A testing center to avoid

Discussion in 'Microsoft Certification' started by Montreal MCT, Apr 3, 2007.

  1. Montreal MCT

    Montreal MCT Guest

    As I had to take two beta exams this week or miss out on the opportunity, I
    called Pearson Vue to book them last week. In Montreal and Ottawa I have my
    favorite testing centres, but this week I am in Hallandale, Florida. The
    agent at PV suggested Fast Computer Training in Miami. As I had other
    obligations I allotted myself 90 minutes per exam with a fifteen minute
    break so that I could get out of there by 12:15. My first exam was booked
    for 9:00AM this morning.

    When I arrived at the location ten minutes early (per guidelines) the door
    was locked... as it was ten minutes later and ten minutes hence. In fact it
    was not until 9:40 when someone came to open the door, and when I knocked
    she was unaware that I was supposed to take a test, and was embarrassed that
    the place was a bit dirty. In fact I have been to washrooms at outdoor
    football stadia during rainy season where the floors were cleaner. It was
    in a word disgusting.

    The testing room must have been someone's office... the back wall had city,
    state, and tax department permits posted in no particular order. However
    the upside was that the chair was comfortable and the computer relatively
    modern.

    Throughout the exams I heard the administrator's cell phone tune constantly,
    and it was nearly impossible to concentrate.

    In a sentence: AVOID THIS TESTING CENTRE.

    Ok, there endeth my rant.

    --
    Montreal MCT
    Visit my blog at

    Montreal MCT, Apr 3, 2007

  2. Not close to your experience, but I took an exam in a closest -- or room
    not much bigger...

    --

    Michael D. Alligood
    MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,

    The Classroom Blog

    CertGuard Member
    The Stronghold for Excellence in I.T. Certification
    www.CertGuard.com

    Michael D. Alligood, Apr 3, 2007

  3. Montreal MCT

    Montreal MCT Guest

    Closets are pretty common, and nothing to really complain about... There is
    a testing centre in Montreal called Vienna Academy of whatever and I passed
    my 70-292 Upgrade exam there... they had closets (I am pretty sure I have an
    article about it
    (http://dnn.mitpro.ca/mitpro/Blogs/tabid/59/EntryID/26/Default.aspx) but at
    least the place was professional... there were people there, and it was
    presentable. This place was the hole in the wall that Monty Pythonites got
    evicted from!

    Montreal MCT, Apr 3, 2007
  4. A closest would have been nice. I took the three Lotus Domino Administrator
    exams in a concession stand.

    It was a small business college; their normal testing room was being
    remodeled, so I had to take the exams in the server room, which was in fact
    the same room where they sold notebooks, pens, t-shits, etc to the student
    body.

    I wasn't directly in front of the concession area, but anyone who walked up
    could see me. During the three exams students repeatable ask me to sell them
    stuff. I had to call back to an adjacent room for the person who was
    supposed to be tending stand. The space was so small; each time this person
    came to the stand, I would have to get up out of my chair, turn it sideways,
    and step aside to let them pass. And of course, I had to repeat the process
    after the sale was complete to let then back through.

    I passed all three exams, but by some of the lowest scores I've ever
    received.

    Harvey Colwell, Apr 3, 2007
  5. Montreal MCT

    Montreal MCT Guest

    Wow now THAT is a horror story! As for mine it may not be as bad as that,
    but I have submitted a complaint to PV and got a message a few minutes ago
    that they were escalating it. I will keep you all informed!

    Montreal MCT, Apr 3, 2007
  6. Montreal MCT

    Linda Marie Guest

    During one of the 2003 upgrade exams I was next to a guy who was reading the
    questions out loud for his exam and swearing - I asked him politly to shut
    up - he finally did. And I did pass by a couple of questions.
    Harvey wins I think. How you could keep all the information in the question
    in mind while bouncing up off the chair and back is amazing. Bet you keep
    cool when the rest of the IT department melts and panics while the big boss
    is screaming that email is not working.
    Good for you Harvey - you should get a gold lapel pin for that.
    Linda

    Linda Marie, Apr 13, 2007