A Step Backward???

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by ritpg, Dec 6, 2007.

  1. ritpg

    ritpg Guest

    Three years ago I bought a DAC-100 external video capture device to
    mate (firewire) with a then 3 year old Dell desktop running XP Pro
    for
    the purpose of digitizing old VHS tapes. I must say the DAC-100
    worked quite well (virtually no dropped frames) although the
    Cyberlink
    PowerDirector software was so painful to use I stopped before I could
    finish capturing and editing all the tapes. I recently purchased a
    Systemax Intel quad (Q6600) desktop running XP Pro and a copy of
    Adobe
    Premier Elements 3.0. I've been using this new system to capture
    video from my DV camcorder with pretty good success. When I decided
    to connect the DAC-100 to the new system to resume capturing the old
    VHS video, the results were extremely poor. The PC kept losing and
    regaining the DAC-100 and when it could maintain the connection the
    video capture was pathetic (more than half the frames were getting
    dropped). I expermented with the dip switches in the back of the DAC
    with no improvement and ended up restoring the original settings (for
    XP). I'm wondering if my new PC is too high powered for the DAC or
    is
    there a setting somewhere I need to fix. I see that the DAC-100 has
    been replaced by a DAC-200 whose improvments have nothing to do with
    new OSs or higher powered PCs so I'm not inclined to buy that newer
    model.
    If anyone has any ideas as to what could be causing my problem, I
    sure
    would appreciate hearing them. I hate to spend another $200 for a
    new
    video capture device when there's no way to know if will work any
    better with this new PC.
    Thanks.
    Terry

    ritpg, Dec 6, 2007

  2. On Thu, 6 Dec 2007 09:32:47 -0800 (PST), ritpg <> wrote:

    >Three years ago I bought a DAC-100 external video capture device to
    >mate (firewire) with a then 3 year old Dell desktop running XP Pro
    >for
    >the purpose of digitizing old VHS tapes. I must say the DAC-100
    >worked quite well (virtually no dropped frames) although the
    >Cyberlink
    >PowerDirector software was so painful to use I stopped before I could
    >finish capturing and editing all the tapes. I recently purchased a
    >Systemax Intel quad (Q6600) desktop running XP Pro and a copy of
    >Adobe
    >Premier Elements 3.0. I've been using this new system to capture
    >video from my DV camcorder with pretty good success. When I decided
    >to connect the DAC-100 to the new system to resume capturing the old
    >VHS video, the results were extremely poor. The PC kept losing and
    >regaining the DAC-100 and when it could maintain the connection the
    >video capture was pathetic (more than half the frames were getting
    >dropped). I expermented with the dip switches in the back of the DAC
    >with no improvement and ended up restoring the original settings (for
    >XP). I'm wondering if my new PC is too high powered for the DAC or
    >is
    >there a setting somewhere I need to fix. I see that the DAC-100 has
    >been replaced by a DAC-200 whose improvments have nothing to do with
    >new OSs or higher powered PCs so I'm not inclined to buy that newer
    >model.
    >If anyone has any ideas as to what could be causing my problem, I
    >sure
    >would appreciate hearing them. I hate to spend another $200 for a
    >new
    >video capture device when there's no way to know if will work any
    >better with this new PC.
    >Thanks.
    >Terry

    Perhaps the firewire driver for XP is the root evil here. The faster
    machine should not be the cause of a bottleneck. XP is where they
    decide, in their infinite wisdom, to remover the DOS VDM from the system,
    and IIRC I/O drivers may have taken a hit when they went through
    stripping things. Is your XP all loaded up with the patches, and service
    packs, etc.?

    The other thing would be the capture software, of course. You could
    boot up knoppix and see if you can perform a better capture session from
    within that.

    DL and burn a knoppix 5.1.1 CD or DVD (the DVD is a better bet for vid
    cap stuff being loaded) Boot the disc, and see what Linux had to offer
    about a year ago. It likely has the best picks of whatever everyone used
    back then.

    If that works, I'd blame either the drivers in windows (blame windows)
    or the software is having a problem with the stream compiled by the
    device and the two are not compatible (unless it has settings). The is a
    lot of windows based free cap software out there, but many are nagware or
    crippleware. Anyway, there are a few ways to tell if it is the box, the
    driver or the new software package.

    StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt, Dec 7, 2007