >> discussions might have been. When is a computer no longer the "same"
    >> computer. Personally, I think ... naaaah, actually I don't really care.

    >Original axe, heads been swapped 3 times, and the handle twice

    This here kitchen knife I've had ever since it were a slasher.

    ---

    Rev. 9 11, May 7, 2006