a tale of Compaq help desk

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by S Roby, Apr 30, 2005.

  1. S Roby

    S Roby Guest

    a tale of Compaq help desk
    Comapq Laptop needed a 'software restore' due to corrupted Win
    Probhable user induced Win faults
    I was asked to fix it. Removed the HD & backed up data
    Rang compaq & bought a set of restore disks for this model.
    Put in restore CD's & began full restore. Got to about 30% when error
    came up cant find a certain file. Put the CD in another PC & ran a CD Disk
    checker on it & found it has CRC faults.
    So I rang Compaq to get a new set of disks which they sent
    Same error with the new disks.

    Rang Compaq, the best idea they could give was to get an identical Laptop
    & run the restore disks on it.

    A help desk that suggests testing restore disks by effectivly completely
    wiping another Laptop, possibly leaving 2 laptops that dont work.("do you have
    a same model laptop at work" No. "Perhaps you can find a freind with the
    identical laptop")

    I ended up Just reloading WinXP of a borrowed Win CD. (Compaq etc dont give
    you a XP CD with new machines)

    S Roby, Apr 30, 2005

  2. S Roby

    Chris Hope Guest

    S Roby wrote:

    > a tale of Compaq help desk
    > Comapq Laptop needed a 'software restore' due to corrupted Win
    > Probhable user induced Win faults
    > I was asked to fix it. Removed the HD & backed up data
    > Rang compaq & bought a set of restore disks for this model.
    > Put in restore CD's & began full restore. Got to about 30% when error
    > came up cant find a certain file. Put the CD in another PC & ran a CD
    > Disk checker on it & found it has CRC faults.
    > So I rang Compaq to get a new set of disks which they sent
    > Same error with the new disks.
    >
    > Rang Compaq, the best idea they could give was to get an identical
    > Laptop & run the restore disks on it.
    >
    > A help desk that suggests testing restore disks by effectivly
    > completely wiping another Laptop, possibly leaving 2 laptops that dont
    > work.("do you have a same model laptop at work" No. "Perhaps you can
    > find a freind with the identical laptop")
    >
    > I ended up Just reloading WinXP of a borrowed Win CD. (Compaq etc dont
    > give you a XP CD with new machines)

    I don't have an official XP CD for my Compaq laptop, but I do have one
    labelled "Operating System CD" which I have used on two occasions to
    install XP onto said laptop.

    My experience of Compaq/HP has been good from the one time I've had a
    issue with the hardware (as opposed to software in your case). My
    laptop started randomly seizing up and they sent a courier to pick it
    up. They took about a week to fix it, replacing the motherboard (I'd
    obviously managed to spill something on it in the past which was
    causing the problem) and couriered it back.

    Chris Hope, Apr 30, 2005