A story sort of solved- the image ...dll is possibly corrupt. Theheader checksum does not match

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by jameshanley39@yahoo.co.uk, Mar 31, 2008.

  1. Guest

    note- this is not a request for help. But if anybody has any good
    comments, they are welcome!

    STOP C0000221 (Bad Image checksum)
    The image COMCTL32.dll is piossibly corrupt. The header checksum does
    not match the computed checksum.

    note- I noticed from google that others had this error but with some
    other file.. seemed to be a dll they had problem with.

    I knew the users of this comp didn't install much on it, certainly not
    anything that should mess with a system file

    And figured they wouldn't be going to any dodgy sites(since that could
    -in theory- screw up a system file.. Though unlikely that a malicious
    site would do that).

    So suspected it was the hard drive that had problems.. and had
    corrupted the file.

    I could not get into windows and even in safe mode it gave the blue
    screen..
    To get to safe mode, comp also had a glitch, where the only way to get
    the windows F8 menu up was to go into the BIOS exit the BIOS, and then
    hit F8 (twice actually. once and it gave the boot.ini menu)
    Also, straight after the BSOD (which was the screen with the stop
    error of course), it restarted. And fortunately, I noticed there was/
    is an option in the F8 menu to
    I loaded up UBCD and.
    I ran chkdsk /r (as /? shows. /R implies /F)
    It mentioned a few files as bad, only a few. And one of the things it
    said was

    "windows replaceed bad clusters in file 757879 of name \windows
    \system32\comctl32.dll "

    well, that's the file mentioned in the blue screen. so that is
    promising.

    Still though, windows did not start. No blue screen, but error about
    other files. Winlogon.exe cannot do something or other.

    So then I tried another thing I had planned on even before running
    chkdsk..

    I had a copy of XP Pro (though the problem machine had XP Home).. And
    I renamed the problem file - and copied the working one on.

    I tried passing the file with a USB key but UBCD did not see USB -
    strange, may be old version of UBCD? But I used a floppy.. One didn't
    work(cyclic redundancy check.. so threw that one out), the other one
    did.

    Then windows started up on the "problem machine".
    Fine..

    Though it is still problematic because the hard drive prob has
    problems!

    Not really solved, 'cos I am sure hard drive is bad and they need a
    new hard drive really..

    Googling, one site said
    windowsbbs.com
    Debug the memory dump using our Dump Data Collection
    Tool and we'll see if anything shows up - caveat .....

    sounds interesting?!!

    interesting options in F8 menu were
    Enable Boot Logging
    and
    Debugging mode

    anybody used those?

    interesting site, which I had seen before, was
    http://aumha.org/a/stop.htm

    but most interestingly.. the most obvious idea. Of just replacing the
    file, was not found anywhere on Google.

    chkdsk /r was worthwhile though., May have helped the hard drive a
    bit! Chkdsk without any switches is read only. So you can even do c:
    \>chkdsk
    but chkdsk with /r will write, and that has to be done from another
    drive letter. Managed to do it in UBCD it saying anything about
    "dismounting" or telling me to reboot and run chkdsk. Infact when I
    did that it didn't work.. I can see why.

    This was an unusual BSOD, because I could not get into safe mode. And
    so could not turn off automatic restart when BSOD, from within
    windows. And since I could not enter windows, I could not see Event
    Viewer.. And like most humanoids, I don't know how to debug memory
    dumps. But have never needed to..
    , Mar 31, 2008

  2. Guest

    On 31 Mar, 02:48, ""
    <> wrote:
> [...]
    >
    > interesting site, which I had seen before, washttp://aumha.org/a/stop.htm
    >
    > but most interestingly.. the most obvious idea. Of just replacing the
    > file, was not found anywhere on Google.
    >
    > chkdsk /r was worthwhile though.,  May have helped the hard drive a
    > bit!   Chkdsk without any switches is read only. So you can even do c:
    > \>chkdsk
    > but chkdsk with /r  will write, and that has to be done from another
    > drive letter.  Managed to do it in UBCD it saying anything about
    > "dismounting" or telling me to reboot and run chkdsk. Infact when I
    > did that it didn't work..  I can see why.
    >
    > This was an unusual BSOD, because I could not get into safe mode. And
    > so could not turn off automatic restart when BSOD,  from within
    > windows.   And since I could not enter windows, I could not see Event
    > Viewer..  And like most humanoids, I don't know how to debug memory

    Notice also that chkdsk stated something that suggested it had fixed
    the file. But it hadn't.

