a technical question on USB

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by TomerF, Jan 6, 2004.

  1. TomerF

    TomerF Guest

    Hey,

    I'm not an expert, but I'm looking for some information, so I guess
    this is the place to go...
    :)

    Anyway, I was thinking if anyone here knows if all digital cameras
    talk to the computer in the same way (assuming they all use USB
    connection). What I mean is can I have a kind if general standalone
    driver that will "talk" to any camera trying to talk to it? I know
    there are some camera models that use tiff instead of jpeg, but
    assuming the driver can read all images format known to man, does the
    USB connection mean that eventually all teh cameras say "hello!" and
    "here, have the pictures stored on my disk!" in the same language to
    the computer.

    Thanks allot!!!!
    Bye,
    Tomer Fink

    TomerF, Jan 6, 2004

  2. TomerF

    Guest

    TomerF <> wrote:

    > Anyway, I was thinking if anyone here knows if all digital cameras
    > talk to the computer in the same way (assuming they all use USB
    > connection). What I mean is can I have a kind if general standalone
    > driver that will "talk" to any camera trying to talk to it? I know
    > there are some camera models that use tiff instead of jpeg, but
    > assuming the driver can read all images format known to man, does the
    > USB connection mean that eventually all teh cameras say "hello!" and
    > "here, have the pictures stored on my disk!" in the same language to
    > the computer.

    No more so than printers. The best option is to get a card reader.
    That way, you never have to worry about how your computer and camera
    communicate and you do not have to worry about wasting battery power
    on the camera when downloading images.

    , Jan 6, 2004

  3. (TomerF) writes:

    > Hey,
    >
    > I'm not an expert, but I'm looking for some information, so I guess
    > this is the place to go...
    > :)
    >
    > Anyway, I was thinking if anyone here knows if all digital cameras
    > talk to the computer in the same way (assuming they all use USB
    > connection). What I mean is can I have a kind if general standalone
    > driver that will "talk" to any camera trying to talk to it? I know
    > there are some camera models that use tiff instead of jpeg, but
    > assuming the driver can read all images format known to man, does the
    > USB connection mean that eventually all teh cameras say "hello!" and
    > "here, have the pictures stored on my disk!" in the same language to
    > the computer.

    This is essentially what the pict bridge support (originally from Canon) going
    into the latest cameras and printers is doing. Unfortunately, it doesn't help
    older cameras (unless the camera's firmware is field upgradable, and the
    manufacturer decides to release a new version of the firmware like Canon did).

    Some cameras act as remote USB disk drives, and the OS just uses the normal
    disk driver. Some cameras use PTP as a transfer protocol. Some cameras use
    their own protocol. Some can switch between using different protocols.

    It might be easier to modify Linux to do what you want (assuming you obey the
    GPL and other licenses), since it already has USB mass storage support, and the
    gphoto2 utility knows about various forms of PTP.

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email:

    Michael Meissner, Jan 6, 2004