    Can you get Sata to Molex power adapters.

    My PSU runs short on Modex connector and I do not like using Y cable splitters, but I do have 4 SATA
    power connector, can you get adapters to convert them to Molex..?

    Greg House, Oct 22, 2007

  2. On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 17:18:28 +1300, Roger Sheppard (posting as Greg House
    <ghouse@yabadabado.>, one of his 150+ pseudonyms) wrote in

    > Can you get Sata to Molex power adapters.
    >
    > My PSU runs short on Modex connector and I do not like using Y cable splitters, but I do have 4 SATA
    > power connector, can you get adapters to convert them to Molex..?

    You would be better advised to go with the Molex splitter option for
    reasons of current handling without distress. The SATA connectors have
    considerbly less contact area and are unlikely to be able to handle more
    than a couple of amps without getting hot.

    --
    Nicolaas.

    Nicolaas Hawkins, Oct 22, 2007

  3. Greg House

    Gordon Guest

    On 2007-10-22, Nicolaas Hawkins <> wrote:
    > On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 17:18:28 +1300, Roger Sheppard (posting as Greg House
    ><ghouse@yabadabado.>, one of his 150+ pseudonyms) wrote in
    >
    >> Can you get Sata to Molex power adapters.
    >>
    >> My PSU runs short on Modex connector and I do not like using Y cable splitters, but I do have 4 SATA
    >> power connector, can you get adapters to convert them to Molex..?

    > You would be better advised to go with the Molex splitter option for
    > reasons of current handling without distress. The SATA connectors have
    > considerbly less contact area and are unlikely to be able to handle more
    > than a couple of amps without getting hot.

    So just how much power does a modern HD consume?

    A not so new 80GB Seagate tells me 5v @ 0.85A and 12V @ 0.75A. Now since the
    power supply is both 5V and 12V, two HD running off one connection will not
    place more than 2A on either connection.

    A later 120GB has 5V@0.65A and 12V@ 0.37A.

    Still a modex connector probably is able to carry more current.

    Gordon, Oct 22, 2007
  4. On 22 Oct 2007 07:04:28 GMT, Gordon <> wrote
    in <news:>:

    > On 2007-10-22, Nicolaas Hawkins <> wrote:
    >> On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 17:18:28 +1300, Roger Sheppard (posting as Greg House
    >><ghouse@yabadabado.>, one of his 150+ pseudonyms) wrote in
    >>
    >>> Can you get Sata to Molex power adapters.
    >>>
    >>> My PSU runs short on Modex connector and I do not like using Y cable splitters, but I do have 4 SATA
    >>> power connector, can you get adapters to convert them to Molex..?

    >> You would be better advised to go with the Molex splitter option for
    >> reasons of current handling without distress. The SATA connectors have
    >> considerbly less contact area and are unlikely to be able to handle more
    >> than a couple of amps without getting hot.
    >>

    > So just how much power does a modern HD consume?

    It depends.
    Please quote where the OP mentions what he will be running from it.
    Clue: He didn't.

    > A not so new 80GB Seagate tells me 5v @ 0.85A and 12V @ 0.75A. Now since the
    > power supply is both 5V and 12V, two HD running off one connection will not
    > place more than 2A on either connection.

    Quite correct.

    > A later 120GB has 5V@0.65A and 12V@ 0.37A.
    >
    > Still a modex connector probably is able to carry more current.

    Thank you for that very small concession.
    It's Molex, by the way, not modex.

    Nicolaas Hawkins, Oct 22, 2007
  5. Greg House

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on the interweb "Nicolaas Hawkins" typed:
    > On 22 Oct 2007 07:04:28 GMT, Gordon <>
    > wrote in <news:>:
    >
    > > On 2007-10-22, Nicolaas Hawkins <> wrote:
    > > > On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 17:18:28 +1300, Roger Sheppard (posting as
    > > > Greg House <ghouse@yabadabado.>, one of his 150+ pseudonyms)

    > > > You would be better advised to go with the Molex splitter option
    > > > for reasons of current handling without distress. The SATA
    > > > connectors have considerbly less contact area and are unlikely to
    > > > be able to handle more than a couple of amps without getting hot.
    > > >

    > > So just how much power does a modern HD consume?

    > It depends.
    > Please quote where the OP mentions what he will be running from it.
    > Clue: He didn't.
    >
    > > A not so new 80GB Seagate tells me 5v @ 0.85A and 12V @ 0.75A. Now
    > > since the power supply is both 5V and 12V, two HD running off one
    > > connection will not place more than 2A on either connection.

    > Quite correct.
    >

    > > A later 120GB has 5V@0.65A and 12V@ 0.37A.
    > >
    > > Still a modex connector probably is able to carry more current.

    > Thank you for that very small concession.
    > It's Molex, by the way, not modex.

    But...... It *must* be "Modex", Roger Shepard said so!

    FWIW I totally agree with you. Firstly, Rog didn't state what he wanted to
    run off it, secondly, the contacts on a SATA connector are multiple per
    rail, not a single connector each as in a molex connector. To go from SATA
    to molex would require combining several conductors back into one, a
    pointless (and potentially complicated) excercise when you can just use a
    molex splitter cable.

    As much as I dislike molex connectors, as long as the devices that need
    powering have molex' then the best choice would be a splitter (or two, if
    two preferably on different "lines" from the PSU).
    --
    TTFN

    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Oct 22, 2007
  6. Greg House

    Greg House Guest

    On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 01:29:20 +1300, "~misfit~" <> wrote:

    >Somewhere on the interweb "Nicolaas Hawkins" typed:
    >> On 22 Oct 2007 07:04:28 GMT, Gordon <>
    >> wrote in <news:>:

    >> > So just how much power does a modern HD consume?