    And infact after chkdsk had done something with that file, there was
    no indication than that file was funny.. And errors were in windows
    dialogs and regarding other files. I just suspected that maybe that
    file was never fixed and other errors were dependent on that.
    That was indeed the case! I would think though in most cases of
    file corruption, it is more than just one file that is screwed..

    And the proper solution for these people is probably making an image
    and putting it on a new hard drive. Nothing to discuss regarding
    proper solution.. It's obvious.

    But there may be some things in that post of interest.
    , Mar 31, 2008

  3. - Bobb - Guest

    Re: A story sort of solved- the image ...dll is possibly corrupt

    <> wrote in message
    On 31 Mar, 02:48, ""
    <> wrote:
    <snipped>
    > I could not get into windows and even in safe mode it
    > gave the blue screen..

    <snipped>

    -- <> later wrote:

    Notice also that chkdsk stated something that suggested it had fixed
    the file. But it hadn't.

    And infact after chkdsk had done something with that file, there was
    no indication than that file was funny.. And errors were in windows
    dialogs and regarding other files. I just suspected that maybe that
    file was never fixed and other errors were dependent on that.
    That was indeed the case! I would think though in most cases of
    file corruption, it is more than just one file that is screwed..

    ----

    "Enable Boot Logging" creates a log file as it executes the startup
    instructions and puts into a file called bootlog.txt.
    If you can then ope the file , you will see the status / failure of each
    instruction. So if you need more info on issues, you then read that file
    from another PC to "follow along with the boot process".

    Debugging mode is a whole 'nother thing - technical - send data to another
    PC - try msft search for more how-to instructions:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315222/en-us

    Have you tried to put this system disk in another PC ?

    I have XP MediaCenter laptop - last month - blue screen/reboot loop. Safe
    mode would hang. When I got home, I used cd/ utilities and could see the
    drive/files but could not fix it UNTIL ( as a last resort) I removed from
    laptop and using sata-USB adapter made it drive #2 in a desktop XP Pro. XP
    Pro booted - saw the "bad drive", ran scandisk at startup and "fixed it".
    There were 1900 errors on ONE file ( and only that one file was bad - why
    it "reapired the one file 1900 times I have no idea, but I watched the
    screen the while time- It TOOK ABOUT 30 MINUTES). After scandisk, ( at
    login prompt) I shutdown . Removed from desktop - back in laptop - working
    fine. Granted, I don't know what file it was, but I assume disk structure
    since it was only referred to as File #7 for every error.
    Perhaps in your case , need to boot CD and "repair windows", but I'd
    suggest you try this on a desktop pc with only a C partition on it ( so no
    drive letter issues)
    Good Luck
    Bobb
    - Bobb -, Mar 31, 2008
  4. Guest

    Re: A story sort of solved- the image ...dll is possibly corrupt

    On 31 Mar, 13:02, "- Bobb -" <b...@noemail.123> wrote:
    <snip>
    > I have XP MediaCenter laptop - last month - blue screen/reboot loop. Safe
    > mode would hang. When I got home, I used cd/ utilities and could see the
    > drive/files but could not fix it UNTIL ( as a last resort)  I removed from
    > laptop and using sata-USB adapter made it drive #2 in a desktop XP Pro. XP
    > Pro booted - saw the "bad drive", ran scandisk at startup and "fixed it".
    > There were 1900 errors on ONE file ( and only that one file was bad - why
    > it "reapired the one file 1900 times I have no idea, but I watched the
    > screen the while time- It TOOK ABOUT 30 MINUTES). After scandisk, ( at
    > login prompt) I shutdown . Removed from desktop - back in laptop - working
    > fine. Granted, I don't know what file it was, but I assume disk structure
    > since it was only referred to as File #7 for every error.

