    How big can you blow up a 6 megapixel raw image of a watercolour, on
    perfect paper (3000 * 2000) before the 5% of people with the best eyes
    can tell through the glass, that it's a print?

    Ian, May 31, 2005

  2. Ian wrote:
    > I've read dozens of digital versus conventional versus human eye...
    > questions, and they've all just collapsed into ranting.
    >
    > Therefore I have a slightly different question.
    >
    > How big can you blow up a 6 megapixel raw image of a watercolour, on
    > perfect paper (3000 * 2000) before the 5% of people with the best eyes
    > can tell through the glass, that it's a print?

    Sounds like a nice topic for someone's MSc thesis!

    David J Taylor, May 31, 2005

  3. Ian

    Jim Guest

    "Ian" <> wrote in message
    > I've read dozens of digital versus conventional versus human eye...
    > questions, and they've all just collapsed into ranting.
    >
    > Therefore I have a slightly different question.
    >
    > How big can you blow up a 6 megapixel raw image of a watercolour, on
    > perfect paper (3000 * 2000) before the 5% of people with the best eyes
    > can tell through the glass, that it's a print?

    Interesting question. However, how it looks to me is the only thing that
    matters to me.
    Jim

    Jim, May 31, 2005
  4. Ian

    bmoag Guest

    Ever watch "Antiques Roadshow"?
    People who know what they are looking at will likely be able to tell from a
    close inspection, regardless of size. There are many people in different
    professions, not merely antique vendors, who do this kind of thing for a
    living.
    That doesn't mean they are always correct in their judgments, however.

    bmoag, May 31, 2005
  5. Ian

    tomm101 Guest

    Anyone worth anything will be able to tell an original painting from an
    inkjet, even on the same paper. Prints just look different, the way the
    colors merge, may require close inspection but the difference is there.
    There are legit artists who sell prints to have lower priced versions
    of their oringinals. Most artists I've seen the prints are the same
    size or smaller than the originals. The 3000x2000 pixel frame limits
    sizes somewhat. I have printed 16x20 from the same size watercolor, I
    have done 20x24 prints from 6mp photos with decent results. With a
    really good image, very sharp, even tonality you may be able to go
    larger. The Museum of Finearts in Boston is selling prints from the
    paintings in it's collection. They use a 300mb image from a scanning
    back on a 4x5 camera and print on Epson Smooth Fine Art paper lighting
    the paining to maximize both tonality and texture, printing on an Epson
    9600. The work is incredible but it is definitly a print.

    Tom

    tomm101, May 31, 2005