    These lines are in a 1x2 table with width 90% of the parent cell. It
    seems that FF sometimes, randomly, uses 100%. Why?

    Greetings, Maurice

    Maurice, Mar 11, 2005

  2. Maurice

    Roland Guest

    On 11-3-2005 10:14, Maurice wrote:

    > Good day,
    >
    > Firefox displays strangely the page
    > http://www.ac-noumea.nc/maths/amc/polyhedr/p_Johnson_.htm
    >
    > The "J nn" are not lined up vertically; it's not very important, but can
    > someone explain why?
    > With IE everything appears fine. The local version of this page (the one
    > on my HDD) is well displayed by FF and IE.
    >
    > If you reload the page other "J nn" are concerned. But if you change the
    > character size then they all line up... and remain so when you return to
    > the normal size.
    > These lines are in a 1x2 table with width 90% of the parent cell. It
    > seems that FF sometimes, randomly, uses 100%. Why?
    >
    > Greetings, Maurice

    Yep, I see the same in FF1.0.1 and Mozilla 1.7.5.

    Why? I don't know. But as you noted that there's a difference when
    when the page is loaded from the internet, Firefox already starts
    rendering the page, while FF has not received *all* page data from the
    website (very often loading a page from internet is slower than loading
    it from your local disk).
    I guess, that FF sometimes calculates the width of the table based on
    incomplete information. For example, after FF received the page upto and
    including J18, it already starts rendering the table on the page, i.e.
    FF has received the first 6 rows and the first cell of the 7th row. As
    this 7th row is not yet complete, the total width of that row is not
    known, and width of the embedded 1x2 table containing J18 could be
    slightly smaller or wider than the others. And hence the J18 would
    appear to be misalligned.

    If I go to a new page, and then go back to the p_Johnson_ page, all Jnn
    seem to lign up properly. I guess, this can be explained from the fact
    that the page is already in cache, and loading the page from (local
    disk) cache is faster than loading from internet, so FF has the complete
    page before it starts rendering the table and therefor all Jnn appear
    properly aligned.

    FWIW, the time Firefox waits between loading data and the moment it
    starts rendering can be tweaked with the integer preference
    'nglayout.initialpaint.delay'. The pref is not in the about:config list
    by default, its value is in milliseconds (i.e. 2000 would mean a 2
    second delay), and I don't know what the default value is.
    You could experiment with this setting, i.e. increase it.
    Or try to acquire a very fast internet connection ;-)
    --
    Regards,

    Roland de Ruiter
    ___ ___
    /__/ w_/ /__/
    / \ /_/ / \

    Roland, Mar 11, 2005

  3. Maurice

    Maurice Guest

    Roland wrote:
    > On 11-3-2005 10:14, Maurice wrote:
    >
    >> Good day,
    >>
    >> Firefox displays strangely the page
    >> http://www.ac-noumea.nc/maths/amc/polyhedr/p_Johnson_.htm
    >>
    >> The "J nn" are not lined up vertically; it's not very important, but
    >> can someone explain why?
    >> With IE everything appears fine. The local version of this page (the
    >> one on my HDD) is well displayed by FF and IE.
    >>
    >> If you reload the page other "J nn" are concerned. But if you change
    >> the character size then they all line up... and remain so when you
    >> return to the normal size.
    >> These lines are in a 1x2 table with width 90% of the parent cell. It
    >> seems that FF sometimes, randomly, uses 100%. Why?
    >>
    >> Greetings, Maurice

    > Yep, I see the same in FF1.0.1 and Mozilla 1.7.5.
    >
    > Why? I don't know. But as you noted that there's a difference when
    > when the page is loaded from the internet, Firefox already starts
    > rendering the page, while FF has not received *all* page data from the
    > website (very often loading a page from internet is slower than loading
    > it from your local disk).
    > I guess, that FF sometimes calculates the width of the table based on
    > incomplete information. For example, after FF received the page upto and
    > including J18, it already starts rendering the table on the page, i.e.
    > FF has received the first 6 rows and the first cell of the 7th row. As
    > this 7th row is not yet complete, the total width of that row is not
    > known, and width of the embedded 1x2 table containing J18 could be
    > slightly smaller or wider than the others. And hence the J18 would
    > appear to be misalligned.
    >
    > If I go to a new page, and then go back to the p_Johnson_ page, all Jnn
    > seem to lign up properly. I guess, this can be explained from the fact
    > that the page is already in cache, and loading the page from (local
    > disk) cache is faster than loading from internet, so FF has the complete
    > page before it starts rendering the table and therefor all Jnn appear
    > properly aligned.
    >
    > FWIW, the time Firefox waits between loading data and the moment it
    > starts rendering can be tweaked with the integer preference
    > 'nglayout.initialpaint.delay'. The pref is not in the about:config list
    > by default, its value is in milliseconds (i.e. 2000 would mean a 2
    > second delay), and I don't know what the default value is.
    > You could experiment with this setting, i.e. increase it.

    I can try that, but not all visitors will do it!!!

    > Or try to acquire a very fast internet connection ;-)

    I have a basic ADSL connection.

    Thanks for the explanation; seems correct.

    On the French version of the page
    http://www.ac-noumea.nc/maths/amc/polyhedr/p_Johnson.htm
    I have "brutally" solved the problem: table width to 100%, spaces at the
    beginning/end with
    Not elegant, but efficient...

    Greetings, Maurice

    Maurice, Mar 11, 2005