    you why, how, whatever, that I need this. And yes, I have googled,
    but I don't know enough to be able to ask the correct question(s).

    Appreciative thanks in advance.

    Red Merkin, Apr 28, 2006

  2. X-No-Archive: YES
    Red Merkin [] has entered into testimony

    > I have a question which, I hope is not too dumb.I am running Win XP
    > Pro SP!, and I really need to clean it.

    What is the problem? Is the plastic getting yellowish? Are there
    public hairs in your keyboard?

    > Can I take my installation disk and reinstall over what I have,
    > with out losing any files, except system? To go to a long ago
    > restore point is not an option.

    Oh, you mean your system is bogged down with spyware, unnecessary
    applications, or experiencing issues that are degrading the performance,
    right?

    > Appreciate any answers to the question. And no, I'm not going to tell
    > you why, how, whatever, that I need this.

    Then I'm not going to tell you any of several ways you can "clean" your
    system to reclaim the performance that has apparently degraded with time
    and (mis)use.

    > And yes, I have googled,
    > but I don't know enough to be able to ask the correct question(s).

    If your system has been infected with viri, spyware, trojans, etc., the
    appropriate question is: "What must I do to remove viri, spyware,
    trojans, etc.?"

    **** off in advance.

    --

    Skepticult® Member# 581-00504-208
    ChadwickStone at Gmail dot com

    Chadwick Stone©, Apr 28, 2006

  3. Chadwick Stone© wrote:

    > Are there public hairs in your keyboard?

    No, it hasn't been outside the home.

    (PS: viri is not the plural of virus. Viruses is the plural.)

    --
    -bts
    -Warning: I brake for lawn deer

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Apr 28, 2006
  4. X-No-Archive: YES
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty [] has entered into
    testimony
    vgf4g.3997$

    > Chadwick Stone© wrote:
    >
    >> Are there public hairs in your keyboard?

    > No, it hasn't been outside the home.
    >

    > (PS: viri is not the plural of virus. Viruses is the plural.)

    Hey, thare ain't a dam thing wrong with my spel cheker!

    Chadwick Stone©, Apr 28, 2006
  5. Red Merkin

    Kevin Guest

    "Red Merkin" <> wrote in message
    >I have a question which, I hope is not too dumb.I am running Win XP
    > Pro SP!, and I really need to clean it. Can I take my installation
    > disk and reinstall over what I have, with out losing any files, except
    > system? To go to a long ago restore point is not an option.
    >
    > Appreciate any answers to the question. And no, I'm not going to tell
    > you why, how, whatever, that I need this. And yes, I have googled,
    > but I don't know enough to be able to ask the correct question(s).
    >
    > Appreciative thanks in advance.

    Yes, you can perform a repair installation of Windows. This is done WITHOUT
    the disk format and partition that WOULD wipe your hard drive clean. For
    more information simply Google like this: repair installation of windows xp
    professional

    But, you will very likely still have to reinstall all your applications.
    So, I would go for a complete format and clean installation. Google for
    information like this: clean installation of windows xp professional

    Back up ALL YOUR FILES AND CRITICAL DATA. Since you have the installation
    CD's for your various applications like Microsoft Office, Adobe Photoshop
    and so on, you don't have to back those up. Just the data you created using
    those applications. You do have those CD's, right?

    If your Windows disk is an OEM Restore disk, forget everything I just said.
    If I recall correctly, an OEM Restore disk can not perform a repair
    installation, only a full restore which will wipe the hard drive and return
    it to the state it was in when you took the machine out of the box.

    Kevin, Apr 28, 2006
  6. Red Merkin

    Dan Evans Guest

    "Kevin" <> wrote in message

    > If your Windows disk is an OEM Restore disk, forget everything I just
    > said. If I recall correctly, an OEM Restore disk can not perform a repair
    > installation, only a full restore which will wipe the hard drive and
    > return it to the state it was in when you took the machine out of the box.

    Depends. My Toshiba restore had the option to restore the whole drive to
    factory spec or just reinstall Windows. I think the Asus disk is the same
    but haven't tried it (as the laptop is running Linux).

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Apr 28, 2006
  7. Red Merkin

    Bud Stein Guest

    Red Merkin wrote:
    > I have a question . . . Can I take my installation disk and reinstall
    > over what I have, with out losing any files, except system?

    Red,

    Depending on the type of operating system disc available, you may
    perform a repair install of Windows XP. A good resource is:

    http://www.windowsreinstall.com/

    However, you should back up all your important data prior to any change
    in your system. Hard drives stop working and data recovery is
    expensive. Back up valuable data daily.

    Bud Stein

    Bud Stein, Apr 28, 2006
  8. Red Merkin

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 20:05:04 -0500, Red Merkin wrote:

    > ubject: A Systems Install Question
    > From: Red Merkin <>
    > Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    > Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 20:05:04 -0500
    >
    > I have a question which, I hope is not too dumb.I am running Win XP Pro
    > SP!, and I really need to clean it. Can I take my installation disk and
    > reinstall over what I have, with out losing any files

    no.

    Meat Plow, Apr 28, 2006
  9. Red Merkin

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Fri, 28 Apr 2006 01:16:20 +0000, Chadwick Stone© wrote:

    > ubject: Re: A Systems Install Question
    > From: "Chadwick Stone©" <chad_stone@127.0.0.1>
    > Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    > Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 01:16:20 GMT

    > Red Merkin [] has entered into testimony
    >

    >> I have a question which, I hope is not too dumb.I am running Win XP Pro
    >> SP!, and I really need to clean it.

    > What is the problem? Is the plastic getting yellowish? Are there public
    > hairs in your keyboard?

    As opposed to "private" hairs :)

    Meat Plow, Apr 28, 2006
  10. Red Merkin

    riethorst Guest

    "Meat Plow" <> schreef in bericht
    > On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 20:05:04 -0500, Red Merkin wrote:
    >
    > > ubject: A Systems Install Question
    > > From: Red Merkin <>
    > > Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    > > Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 20:05:04 -0500
    > >
    > > I have a question which, I hope is not too dumb.I am running Win XP Pro
    > > SP!, and I really need to clean it. Can I take my installation disk and
    > > reinstall over what I have, with out losing any files

    > no.

    REVOLUTION IS COMMING AT 11-9-2006

    EUROPE 4 MOSLIMS
    STARTING UK