    rescanned, and a2 reported that the restored files were still infected, I
    brought my PC with installation discs from a large high street retailer.
    What should I do?
    Bob, Jan 31, 2004

  2. Bob

    Kráftéé Guest

    Bob wrote:
    > I downloaded the free version of "a squared" anti-trojan software.
    > It detected 3 infected files on my Windows 98 system
    >
    > C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WSOCK32.DLL Worm.Win32.Roach.d
    > C:\WINDOWS\NOTEPAD.EXE Worm.Win32.Shorm.311
    > C:\WINDOWS\WRITE.EXE Worm.Win32.Plexis
    >
    > I deleted these, rebooted, & made sure the files were gone. I then
    > restored NOTEPAD and WSOCK32.DLL from my original installation
    > disc. I then rescanned, and a2 reported that the restored files
    > were still infected, I brought my PC with installation discs from a
    > large high street retailer. What should I do?

    Turn off System restore, reboot & then do the deletion & restoration again,
    possibly...
    Kráftéé, Jan 31, 2004

  3. Bob

    Sultan Guest

    Bob wrote in news:YfSSb.38696$:

    > I downloaded the free version of "a squared" anti-trojan software. It
    > detected 3 infected files on my Windows 98 system
    >
    > C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WSOCK32.DLL Worm.Win32.Roach.d
    > C:\WINDOWS\NOTEPAD.EXE Worm.Win32.Shorm.311
    > C:\WINDOWS\WRITE.EXE Worm.Win32.Plexis
    >
    > I deleted these, rebooted, & made sure the files were gone. I then
    > restored NOTEPAD and WSOCK32.DLL from my original installation disc. I
    > then rescanned, and a2 reported that the restored files were still
    > infected, I brought my PC with installation discs from a large high
    > street retailer. What should I do?

    Try running Spybot Search and Destroy instead.

    Sultan

    Sultan, Jan 31, 2004
  4. Bob

    °Mike° Guest

    Get yourself a decent anti-trojan / antivirus. Wasn't
    A-squared once called ANTS? If so, it was rubbish then,
    and probably still is.

    Online Antitrojan scanner:
    ----------------------
    http://www.trojanscan.com/

    Anti-trojan programs:
    ----------------------
    Trojan Remover
    http://www.simplysup.com/

    Trojan Hunter
    http://www.misec.net/trojanhunter.jsp

    Trojan Defense Suite (TDS-3)
    http://tds.diamondcs.com.au/

    Tauscan
    http://www.agnitum.com/products/tauscan/

    On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 18:14:08 -0000, in
    <YfSSb.38696$>
    Bob scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Jan 31, 2004
  5. Bob

    Mara Guest

    On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 18:54:08 +0000, °Mike° wrote:

    >Get yourself a decent anti-trojan / antivirus. Wasn't
    >A-squared once called ANTS? If so, it was rubbish then,
    >and probably still is.

    As a matter of fact, yes.

    http://www.emsisoft.com/en/support/anti-trojan/

    <snip>

    --
    "... by God I *KNOW* what this network is for, and you can't have it."
    -- Russ Allbery, 3/31/98
    Mara, Jan 31, 2004
  6. Bob

    Mara Guest

    On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 18:14:08 -0000, Bob wrote:

    >I downloaded the free version of "a squared" anti-trojan software. It
    >detected 3 infected files on my Windows 98 system

    Get rid of it. The false positive rate is too high, which is exactly what's
    happening here:

    http://forum.emsisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=614

    As you can see, it *isn't* fixed.

    Mara, Jan 31, 2004
  7. Bob

    °Mike° Guest

    On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 12:58:26 -0600, in
    <>
    Mara scrawled:

    >On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 18:54:08 +0000, °Mike° wrote:
    >
    >>Get yourself a decent anti-trojan / antivirus. Wasn't
    >>A-squared once called ANTS? If so, it was rubbish then,
    >>and probably still is.

    >As a matter of fact, yes.
    >
    >http://www.emsisoft.com/en/support/anti-trojan/

    Thanks. If it's *anything* like it's predecessor, then I
    wouldn't touch it with a barge pole -- ANTS was atrocious.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Jan 31, 2004
  8. Bob

    Rud Guest

    "Bob" <> wrote in message
    > I downloaded the free version of "a squared" anti-trojan software. It
    > detected 3 infected files on my Windows 98 system
    >
    > C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WSOCK32.DLL Worm.Win32.Roach.d
    > C:\WINDOWS\NOTEPAD.EXE Worm.Win32.Shorm.311
    > C:\WINDOWS\WRITE.EXE Worm.Win32.Plexis
    >
    > I deleted these, rebooted, & made sure the files were gone. I then

    restored
    > NOTEPAD and WSOCK32.DLL from my original installation disc. I then
    > rescanned, and a2 reported that the restored files were still infected, I
    > brought my PC with installation discs from a large high street retailer.
    > What should I do?

    Download/buy a proper anti-virus program i.e. Norton anti virus and do a
    full system scan. It may just be a lousy program that you installed that
    thinks they are viruses. Or it may be a self reproducing virus that is on
    your system and installs itself again when you reinstall those files.
    Rud, Jan 31, 2004
  9. Bob

    Mara Guest

    On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 19:03:18 +0000, °Mike° wrote:

    >On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 12:58:26 -0600, in
    > <>
    > Mara scrawled:
    >
    >>On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 18:54:08 +0000, °Mike° wrote:
    >>
    >>>Get yourself a decent anti-trojan / antivirus. Wasn't
    >>>A-squared once called ANTS? If so, it was rubbish then,
    >>>and probably still is.

    >>As a matter of fact, yes.
    >>
    >>http://www.emsisoft.com/en/support/anti-trojan/

    >Thanks. If it's *anything* like it's predecessor, then I
    >wouldn't touch it with a barge pole -- ANTS was atrocious.

    Well, among your reasons, since the company said it had fixed the false-positive
    problem when it's pretty clear they haven't, I'd say it's a program to shun
    entirely.

    "Like the Black Death, in fact."

    Mara, Jan 31, 2004