A striking photo

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by PhotoPhartz, May 31, 2013.

  1. PhotoPhartz

    PhotoPhartz Guest

    PhotoPhartz, May 31, 2013

  2. PhotoPhartz

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Thu, 30 May 2013 19:45:53 -0700, Savageduck
    <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    >On 2013-05-30 18:45:09 -0700, PhotoPhartz <> said:
    >
    >> I was perusing the photos of the U.S. Pro Cycling championships on
    >> Cyclingnews and this one really struck me:
    >>
    >> http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/us...ampionships-2013/mens-road-race/photos/267676

    >Photographed
    >>
    >> by Jonathan Devich. Obviously has some post work done but
    >> interesting. There's some other nice shots in the collection, mixed in
    >> with the standard racing type shots.

    >That shot is an HDR, not particularly good one, but an HDR none the less.

    The link took me a 30-shot series. I looked at a few of them, and
    they all seemed like standard images. Which one do you say is HDR?

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

    Tony Cooper, May 31, 2013

  3. PhotoPhartz

    PhotoPhartz Guest

    Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in

    >> Photographed
    >> by Jonathan Devich. Obviously has some post work done but
    >> interesting. There's some other nice shots in the collection, mixed
    >> in with the standard racing type shots.

    > That shot is an HDR, not particularly good one, but an HDR none the
    > less.

    It's definitely got an effected look but I like it. The contrast of
    inside/outside and the motion blur of the riders.

    > I got some Amgen Tour of California shots in 2011 when the route ran
    > past my place.
    > < https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/DNC_9005E1w.jpg >

    Cool.

    I took some of my bike out in the back yard one day after putting on
    some new bars and getting it all cleaned up. Nuthin' special. Taken
    with my old A550.

    < http://opa.cig2.usa.canon.com/s/m/AygcmvKf3jA/wkomgLy1wqmJmawS >

    < http://opa.cig2.usa.canon.com/s/m/AygcmvKf3jA/o1JkcBx2po0L1iXx >

    --

    Pat

    email: phartzATcoxDOTnet

    PhotoPhartz, May 31, 2013
  4. PhotoPhartz

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Thu, 30 May 2013 20:30:32 -0700, Savageduck
    <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    >On 2013-05-30 20:09:16 -0700, Tony Cooper <> said:
    >
    >> On Thu, 30 May 2013 19:45:53 -0700, Savageduck
    >> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    >Photographed
    >
    >by

    >>> That shot is an HDR, not particularly good one, but an HDR none the less.

    >> The link took me a 30-shot series. I looked at a few of them, and
    >> they all seemed like standard images. Which one do you say is HDR?

    >The one that link opens on. The fans in a restaurant looking out on the
    >cyclists riding by. It is listed as 16/30.
    >That shot is either an HDR or tone-mapped.
    >My money is on HDR.

    Oh. Well, so what? It's an establishing shot that is one of a
    series. Not one that most people would look at closely.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

    Tony Cooper, May 31, 2013
  5. PhotoPhartz

    PeterN Guest

    On 5/30/2013 9:45 PM, PhotoPhartz wrote:
    > I was perusing the photos of the U.S. Pro Cycling championships on
    > Cyclingnews and this one really struck me:
    >
    > http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/us...ampionships-2013/mens-road-race/photos/267676
    >
    > Photographed by Jonathan Devich. Obviously has some post work done but
    > interesting. There's some other nice shots in the collection, mixed in
    > with the standard racing type shots.

    This is my favorite:
    <http://www.redbull.com/us/en/stories/1331593369959/focus-on-silhouettes>

    --
    PeterN

    PeterN, May 31, 2013
  6. PhotoPhartz

    PeterN Guest

    On 5/30/2013 10:45 PM, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2013-05-30 18:45:09 -0700, PhotoPhartz <> said:
    >
    >> I was perusing the photos of the U.S. Pro Cycling championships on
    >> Cyclingnews and this one really struck me:
    >>
    >> http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/us...ampionships-2013/mens-road-race/photos/267676
    >>

    > Photographed
    >>
    >> by Jonathan Devich. Obviously has some post work done but
    >> interesting. There's some other nice shots in the collection, mixed in
    >> with the standard racing type shots.

    > That shot is an HDR, not particularly good one, but an HDR none the less.
    >
    > I got some Amgen Tour of California shots in 2011 when the route ran
    > past my place.
    > < https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/DNC_9005E1w.jpg >

    Nice capture. I like the intensity in their faces. I would have
    lightened the faces and darkened the background. Still well done.

