    but I seem to recall hearing it mentioned somewere as a common real-estate
    add. Apartment building with a sign that says "If you lived here, you'd be
    home by now")

    The Man With No Name, Oct 26, 2005

  2. The Man With No Name

    Koenig Guest

    "The Man With No Name" <> wrote in message
    > Ever notice that, although the MPAA seems to think it's somehow useful to
    > include the forced anti-piracy adds* at the beginning of DVDs, they don't
    > consider the adds useful enough to justify paying to air them as
    > television-commercials? (Were, at least, they would be specifically seen
    > only by people who have paid for the DVD)
    > Just a further indication of the contempt the studios have for their
    > customers. They don't even have any confidence in the usefulness of these
    > adds, but might as well include them anyway; who's cares about the
    > customer's convenience?

    They air them where there is going to be the maximum exposure to
    movie-watching patrons. You see these same ads at the cinema. I don't
    think I have seen one of these ads on a TV series DVD.

    The whole point of the commercial is the anti-movie piracy message.

    Koenig, Oct 27, 2005

  3. The Man With No Name

    higgy Guest

    "The Man With No Name" wrote:

    > Ever notice that, although the MPAA seems to think it's somehow
    > useful to include the forced anti-piracy adds* at the beginning of
    > DVDs, they don't consider the adds useful enough to justify paying to
    > air them as
    > television-commercials? (Were, at least, they would be specifically
    > seen only by people who have paid for the DVD)
    > Just a further indication of the contempt the studios have for their
    > customers. They don't even have any confidence in the usefulness of
    > these adds, but might as well include them anyway; who's cares about
    > the customer's convenience?
    >
    > *Or, as I like to call them, the "If you were a pirate you'd already
    > be enjoying the movie" commercials. (Not sure if that phrase is
    > outdated, etc. but I seem to recall hearing it mentioned somewere as a
    > common real-estate add. Apartment building with a sign that says "If
    > you lived here, you'd be home by now")

    Is the MPAA really responsible? So far I've only seen these "ads" forced
    on UK discs. They're skippable on every R1 disc I've seen them on.

    I must say that I find it a bizarre tactic - I actually regret paying
    the fuckers everytime I encounter shit like that.

    --
    higgy.

    higgy, Oct 27, 2005
  4. The Man With No Name

    Jordan Guest

    The Man With No Name wrote:
    > Ever notice that, although the MPAA seems to think it's somehow useful to
    > include the forced anti-piracy adds* at the beginning of DVDs, they don't
    > consider the adds useful enough to justify paying to air them as
    > television-commercials?

    I guess they figure people are watching DVDs instead of television. I
    have to admit though, the first time I saw one I was tempted to pirate
    it and put it online. But they're so dense they wouldn't get the joke.

    - Jordan

    Jordan, Oct 27, 2005
  5. On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 23:16:39 +0000, higgy proclaimed:

    > "The Man With No Name" wrote:
    >
    >> Ever notice that, although the MPAA seems to think it's somehow useful
    >> to include the forced anti-piracy adds* at the beginning of DVDs, they
    >> don't consider the adds useful enough to justify paying to air them as
    >> television-commercials? (Were, at least, they would be specifically seen
    >> only by people who have paid for the DVD)
    >> Just a further indication of the contempt the studios have for their
    >> customers. They don't even have any confidence in the usefulness of
    >> these adds, but might as well include them anyway; who's cares about the
    >> customer's convenience?
    >>
    >> *Or, as I like to call them, the "If you were a pirate you'd already
    >> be enjoying the movie" commercials. (Not sure if that phrase is
    >> outdated, etc. but I seem to recall hearing it mentioned somewere as a
    >> common real-estate add. Apartment building with a sign that says "If you
    >> lived here, you'd be home by now")

    > Is the MPAA really responsible? So far I've only seen these "ads" forced
    > on UK discs. They're skippable on every R1 disc I've seen them on.
    >
    > I must say that I find it a bizarre tactic - I actually regret paying the
    > fuckers everytime I encounter shit like that.

    That's exactly how I feel... I resent having paid for a DVD when they
    shove that shit down your throat. And yet, had I downloaded it for free...
    I wouldnt encounter these ads. What kind of message do they think they're
    /really/ sending?

    --
    /J/
    Stuffing around with the web cam again:

    =?iso-8859-1?b?SmXfdXM=?=, Oct 27, 2005
  6. Jeßus <> writes:

    > That's exactly how I feel... I resent having paid for a DVD when they
    > shove that shit down your throat. And yet, had I downloaded it for free...
    > I wouldnt encounter these ads. What kind of message do they think they're
    > /really/ sending?