    >> It depends.
    >> Please quote where the OP mentions what he will be running from it.
    >> Clue: He didn't.
    >>
    >> > A not so new 80GB Seagate tells me 5v @ 0.85A and 12V @ 0.75A. Now
    >> > since the power supply is both 5V and 12V, two HD running off one
    >> > connection will not place more than 2A on either connection.

    >> Quite correct.
    >>

    >> > A later 120GB has 5V@0.65A and 12V@ 0.37A.
    >> >
    >> > Still a modex connector probably is able to carry more current.

    >> Thank you for that very small concession.
    >> It's Molex, by the way, not modex.

    >But...... It *must* be "Modex", Roger Shepard said so!
    >
    >FWIW I totally agree with you. Firstly, Rog didn't state what he wanted to
    >run off it, secondly, the contacts on a SATA connector are multiple per
    >rail, not a single connector each as in a molex connector. To go from SATA
    >to molex would require combining several conductors back into one, a
    >pointless (and potentially complicated) excercise when you can just use a
    >molex splitter cable.
    >
    >As much as I dislike molex connectors, as long as the devices that need
    >powering have molex' then the best choice would be a splitter (or two, if
    >two preferably on different "lines" from the PSU).

    Being that I am a fully Trained Main Frame Computer Eng, I thought that is would be obvious that I
    do know what I am doing, plus passing the electrical certificate here.

    The PSU that I had in the case had 8 Molex connector my current PSU only has 6, I have a total of 7
    IDE devices and a Video card, and I do not like using Y cables that use the Cheap Molex connectors
    with hard brass connectors, not the better quality bronze/copper ones that have a much higher
    current rating.

    It would only be used to power the DVD ROM and the DVD Burner or the hard drives.

    Greg House, Oct 23, 2007
  7. In message <>, Greg House
    < wrote:

    > Being that I am a fully Trained Main Frame Computer Eng, ...

    And yet you still couldn't pass that simple test I set for you.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 23, 2007
  8. Greg House

    Greg House Guest

    On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 17:34:42 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:

    >In message <>, Greg House
    >< wrote:
    >
    >> Being that I am a fully Trained Main Frame Computer Eng, ...

    >And yet you still couldn't pass that simple test I set for you.

    No I am just not interested in Luny Lunix users, they are already mad to use the stupid OS..

    Greg House, Oct 23, 2007
  9. In message <>, Greg House
    < wrote:

    > On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 17:34:42 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    > <_zealand> wrote:
    >
    >>In message <>, Greg House
    >>< wrote:
    >>
    >>> Being that I am a fully Trained Main Frame Computer Eng, ...

    >>And yet you still couldn't pass that simple test I set for you.

    > No I am just not interested in Luny Lunix users ...

    What did my test have to do with Linux?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 23, 2007
  10. Greg House

    Greg House Guest

    On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 19:58:08 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:

    >In message <>, Greg House
    >< wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 17:34:42 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    >> <_zealand> wrote:

    >>>And yet you still couldn't pass that simple test I set for you.

    >> No I am just not interested in Luny Lunix users ...

    >What did my test have to do with Linux?

    And what test was that..?

    Greg House, Oct 23, 2007
  11. Greg House wrote:
    > On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 19:58:08 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:
    >> In message <>, Greg House
    >> < wrote:
    >>> No I am just not interested in Luny Lunix users ...

    >> What did my test have to do with Linux?

    > And what test was that..?

    Just a small memory test ...

    Mark Robinson, Oct 23, 2007
  12. In message <>, Greg House

    <http://groups.google.co.nz/group/nz.comp/msg/ecfcd1ad73c96a1c>

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 23, 2007
  13. Greg House

    Greg House Guest

    On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 22:35:39 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:

    >In message <>, Greg House
    >< wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 19:58:08 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    >> <_zealand> wrote:

    >>>What did my test have to do with Linux?

    >> And what test was that..?

    ><http://groups.google.co.nz/group/nz.comp/msg/ecfcd1ad73c96a1c>

    You are Not even on the subject, I am referring to Main Frame and Mini Computers not PC stuff.

    Greg House, Oct 23, 2007
  14. Greg House

    sam Guest

    Greg House wrote:
    > On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 22:35:39 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:
    >
    >> In message <>, Greg House
    >> < wrote:

    >>> And what test was that..?

    >> <http://groups.google.co.nz/group/nz.comp/msg/ecfcd1ad73c96a1c>

    > You are Not even on the subject, I am referring to Main Frame and Mini Computers not PC stuff.

    Those old bricks are just landfill these days, you are 30 years behind
    the times woger.

    sam, Oct 23, 2007
  15. In message <>, Greg House
    < wrote:

    > On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 22:35:39 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    > <_zealand> wrote:
    >
    >>In message <>, Greg House
    >>< wrote:

    >>> And what test was that..?

    >><http://groups.google.co.nz/group/nz.comp/msg/ecfcd1ad73c96a1c>

    > You are Not even on the subject, I am referring to Main Frame and Mini
    > Computers not PC stuff.

    OK then, what's the difference between the IBM mainframe MVC and MVCL
    instructions?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 24, 2007
  16. Greg House

    Jerry Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <>, Greg House
    > < wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 22:35:39 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    >> <_zealand> wrote:

    >>> <http://groups.google.co.nz/group/nz.comp/msg/ecfcd1ad73c96a1c>

    >> You are Not even on the subject, I am referring to Main Frame and Mini
    >> Computers not PC stuff.

    > OK then, what's the difference between the IBM mainframe MVC and MVCL
    > instructions?

    I don't believe Roger ever worked on IBM computers. Try ICL

    He won't know that one is an SS instruction and the other an RR

    Jerry, Oct 24, 2007