    Radiation
    Sheild for weather instruments.

    http://tokoroa.dyndns.org
    Collector»NZ, Nov 12, 2008

  2. Collector»NZ

    me Guest

    "Collector»NZ" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I have a device 12v @.33A that I want to run 24x7. I have a 12v, 6amp/
    > hr
    > battery (seal lead acid) what sort of rated solar panel do you reckon
    > will be needed to keep the unit operational. Do you think I need a
    > float
    > regulator or just diaode back feed protection?

    you need a load-dumper / controller to stop the battery overcharging

    http://www.solar-power-answers.co.uk/lighting_system.html

    > I see it as being 95W hrs a day drain. Solarization at my location I
    > figure at about 35-45%.

    So that would be 35 kw a year,

    I reackon a 40 watt array would suffice.

    try
    (0.04 kwp)

    http://re.jrc.ec.europa.eu/pvgis/apps3/pvest.php#

    if you reverse your latitude / longitude, you may find equivalent
    information from european location.

    it probably wont work in deepest winter.

    Have you thought of wind power? though you need a yearly average windspeed
    of at least 5 meters/sec ?

    http://www.windtrap.co.uk/generate-electricity/wind-turbines/rutland-504-wind-turbine/

    you need to get the power curve specs of it, and find your local average
    windspeed

    > What am I upto well its for what we call a FARS, "Fan Asisted
    > Radiation
    > Sheild for weather instruments.
    >
    > http://tokoroa.dyndns.org

    faraday sheild ?

    good luck with that

    hth
    me, Nov 12, 2008

  3. Collector»NZ

    me Guest

    > Have you thought of wind power? though you need a yearly average windspeed
    > of at least 5 meters/sec ?

    >> What am I upto well its for what we call a FARS, "Fan Asisted
    >> Radiation
    >> Sheild for weather instruments.

    doh, i think i just broke the second law of something or other by trying to
    get a turbine to drive a fan
    me, Nov 12, 2008
  4. Collector»NZ

    Enkidu Guest

    me wrote:

    >> Have you thought of wind power? though you need a yearly average
    >> windspeed
    >> of at least 5 meters/sec ?

    >>> What am I upto well its for what we call a FARS, "Fan Asisted
    >>> Radiation
    >>> Sheild for weather instruments.

    > doh, i think i just broke the second law of something or other by trying
    > to get a turbine to drive a fan

    Thermodynamics. But that's OK, you can store up the energy from the
    turbine and use it to drive the fan when there is no wind. Or smooth the
    input to the fan on gusty days. Sure it's not particularly efficient,
    but you would have energy to burn, except on calm hot days.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    --

    Tax is not theft.
    Enkidu, Nov 12, 2008
  5. Collector»NZ

    EMB Guest

    EMB, Nov 13, 2008
  6. Collector»NZ

    EMB Guest

    EMB, Nov 13, 2008
  7. Collector»NZ

    me Guest

    "EMB" <> wrote in message news:491bb3f7$...
    > Collector€NZ wrote:
    >> Valuable hints there thanks.

    > http://www.piezo.com/prodfan3lv02.html

    if ya feeling brave, an alternator out of a car or moped from the scrap
    dealers and a bit of plywood would do.

    dont blame me when it flys apart during the next storm though lol
    me, Nov 13, 2008
  8. Collector»NZ

    > me wrote:
    >>
    >> "Collector»NZ" <> wrote in message
    >>> I have a device 12v @.33A that I want to run 24x7. I have a 12v, 6amp/
    >>> hr
    >>> battery (seal lead acid) what sort of rated solar panel do you reckon
    >>> will be needed to keep the unit operational. Do you think I need a
    >>> float
    >>> regulator or just diaode back feed protection?

    >> you need a load-dumper / controller to stop the battery overcharging
    >>
    >> http://www.solar-power-answers.co.uk/lighting_system.html
    >>
    >>> I see it as being 95W hrs a day drain. Solarization at my location I
    >>> figure at about 35-45%.

    >> So that would be 35 kw a year,
    >>
    >> I reackon a 40 watt array would suffice.
    >>
    >> try
    >> (0.04 kwp)
    >>
    >> http://re.jrc.ec.europa.eu/pvgis/apps3/pvest.php#
    >>
    >> if you reverse your latitude / longitude, you may find equivalent
    >> information from european location.
    >>
    >> it probably wont work in deepest winter.
    >>

    >> Have you thought of wind power? though you need a yearly average
    >> windspeed of at least 5 meters/sec ?
    >>
    >> http://www.windtrap.co.uk/generate-electricity/wind-turbines/rutland-504-wind-turbine/
    >> you need to get the power curve specs of it, and find your local average
    >> windspeed
    >>

    >>> What am I upto well its for what we call a FARS, "Fan Asisted
    >>> Radiation
    >>> Sheild for weather instruments.
    >>>
    >>> http://tokoroa.dyndns.org

    >> faraday sheild ?
    >>
    >> good luck with that
    >>
    >> hth
    >>

    > Valuable hints there thanks.
    > Faraday no, thats for EMF type things ifirc this is a sheild to stop
    > direct sunlight striking the instruments directly and producing false
    > readings

    thank you,

    the cheapest way is to run it off your mains or use a couple of car
    batteries and swap them round when needed.
    me, Nov 13, 2008
  9. Collector»NZ

    Gordon Guest

    On 2008-11-12, me <> wrote:

    > "Collector»NZ" <> wrote in message
    >>I have a device 12v @.33A that I want to run 24x7. I have a 12v, 6amp/
    >> hr
    >> battery (seal lead acid) what sort of rated solar panel do you reckon
    >> will be needed to keep the unit operational. Do you think I need a
    >> float
    >> regulator or just diaode back feed protection?