    Pathetic!

    So all you are saying is instead of using UBCD, you moved the hard
    drive to another computer.

    UBCD and doing X, is quicker/smarter than moving the hard drive to
    another machine and doing X. It is THE main advantage of UBCD.. maybe
    the only one.

    Anybody that knows UBCD, knows that.
    So you added nothing

    You should learn from that

    btw, you ran scandisk?
    Are you sure?
    If you open a command prompt and type
    c:>scandisk <ENTER>
    what comes up?

    And if it says the win xp equivalent to win98 command prompt or DOS's
    "bad command or filename" i.e. " 'scandisk' is not recognized as an
    internal or external command,operable program or batch file. "
    Then no excuses..
    I know you probably ran chkdsk. And confused DOS and win98 with win
    xp.

    There is another possibility , which I won't mention, because it's
    almost certainly false. Note- I haven't used XP MediaCenter
    , Mar 31, 2008
  5. Fantom Guest

    <> wrote in message
    On 31 Mar, 13:02, "- Bobb -" <b...@noemail.123> wrote:
    <snip>
    > I have XP MediaCenter laptop - last month - blue screen/reboot loop.
    > Safe mode would hang. When I got home, I used cd/ utilities and could
    > see the
    > drive/files but could not fix it UNTIL ( as a last resort) I removed
    > from laptop and using sata-USB adapter made it drive #2 in a desktop XP
    > Pro.
    > XP Pro booted - saw the "bad drive", ran scandisk at startup and "fixed
    > it".
    > There were 1900 errors on ONE file ( and only that one file was bad -
    > why it "reapired the one file 1900 times I have no idea, but I watched
    > the
    > screen the while time- It TOOK ABOUT 30 MINUTES). After scandisk, ( at
    > login prompt) I shutdown . Removed from desktop - back in laptop -
    > working fine. Granted, I don't know what file it was, but I assume disk
    > structure since it was only referred to as File #7 for every error.

    Pathetic!

    So all you are saying is instead of using UBCD, you moved the hard
    drive to another computer.

    UBCD and doing X, is quicker/smarter than moving the hard drive to
    another machine and doing X. It is THE main advantage of UBCD.. maybe
    the only one.

    Anybody that knows UBCD, knows that.
    So you added nothing

    You should learn from that

    btw, you ran scandisk?
    Are you sure?
    If you open a command prompt and type
    c:>scandisk <ENTER>
    what comes up?

    And if it says the win xp equivalent to win98 command prompt or DOS's
    "bad command or filename" i.e. " 'scandisk' is not recognized as an
    internal or external command,operable program or batch file. "
    Then no excuses..
    I know you probably ran chkdsk. And confused DOS and win98 with win
    xp.

    There is another possibility , which I won't mention, because it's
    almost certainly false. Note- I haven't used XP MediaCenter

    RE: " using UBCD and doing X, is quicker/smarter than moving the hard
    drive to another machine and doing X ",

    I think he meant - if using UBCD doesn't fix it , how is it 'smarter' to
    NOT move it / try it?
    Fantom, Mar 31, 2008
  6. Guest

    Re: A story sort of solved- the image ...dll is possibly corrupt

    <snip>
    > I think he meant - if using UBCD doesn't fix it , how is it 'smarter' to
    > NOT move it / try it?

    the thing I tried was chkdsk. What would he be suggesting one tries?
    And what would he be suggesting one tries, that UBCD won't do.

    Even if he did mean what you say, there are too many holes for it to
    be of any use.

    I see you are posting with OE. I have used OE in the past, doesn't it
    put those ">" signs in ?

    Otherwise you include what I wrote as if you wrote it.
    Standard usenet practice is those > signs distinguish.
    , Mar 31, 2008
  7. - Bobb - Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > <snip>
    >> I think he meant - if using UBCD doesn't fix it , how is it 'smarter'
    >> NOT move it / try it?