    It's quite simple. They want you to get so upset that you'll go
    download a movie off the net. Then they will sue you and make more
    money from that than if you'd bought the DVD.

    :)

    Øystein
    --
    Roy Batty: I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships
    on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the

    =?iso-8859-1?q?=D8ystein_Tvedten?=, Oct 27, 2005
  7. The Man With No Name

    guv Guest

    On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 12:14:36 +1000, Jeßus <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 23:16:39 +0000, higgy proclaimed:
    >
    >> "The Man With No Name" wrote:
    >>
    >>> Ever notice that, although the MPAA seems to think it's somehow useful
    >>> to include the forced anti-piracy adds* at the beginning of DVDs, they
    >>> don't consider the adds useful enough to justify paying to air them as
    >>> television-commercials? (Were, at least, they would be specifically seen
    >>> only by people who have paid for the DVD)
    >>> Just a further indication of the contempt the studios have for their
    >>> customers. They don't even have any confidence in the usefulness of
    >>> these adds, but might as well include them anyway; who's cares about the
    >>> customer's convenience?
    >>>
    >>> *Or, as I like to call them, the "If you were a pirate you'd already
    >>> be enjoying the movie" commercials. (Not sure if that phrase is
    >>> outdated, etc. but I seem to recall hearing it mentioned somewere as a
    >>> common real-estate add. Apartment building with a sign that says "If you
    >>> lived here, you'd be home by now")

    >> Is the MPAA really responsible? So far I've only seen these "ads" forced
    >> on UK discs. They're skippable on every R1 disc I've seen them on.
    >>
    >> I must say that I find it a bizarre tactic - I actually regret paying the
    >> fuckers everytime I encounter shit like that.

    >That's exactly how I feel... I resent having paid for a DVD when they
    >shove that shit down your throat. And yet, had I downloaded it for free...
    >I wouldnt encounter these ads. What kind of message do they think they're
    >/really/ sending?

    Perhaps they are hoping the pirate copy that people watch, will
    include this and not get ripped?

    --
    www.senaction.com

    guv, Oct 27, 2005
  8. The Man With No Name

    V01TeK Guest

    > They air them where there is going to be the maximum exposure to
    > movie-watching patrons. You see these same ads at the cinema. I don't
    > think I have seen one of these ads on a TV series DVD.

    You're wrong. Simpsons, season 5. Gets fast-forwarded every time.
    --
    Chris
    "Your signature quote is not as clever as you think it is."

    V01TeK, Oct 28, 2005
  9. guv wrote:

    > Perhaps they are hoping the pirate copy that people watch, will
    > include this and not get ripped?

    and the chance of that is?

    (answer: not high enough to offset the number of people pissed off by it).

    Beautiful Femur, Oct 30, 2005
  10. The Man With No Name

    Guest

    You know the funny part in this whole thing is that the prices of dvd
    titles have fallen so much so fast (and I am talking about new and used
    quality titles and not El Cheapo Crapo titles) and that good quality
    dvd recorders have dropped so much it is now literally not worth it
    99.8% of the time to steal it!

    , Oct 30, 2005

  12. The Man With No Name

    Bob Guest

    On 29 Oct 2005 20:46:02 -0700, wrote:

    >You know the funny part in this whole thing is that the prices of dvd
    >titles have fallen so much so fast (and I am talking about new and used
    >quality titles and not El Cheapo Crapo titles) and that good quality
    >dvd recorders have dropped so much it is now literally not worth it
    >99.8% of the time to steal it!

    No one is stealing anything.

    --

    If you build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day. If you
    set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life.

    Bob, Oct 30, 2005
  13. The Man With No Name

    Richard C. Guest

    "Bob" <> wrote in message
    > On 29 Oct 2005 20:46:02 -0700, wrote:
    >
    >>You know the funny part in this whole thing is that the prices of dvd
    >>titles have fallen so much so fast (and I am talking about new and used
    >>quality titles and not El Cheapo Crapo titles) and that good quality
    >>dvd recorders have dropped so much it is now literally not worth it
    >>99.8% of the time to steal it!

    > No one is stealing anything.

    =============================
    Bizarre statement.
    Dangerous thinking.

    Richard C., Nov 2, 2005
  14. The Man With No Name

    SBFan2000 Guest

    "Richard C." <> wrote in message

    > "Bob" <> wrote in message
    > > On 29 Oct 2005 20:46:02 -0700, wrote:
    > >
    > >>You know the funny part in this whole thing is that the prices of dvd
    > >>titles have fallen so much so fast (and I am talking about new and used
    > >>quality titles and not El Cheapo Crapo titles) and that good quality
    > >>dvd recorders have dropped so much it is now literally not worth it
    > >>99.8% of the time to steal it!

