    strength, and mark my words, up until now they have been batting with kids
    gloves on
    http://money.cnn.com/2006/03/21/news/companies/microsoft.reut/index.htm

    Shane, Mar 22, 2006

  2. Shane

    Steve Guest

    On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 15:38:18 +1200, Shane wrote:

    > Ive been saying for a while now that I *doubt* Microsoft will release
    > Longhorn (now known as Vista) before the Department of Justice (USA)
    > restrictions come off (Antitrust)
    > If this is true, Linux (and to a lesser extent Apple) have blown a major
    > chance to put their product to the fore and Microsoft have once again
    > successfully used any means possible to defend their share of the market
    > Once the restrictions come off of course... Microsoft will be back to full
    > strength, and mark my words, up until now they have been batting with kids
    > gloves on
    > http://money.cnn.com/2006/03/21/news/companies/microsoft.reut/index.htm

    1. Vista has been delayed an extra couple of months for us punters, but
    not for the corporates - why? I don't think they can work out what all
    these different versions are supposed to do. Will the emerging market
    version run on the $150 pc, I wonder. Oh, I forgot, that should cost $600
    so it can run it.
    2. Until the DoJ actually enforce anything, why should M$ give a flying
    wotsit what they do?
    3. Linux desktop doesn't ( and I hope never will to a certain extent )
    hand hold the user like Windows. Once you've got linux auto-opening files,
    then the potential for infection will increase manyfold. This makes
    'putting the product to the fore' a bit like comparing oranges and apples
    (hur hur).

    So is it really a missed opportunity? We need more fuel like whichever
    antivirus company it was screwing up and deleting valid files - then more
    users will (ok may) realise the dangerous situation they're in and do
    something about it.

    Well, that's my $0.02,

    Steve

    Steve, Mar 22, 2006

  3. Shane

    Shane Guest

    Steve wrote:

    > On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 15:38:18 +1200, Shane wrote:
    >
    >> Ive been saying for a while now that I *doubt* Microsoft will release
    >> Longhorn (now known as Vista) before the Department of Justice (USA)
    >> restrictions come off (Antitrust)
    >> If this is true, Linux (and to a lesser extent Apple) have blown a major
    >> chance to put their product to the fore and Microsoft have once again
    >> successfully used any means possible to defend their share of the market
    >> Once the restrictions come off of course... Microsoft will be back to
    >> full strength, and mark my words, up until now they have been batting
    >> with kids gloves on
    >> http://money.cnn.com/2006/03/21/news/companies/microsoft.reut/index.htm

    > 1. Vista has been delayed an extra couple of months for us punters, but
    > not for the corporates - why? I don't think they can work out what all
    > these different versions are supposed to do. Will the emerging market
    > version run on the $150 pc, I wonder. Oh, I forgot, that should cost $600
    > so it can run it.
    > 2. Until the DoJ actually enforce anything, why should M$ give a flying
    > wotsit what they do?
    > 3. Linux desktop doesn't ( and I hope never will to a certain extent )
    > hand hold the user like Windows. Once you've got linux auto-opening files,
    > then the potential for infection will increase manyfold. This makes
    > 'putting the product to the fore' a bit like comparing oranges and apples
    > (hur hur).
    >
    > So is it really a missed opportunity? We need more fuel like whichever
    > antivirus company it was screwing up and deleting valid files - then more
    > users will (ok may) realise the dangerous situation they're in and do
    > something about it.
    >
    > Well, that's my $0.02,
    >
    > Steve

    Actually another thought has been in the back of my head, how much (if any)
    of a difference is the EU 'problem' causing Microsoft, 2 million euros a
    day (if it ever gets paid) is a lot of money

    Shane, Mar 22, 2006
  4. Steve wrote:
    > On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 15:38:18 +1200, Shane wrote:
    >
    > > Ive been saying for a while now that I *doubt* Microsoft will release
    > > Longhorn (now known as Vista) before the Department of Justice (USA)
    > > restrictions come off (Antitrust)
    > > If this is true, Linux (and to a lesser extent Apple) have blown a major
    > > chance to put their product to the fore and Microsoft have once again
    > > successfully used any means possible to defend their share of the market
    > > Once the restrictions come off of course... Microsoft will be back to full
    > > strength, and mark my words, up until now they have been batting with kids
    > > gloves on
    > > http://money.cnn.com/2006/03/21/news/companies/microsoft.reut/index.htm

    > 1. Vista has been delayed an extra couple of months for us punters, but
    > not for the corporates - why? I don't think they can work out what all
    > these different versions are supposed to do. Will the emerging market
    > version run on the $150 pc, I wonder. Oh, I forgot, that should cost $600
    > so it can run it.

    Corporate customers, who can upgrade or migrate existing PCs, use a
    different distribution mechanism from end users who purchase
    preinstalled PCs. Businesses with volume license agreements with
    Microsoft can get the final RTM version within a couple of weeks of the
    product releasing to manufacturing (RTM). For end-users/consumers, the
    final version of Windows Vista must first be pre-loaded onto PCs or
    made available as a fully-packaged product by partners - including
    OEMs, retailers or system builders - and also need to be physically
    shipped out to retail outlets in some cases before it can be sold.

    These additional steps in the distribution process for consumers means
    that more time is needed to allow partners to prepare for providing
    Windows Vista to customers.

    Cheers
    Nathan

    Nathan Mercer, Mar 22, 2006