    > the thing I tried was chkdsk. What would he be suggesting one tries?
    > And what would he be suggesting one tries, that UBCD won't do.
    >
    > Even if he did mean what you say, there are too many holes for it to
    > be of any use.

    Too many holes ?

    Did you even READ what I typed ?
    "... I removed from laptop and using sata-USB adapter made it drive #2 in
    a desktop XP Pro. XP Pro booted - saw the "bad drive", ran scandisk at
    startup and 'fixed it' ".

    I ran NOTHING. XP FIXED my problem.
    As you so nicely said " You should learn from that".

    ( I have UBCD, I have Symantec , Fix-It , Acronis / other disk
    utilities - they couldn't fix my problem. )

    Again ( for the sake of others):
    I added "bad drive" as secondary and booted XP Pro from my desktop PC's
    internal drive. At startup, XP noticed the laptop (secondary) drive "
    needs checking" (since it was not shutdown properly while in laptop and I
    powered it off ) and XP - by itself - ran scandisk for me ( NOT CHKDSK )
    on the "bad drive". After "fixing all the errors" on the secondary
    drive,and getting to XP login prompt, I shutdown the desktop PC. I then
    removed the laptop drive from desktop PC and put it back into laptop. My
    laptop PC now works - as before - without a reinstall - as a result of
    moving it's bad NTFS drive to a good system and simply booting XP from the
    desktop PC's drive .
    - Bobb -, Apr 1, 2008
  8. Guest

    On 1 Apr, 20:35, "- Bobb -" <b...@noemail.123> wrote:
    > <> wrote in message

    > > <snip>
    > >> I think he meant - if using UBCD doesn't fix it , how is it 'smarter'
    > >> NOT move it / try it?

    > > the thing I tried was chkdsk. What would he be suggesting one tries?
    > > And what would he be suggesting one tries, that UBCD won't do.

    > > Even if he did mean what you say, there are too many holes for it to
    > > be of any use.

    > Too many holes ?
    >
    > Did you even READ what I typed ?
    > "... I removed from  laptop and using sata-USB adapter made it drive #2 in
    > a desktop XP Pro. XP  Pro booted - saw the "bad drive", ran scandisk at
    > startup and 'fixed it' ".
    >
    > I ran NOTHING.  XP FIXED my problem.
    > As you so nicely said  " You should learn from that".
    >
    >  ( I have UBCD, I have Symantec , Fix-It , Acronis / other disk
    > utilities - they couldn't fix my problem. )
    >
    > Again ( for the sake of others):
    > I added "bad drive" as secondary and booted XP Pro from my desktop PC's
    > internal drive. At startup, XP noticed the laptop (secondary) drive "
    > needs checking" (since it was not shutdown properly while in laptop and I
    > powered it off ) and XP - by itself - ran scandisk for me ( NOT CHKDSK )
    > on the "bad drive". After "fixing all the errors" on the secondary
    > drive,and getting to XP login prompt, I shutdown the desktop PC. I then
    > removed the laptop drive from desktop PC and put it back into laptop. My
    > laptop PC now works - as before - without a reinstall - as a result of
    > moving it's bad NTFS drive to a good system and simply booting XP from the
    > desktop PC's drive .

    scandisk is a win98 and DOS utility. it does not exist in win xp.

    are you telling me that scandisk fixed it, but Win XP/UBCD's chkdsk,
    did not?

    btw, what is "Fix-It (To find it, I tried googling utility "fix-
    it"), is it payware from vcom? how is it better than any freeware/
    built in things available?

    and what other disk utilities did you try? / do you find useful?
    , Apr 1, 2008
  9. Guest

    Re: A story sort of solved- the image ...dll is possibly corrupt

    On 1 Apr, 20:35, "- Bobb -" <b...@noemail.123> wrote:
    > <> wrote in message

    > > <snip>
    > >> I think he meant - if using UBCD doesn't fix it , how is it 'smarter'
    > >> NOT move it / try it?

    > > the thing I tried was chkdsk. What would he be suggesting one tries?
    > > And what would he be suggesting one tries, that UBCD won't do.

