A SATA purchase and install question

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Jer, Nov 23, 2005.

  1. Jer

    Jer Guest

    I currently use two ultra 133 IDE hard drives. Thinking about installing a
    SATA.

    Will I can enough in performance to warrant spending the money on a SATA
    hard drive, I really don't need another HD but if performance will be
    significantly improved it may be worth while. MY Mobo supports SATA.

    I see SATA come in SATA100, SATA150, and SATA300 versions. My MoBo manual
    doesn't say which version to use, does it make a difference? Is one
    manufacturer preferable to another?

    I see I can purchase a retail version at CompUSA, Best Bye, etc or a OEM
    version a lot less expensive at one of the catalog discount e.g. Tiger
    Direct. Is there an advantage to the OEM vs. "retail". What about drivers,
    instructions, etc.

    If go with a SATA I assume I can use it as my boot device, my BIOS seems to
    indicate I can, but what is the best way to "move my old OS/Programs, etc.
    from "old"IDE HD to new SATA HD, or must I format the SATA and re-install
    everything? Are there any special tricks or things I need to be aware of if
    I go the SATA route and want to use my old HDs as storage.

    Any advice or is it not worth the trouble if I'm not having issues with my
    IDE HDs.
    Jer, Nov 23, 2005

  2. Jer

    old man Guest

    Perfomance may depend on what your using your PC for.
    ie vid editing/cad you 'may' notice a slight increase, office apps unlikely.
    A win installation on a sata drive may require a repair install, using the
    F6 option to install sata/raid drivers from a floppy. These drivers are
    obtainable from your mobo.manu web site, not the hd.manu. Sata 150 etc are
    all backward compatible. Your mobo manual should show which controler
    version is used.
    So if your happy with your setup I would suggest not bothering.

    old man, Nov 23, 2005

  3. Jer

    Jer Guest

    Thank you

    Jer, Nov 23, 2005
  4. Jer

    Jimmy Dean Guest

    On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 03:10:19 -0600, "Jer" <>
    wrote:

    >I currently use two ultra 133 IDE hard drives. Thinking about installing a
    >SATA.
    >
    >Will I can enough in performance to warrant spending the money on a SATA
    >hard drive, I really don't need another HD but if performance will be
    >significantly improved it may be worth while. MY Mobo supports SATA.

    SATA HDs of the same rpm and cache do no better than PATA (parallel
    ATA) HDs.

    2 MB cache is better than 8 MB cache for large files.

    Most HDs these days are 7200 rpm (revs per minute) but you can get a
    few 10000 rpm ones which really fly - they are quite costly eg. about
    the same for a 80 GB 10000 rpm as for a 200 GB 7200 rpm

    jd
    Jimmy Dean, Nov 23, 2005