    (advantages?) of BluRay, and DVD.

    Thanks,

    Kevin
    Dont write, Mar 24, 2007

  2. Dont write

    Kimba W Lion Guest

    Dont write <> wrote:

    >Ok, I haven't been keeping up with technology, and I am just wondering
    >about the basics of BluRay. I guess more particularly the diffenernce
    >(advantages?) of BluRay, and DVD.

    Blu-Ray has a tiny catalog of mostly worthless titles.
    A Blu-Ray player will cost you at least 5 times more than a really good DVD
    player.
    Blu-Ray uses the same compression scheme as DVD, which is why they had to go
    to a high-capacity disc to provide HD.
    Blu-Ray discs were originally planned to be supplied in a caddy, because the
    data layer is closer to the surface, and therefore surface damage is more of
    a problem. It remains to be seen if Blu-Ray discs can survive handling by
    the average person.
    With HD-DVD going head-to-head with Blu-Ray for the tiny percentage of the
    consumer market that even knows either exists, Blu-Ray's future is
    uncertain. (And Sony has a long history of maverick formats that never
    caught on.) DVD is practically universally accepted.
    Kimba W Lion, Mar 24, 2007

  3. Dont write

    JB Guest

    On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 11:11:49 -0400, Kimba W Lion <KimbaWLion@> wrote:

    >Dont write <> wrote:
    >
    >>Ok, I haven't been keeping up with technology, and I am just wondering
    >>about the basics of BluRay. I guess more particularly the diffenernce
    >>(advantages?) of BluRay, and DVD.

    >Blu-Ray has a tiny catalog of mostly worthless titles.

    They're worthless to you because you can't afford them, dipshit

    >A Blu-Ray player will cost you at least 5 times more than a really good DVD
    >player.

    Bullshit. You're pulling figures out of your ass.

    >Blu-Ray uses the same compression scheme as DVD, which is why they had to go
    >to a high-capacity disc to provide HD.

    Crap. Are you retarted or what ?

    Blu-ray uses H.264 or VC-1 which are not DVD codecs.

    >Blu-Ray discs were originally planned to be supplied in a caddy, because the
    >data layer is closer to the surface, and therefore surface damage is more of
    >a problem. It remains to be seen if Blu-Ray discs can survive handling by
    >the average person.

    Well if a dipshit like you tosses them like frisbees then the
    reliability is shot.

    >With HD-DVD going head-to-head with Blu-Ray for the tiny percentage of the
    >consumer market that even knows either exists, Blu-Ray's future is
    >uncertain. (And Sony has a long history of maverick formats that never
    >caught on.) DVD is practically universally accepted.

    Uncertain ? What planet do you live on ?

    Blu-ray has the lions share of industry support. It's not going to
    disappear despite what FUD you believe.

    Keep talking crap, dipshit - you might get some reject to believe it.
    JB, Mar 25, 2007
  4. Dont write

    Richard C. Guest

    Quit changing your name, darkmater, joeblow, massive prong!

    That is the sign of a pathetic trolltard, dipshit!
    ============================

    Richard C., Mar 26, 2007
  5. Dont write

    Doug Jacobs Guest

    Dont write <> wrote:
    > Ok, I haven't been keeping up with technology, and I am just wondering
    > about the basics of BluRay. I guess more particularly the diffenernce
    > (advantages?) of BluRay, and DVD.

    Well, DVD's been around for over a decade now and is the dominant video
    standard right now. DVD does not do HD, however many DVD players (and
    HDTV's) can upscale the DVD signal (480p) into HD (720p, 1080i or 1080p,
    depending on your HDTV.)

    BluRay and HD-DVD are two competing standards for the next generation of
    DVD. Both feature larger storage capacities allowing them to store HD
    video. Personally, there's no reason to bother with these yet. They're
    fairly new, so their libraries are very small (compared to DVD) and the
    players are still very expensive. Also, with competing formats, you run
    the risk of choosing the "losing" format, in a repeat of VHS vs. Beta from
    the 1980s. Of course, this assumes you even OWN a HDTV with a HDMI port
    (the copy protection of future discs will REQUIRE this.)

    Also, as with VHS, DVD will continue to be around for many more years even
    when BluRay/HD-DVD do become the dominant format in the market.

    --
    Win cash and giftcards just for clicking your mouse!
    http://www.netwinner.com/?signupCode=amuro98
    Doug Jacobs, Mar 27, 2007
  6. Dont write

    Doug Jacobs Guest

    Richard C. <> wrote:
    > Quit changing your name, darkmater, joeblow, massive prong!

    While the posting style is remarkably similar, unless MP, the yappy dog,
    moved from Phoenix to Australia, I don't think these are the same person.

    If not, then awww...how cute. Yappy dog got himself a fanboy from Down
    Under.

    Doug Jacobs, Mar 27, 2007