    > > Even if he did mean what you say, there are too many holes for it to
    > > be of any use.

    > Too many holes ?
    >
    > Did you even READ what I typed ?
    > "... I removed from  laptop and using sata-USB adapter made it drive #2 in
    > a desktop XP Pro. XP  Pro booted - saw the "bad drive", ran scandisk at
    > startup and 'fixed it' ".
    >
    > I ran NOTHING.  XP FIXED my problem.
    > As you so nicely said  " You should learn from that".
    >
    >  ( I have UBCD, I have Symantec , Fix-It , Acronis / other disk
    > utilities - they couldn't fix my problem. )
    >
    > Again ( for the sake of others):
    > I added "bad drive" as secondary and booted XP Pro from my desktop PC's
    > internal drive. At startup, XP noticed the laptop (secondary) drive "
    > needs checking" (since it was not shutdown properly while in laptop and I
    > powered it off ) and XP - by itself - ran scandisk for me ( NOT CHKDSK )
    > on the "bad drive". After "fixing all the errors" on the secondary
    > drive,and getting to XP login prompt, I shutdown the desktop PC. I then
    > removed the laptop drive from desktop PC and put it back into laptop. My
    > laptop PC now works - as before - without a reinstall - as a result of
    > moving it's bad NTFS drive to a good system and simply booting XP from the
    > desktop PC's drive .

    Regarding the "scandisk" you mentioned. You must have made a mistake.
    I think I can see where you went wrong.

    You were familiar with windows 98, and that sometimes when there was a
    crash, and it was starting windows, you would get a blue screen (not a
    BSOD). And it would scan the system (note- spacebar to skip it!)

    Well, with winxp, also, sometimes if there is some issue like windows
    not shutting down right.. Or just some switch in the registry set
    badly, then it can run chkdsk as soon as windows starts. And you get a
    blue screen. A way to get the effect as a one off.
    chkdsk /? shows /X
    c:\>chkdsk /X
    That will cause windows to restart.
    And if you try it you see the blue screen as it scans.
    But it is not scandisk.
    It actually says CHKDSK on the screen.

    Some people are familiar with it as an annoyance that runs on every
    boot due to a bad setting in the registry. Found these links via
    googling kellys korner chkdsk
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_c.htm
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm #82

    If on an XP machine you look for scandisk you won't find it. So that
    should have told you something.
    And another outstanding feature of scandisk, was you had to press
    SPACE to skip it. So many end users sat there waiting unable to get
    out of it. With chkdsk, (I just tried it with /X), you can press any
    key to get out of it.
    And of course the blue screen says chkdsk. Not scandisk.

    And the screen looked quite different to. I think there was a button
    on it that said "Exit". It was that button that you highlighted and
    pressed enter on.

    note- expert users - techies or not, were able to skip scandisk by
    throwing a tennis ball at the space bar.
    , Apr 2, 2008
  10. Guest

    Re: A story sort of solved- the image ...dll is possibly corrupt

    On 2 Apr, 00:07, ""
    <> wrote:
    <snip>

    And as I said.

    You could have run chkdsk from UBCD.

    And anybody that knows of UBCD, knows of the long winded method of
    moving the hard drive to another machine.
    , Apr 2, 2008

  12. Guest

    Re: A story sort of solved- the image ...dll is possibly corrupt

    On 2 Apr, 00:07, ""
    <> wrote:
    <snip>

    So I refer you back to what I said.

    You could have run chkdsk from UBCD.

    And anybody that knows of UBCD, knows of the long winded method of
    moving the hard drive to another machine.
    , Apr 2, 2008
  13. Guest

    Re: A story sort of solved- the image ...dll is possibly corrupt

    On 2 Apr, 01:05, ""
    <> wrote:
    > On 2 Apr, 00:07, ""<> wrote:
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    > And as I said.
    >
    > You could have run chkdsk from UBCD.
    >
    > And anybody that knows of UBCD, knows of the long winded method of
    > moving the hard drive to another machine.

    error with google, it suggested a few times that it did not post. So I
    reposted it. Now it appears 3 times.
    , Apr 2, 2008