    Is the time on the case wrong or would their be a difference in the running time
    between PAL and NTSC?
    Thanks in advance
    Film Buff, Jan 3, 2005

  2. Film Buff

    P Pron Guest

    Film Buff wrote:
    > I received a PAL DVD.
    > The time on the case the running time is 107 mins.
    > When I put it in the player (Multi-Region) and check the time
    > the total time of the movie reads 99 mins.
    > Is the time on the case wrong or would their be a difference in the
    > running time between PAL and NTSC?
    > Thanks in advance

    Sounds like a mistake on the packaging. PAL movies run 4% _fast_, (25 frames
    per second instead of 24).

    So a movie whose 24 fps running time is 107 minutes would take just under
    103 mins on PAL video - 99 mins is much too fast.

    You might like to check to movie on www.bbfc.co.uk (British Board of Film
    'Classification' [ie censorship....]) to see whether there have been any
    cuts imposed on the film.

    paul
    P Pron, Jan 3, 2005

  3. Film Buff

    jayembee Guest

    Film Buff <> wrote:

    > I received a PAL DVD. The time on the case the running time is 107 mins.
    > When I put it in the player (Multi-Region) and check the time the total time
    > of the movie reads 99 mins. Is the time on the case wrong or would their be
    > a difference in the running time between PAL and NTSC?

    There definitely is a difference between PAL and NTSC. NTSC is 30 fps,
    while PAL is 25 fps. Because of the way film is transferred to video,
    PAL speeds up by 4%.

    Taking just PAL speed-up into account, a 107m should run about 103m in
    PAL. So, either the movie is cut, or the 107m running time on the
    packaging is incorrect. Look up the movie on the IMDb and see what
    the running time should be.

    -- jayembee
    jayembee, Jan 4, 2005
  4. Film Buff

    Jon Purkey Guest

    On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 17:26:07 -0600, Film Buff <>
    wrote:

    >I received a PAL DVD.
    >The time on the case the running time is 107 mins.
    >When I put it in the player (Multi-Region) and check the time
    >the total time of the movie reads 99 mins.
    >Is the time on the case wrong or would their be a difference in the running time
    >between PAL and NTSC?

    Any extras? Sometimes they add up everything to get the total time.

    -
    -Jon Purkey - <)
    Jon Purkey, Jan 4, 2005