    > you need a load-dumper / controller to stop the battery overcharging
    >
    > http://www.solar-power-answers.co.uk/lighting_system.html

    This is unlikely to be a problem since it is a 24/7 operation.

    >> I see it as being 95W hrs a day drain. Solarization at my location I
    >> figure at about 35-45%.

    > So that would be 35 kw a year,
    >
    > I reackon a 40 watt array would suffice.
    >
    > try
    > (0.04 kwp)
    >
    > http://re.jrc.ec.europa.eu/pvgis/apps3/pvest.php#
    >
    > if you reverse your latitude / longitude, you may find equivalent
    > information from european location.

    Waht has longitude go to do with the task in question?

    > it probably wont work in deepest winter.

    But it must, for it is 24/7 operation

    > Have you thought of wind power? though you need a yearly average windspeed
    > of at least 5 meters/sec ?

    But if combined with solar?
    Gordon, Nov 13, 2008
  10. Collector»NZ

    me Guest

    "Gordon" <> wrote in message
    > On 2008-11-12, me <> wrote:
    >>
    >> "Collector»NZ" <> wrote in message
    >>>I have a device 12v @.33A that I want to run 24x7. I have a 12v, 6amp/
    >>> hr
    >>> battery (seal lead acid) what sort of rated solar panel do you reckon
    >>> will be needed to keep the unit operational. Do you think I need a
    >>> float
    >>> regulator or just diaode back feed protection?

    >> you need a load-dumper / controller to stop the battery overcharging
    >>
    >> http://www.solar-power-answers.co.uk/lighting_system.html
    >>

    > This is unlikely to be a problem since it is a 24/7 operation.
    >

    >>> I see it as being 95W hrs a day drain. Solarization at my location I
    >>> figure at about 35-45%.

    >> So that would be 35 kw a year,
    >>
    >> I reackon a 40 watt array would suffice.
    >>
    >> try
    >> (0.04 kwp)
    >>
    >> http://re.jrc.ec.europa.eu/pvgis/apps3/pvest.php#
    >>
    >> if you reverse your latitude / longitude, you may find equivalent
    >> information from european location.

    > Waht has longitude go to do with the task in question?
    >>
    >> it probably wont work in deepest winter.

    > But it must, for it is 24/7 operation
    >

    >> Have you thought of wind power? though you need a yearly average
    >> windspeed
    >> of at least 5 meters/sec ?

    > But if combined with solar?

    Jilted John was right !
    me, Nov 13, 2008
  11. In article <e531b439-d967-439a-93c4-cd29a2604ee3
    @n33g2000pri.googlegroups.com>, says...
    > I have a device 12v @.33A that I want to run 24x7. I have a 12v, 6amp/
    > hr
    > battery (seal lead acid) what sort of rated solar panel do you reckon
    > will be needed to keep the unit operational. Do you think I need a
    > float
    > regulator or just diaode back feed protection?
    >
    > I see it as being 95W hrs a day drain. Solarization at my location I
    > figure at about 35-45%.
    >
    > I am thinking I might have to look for a device that draws less
    > current.
    >
    > What am I upto well its for what we call a FARS, "Fan Asisted
    > Radiation
    > Sheild for weather instruments.
    >
    > http://tokoroa.dyndns.org

    I think I'd look at maybe one 20W-40W panel which should be ample, you
    may get away with a lesser one, check out what Pel and Gallagher offer
    for electric fence units! They're likely to be rugged as well.

    On the other hand, I'd definitely forget that 6Ah battery, and put in a
    40Ah or 60Ah deep cycle battery - that will take care of keeping things
    ticking over for a period of several-days-of-thick-cloud.

    I've ruined a 4Ah gel battery by leaving it completely discharged for 3
    days .... wouldn't take more than an 10-15% charge ever after. Deep
    cycle jobbies can cope with that without a problem.

    I can have a word with a friend up the valley who runs his computer off
    a solar-panel cum deep cycle battery cum inverter setup (along with the
    12V lighting in his house), if you're [still] interested.

    -Peter
    Peter Huebner, Nov 13, 2008
  12. Collector»NZ

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs "EMB" typed:
    > Collector€NZ wrote:
    >> Valuable hints there thanks.

    > http://www.piezo.com/prodfan3lv02.html

    Interesting device. That's pushing the definition a bit far, calling it "a
    solid state device" though.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.