    > > No one is stealing anything.
    > >

    > =============================
    > Bizarre statement.
    > Dangerous thinking.

    Why is it bizarre and dangerous. Its very true. Who needs to pirate a
    brand new movie that sells for $14.95 or last years movies that sell for
    9.95-12.95. It is stupid to buy a pirated copy when a legit is so cheap.

    SBFan2000, Nov 2, 2005
  15. The Man With No Name

    Sean Black Guest

    In article <>, SBFan2000
    <mocaveboyNOSP#> writes

    >"Richard C." <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Bob" <> wrote in message

    >> > No one is stealing anything.
    >> >

    >> =============================
    >> Bizarre statement.
    >> Dangerous thinking.

    >Why is it bizarre and dangerous. Its very true. Who needs to pirate a
    >brand new movie that sells for $14.95 or last years movies that sell for
    >9.95-12.95. It is stupid to buy a pirated copy when a legit is so cheap.

    It's stupid to *buy* a pirated copy anyway.
    --
    Sean Black

    Sean Black, Nov 3, 2005
  16. The Man With No Name

    Bob Guest

    On Thu, 3 Nov 2005 09:24:47 +0000, Sean Black
    <> wrote:

    >It's stupid to *buy* a pirated copy anyway.

    Not if you live in a third world country where you do not make enough
    to be able to afford a legit copy.

    Look at it this way - if people in the 3rd world get copies, they
    learn out culture, which means they become capitalist consumers which
    means they buy stuff from us that cannot be pirated. That increases
    employment in the US.

    IBM used to give the large engineering universities free mainframes -
    multimillion dollar 360s and all that good stuff. Why?

    one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore
    -- George Bernard Shaw

    Bob, Nov 3, 2005
  17. The Man With No Name

    Richard C. Guest

    "SBFan2000" <mocaveboyNOSP#> wrote in message

    > "Richard C." <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Bob" <> wrote in message

    >> > No one is stealing anything.
    >> >

    >> =============================
    >> Bizarre statement.
    >> Dangerous thinking.

    > Why is it bizarre and dangerous. Its very true. Who needs to pirate a
    > brand new movie that sells for $14.95 or last years movies that sell for
    > 9.95-12.95. It is stupid to buy a pirated copy when a legit is so cheap.

    That is correct.
    What is wrong is your original statement.
    When someone pirates, they are stealing.
    You seemed to say they were not.

    Richard C., Nov 3, 2005
  18. The Man With No Name

    Bob Guest

    On Thu, 3 Nov 2005 07:06:46 -0800, "Richard C."
    <> wrote:

    >When someone pirates, they are stealing.

    They are not stealing. They are circumventing copyright laws.

    Bob, Nov 3, 2005
  19. The Man With No Name

    Guest

    SBFan2000 wrote:
    > "Richard C." <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Bob" <> wrote in message

    > > > No one is stealing anything.
    > > >

    > > =============================
    > > Bizarre statement.
    > > Dangerous thinking.

    > Why is it bizarre and dangerous. Its very true. Who needs to pirate a
    > brand new movie that sells for $14.95 or last years movies that sell for
    > 9.95-12.95. It is stupid to buy a pirated copy when a legit is so cheap.

    Cheap and getting cheaper all the time!
    Heck as an example just this week a local Super Market (I do most of my
    food shopping in btw) ran a blow out sale (5 for $20) on a bunch of
    older dvd titles I wanted to get (but not at the OAP) like Matrix-1
    (which I had but only in P&S so I snapped up a widescreen copy)
    THX-1138,Twister,Duel,The Hustler,Scream-1 & 2 & 3,Fletch and a movie
    called Dying Young.
    And on top of that I used a little smarts,since as I was going to the
    store this week anyway to buy my weekly groceries so I clipped an $8.00
    off a $50.00 (or more) purchase store coupon that was in the store
    flyer this week, so I figure that I got my ten dvds for a grand total
    of $32.00!

    , Nov 3, 2005
  20. The Man With No Name

    Guest

    wrote:
    > You know the funny part in this whole thing is that the prices of dvd
    > titles have fallen so much so fast (and I am talking about new and used
    > quality titles and not El Cheapo Crapo titles) and that good quality
    > dvd recorders have dropped so much it is now literally not worth it
    > 99.8% of the time to steal it!

    Still, why pay $10-$15 when you can just leave the computer on
    overnight with Bittorrent and wake up with a brand new movie in your
    hard disk.

    , Nov 3, 2005