    --
    PeterN

    PeterN, May 31, 2013
  7. PhotoPhartz

    PeterN Guest

    On 5/30/2013 11:30 PM, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2013-05-30 20:09:16 -0700, Tony Cooper <> said:
    >
    >> On Thu, 30 May 2013 19:45:53 -0700, Savageduck
    >> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    > Photographed
    >
    > by

    >>> That shot is an HDR, not particularly good one, but an HDR none the
    >>> less.

    >> The link took me a 30-shot series. I looked at a few of them, and
    >> they all seemed like standard images. Which one do you say is HDR?

    > The one that link opens on. The fans in a restaurant looking out on the
    > cyclists riding by. It is listed as 16/30.
    > That shot is either an HDR or tone-mapped.
    > My money is on HDR.
    >
    >>> I got some Amgen Tour of California shots in 2011 when the route ran
    >>> past my place.
    >>> < https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/DNC_9005E1w.jpg >

    > ...and for the hell of it another 2011 Tour of California shot.
    > < https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1295663/FileChute/DNC_9046E1w.jpg >

    I tried a different crop and lightened the shadows, and this is the result:

    <https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/1.jpg>

    --
    PeterN

    PeterN, May 31, 2013
  8. PhotoPhartz

    PeterN Guest

    On 5/30/2013 11:30 PM, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2013-05-30 20:09:16 -0700, Tony Cooper <> said:
    >
    >> On Thu, 30 May 2013 19:45:53 -0700, Savageduck
    >> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    > Photographed
    >
    > by

    >>> That shot is an HDR, not particularly good one, but an HDR none the
    >>> less.

    >> The link took me a 30-shot series. I looked at a few of them, and
    >> they all seemed like standard images. Which one do you say is HDR?

    > The one that link opens on. The fans in a restaurant looking out on the
    > cyclists riding by. It is listed as 16/30.
    > That shot is either an HDR or tone-mapped.
    > My money is on HDR.

    I would not take that bet. DXO claims you can get decent single shot
    HDR, I will play and see. I am still trying to leaarn some of the
    basics, though.

    --
    PeterN

    PeterN, May 31, 2013
  9. PhotoPhartz

    PeterN Guest

    On 5/31/2013 3:27 PM, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2013-05-31 09:30:08 -0700, PeterN <> said:
    >
    >> On 5/30/2013 11:30 PM, Savageduck wrote:

    > Photographed
    >
    > by
    >
    > Jonathan

    >>> The one that link opens on. The fans in a restaurant looking out on the
    >>> cyclists riding by. It is listed as 16/30.
    >>> That shot is either an HDR or tone-mapped.
    >>> My money is on HDR.

    >>> ...and for the hell of it another 2011 Tour of California shot.
    >>> <
    >>> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1295663/FileChute/DNC_9046E1w.jpg >
    >>>

    >> I tried a different crop and lightened the shadows, and this is the
    >> result:
    >>

    >> <https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/1.jpg>

    > Hmmm......
    > My first take on yours was "lighten what shadows?"
    > Then with your crop, you seem to have compressed the tail end of the
    > peloton, and removed the context of the climb out of the valley behind
    > them.

    At first I lightened the dark portion of the mountains. Then I tried the
    crop. The slight exposure increase in the dark areas increased the
    definition of the riders.

    Yes your image is a nice landscape scene punctuated by the riders. My
    crop is saying the riders are oblivious to context. Neither of our
    interpretations is wrong, except my interpretation was not what you
    intended.

    --
    PeterN

    PeterN, May 31, 2013
  10. PhotoPhartz

    PeterN Guest

    On 5/31/2013 7:47 PM, Eric Stevens wrote:
    > On Fri, 31 May 2013 12:36:14 -0400, PeterN
    > <> wrote:

    >>> Photographed
    >>>
    >>> by

    >>> The one that link opens on. The fans in a restaurant looking out on the
    >>> cyclists riding by. It is listed as 16/30.
    >>> That shot is either an HDR or tone-mapped.
    >>> My money is on HDR.
    >>>

    >> I would not take that bet. DXO claims you can get decent single shot
    >> HDR, I will play and see. I am still trying to leaarn some of the
    >> basics, though.

    > So does the Nik HDR embedded in Paint Shop Pro.

    I amnot familiar with the newer version of PSP, but NIK HDR also does that.

    I have duplicated an NEF file, processed the dupes in ACR, One two stops
    under, four stops under, then two over and four over.

    --
    PeterN

    PeterN, Jun 1, 2013
  11. PhotoPhartz

    PhotoPhartz Guest

    Eric Stevens <> wrote in

    > <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Upon further consideration, I think it is most likely a single shot
    >>Tone-mapped pseudo HDR.

    > Yep.

    Whew, boy, I'm sure glad we solved that. (<;

    --

    Pat

    email: phartzATcoxDOTnet

    PhotoPhartz, Jun 1, 2013