    A router runs under Windows XP.
    After an upgrade to Windows Vista he is running like before?

    TIA

    Peter Wagner, Jan 30, 2008

  2. Peter Wagner

    Jim Guest

    "Peter Wagner" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi
    >
    > A router runs under Windows XP.
    > After an upgrade to Windows Vista he is running like before?
    >
    > TIA

    Actually routers run under their own operating system. However, your
    question would be
    "Is it necessary to make changes to the router setup when using it with a
    Vista computer?"
    Jim

    Jim, Jan 30, 2008

  3. Hi
    Most Routers would run as before.
    Some Routers needs firmware upgrade, very few Not compatible at all with
    Vista.
    Best is to log to the Router's support and check.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jan 31, 2008
  4. Peter Wagner

    Peter Wagner Guest

    Jack (MVP-Networking). wrote:
    > Hi
    > Most Routers would run as before.
    > Some Routers needs firmware upgrade, very few Not compatible at all
    > with Vista.
    > Best is to log to the Router's support and check.
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Hi Jack

    Thank you for your answer.

    I'll buy a Linksys Router with open source Firmware.

    Peter Wagner, Feb 2, 2008
  5. Peter Wagner

    Peter Wagner Guest

    Jim wrote:
    > "Peter Wagner" <> wrote in message

    > Actually routers run under their own operating system. However, your
    > question would be
    > "Is it necessary to make changes to the router setup when using it
    > with a Vista computer?"
    > Jim

    Thank you for your answer.

    Peter Wagner, Feb 2, 2008
  6. Peter Wagner

    > Jack (MVP-Networking). wrote:
    >> Hi
    >> Most Routers would run as before.
    >> Some Routers needs firmware upgrade, very few Not compatible at all
    >> with Vista.
    >> Best is to log to the Router's support and check.
    >> Jack (MVP-Networking).

    > Hi Jack
    >
    > Thank you for your answer.
    >
    > I'll buy a Linksys Router with open source Firmware.

    Updates to the Linksys Routers are free. It is better to get updates for
    things
    like this from the manufacturer anyway.

    Jim

    Jim, Feb 2, 2008
  7. Peter Wagner

    Peter Wagner Guest

    Jim wrote:
    > "Peter Wagner" <> wrote in message
    >> Jack (MVP-Networking). wrote:
    >>
    >> I'll buy a Linksys Router with open source Firmware.

    > Updates to the Linksys Routers are free. It is better to get updates
    > for things
    > like this from the manufacturer anyway.
    >
    > Jim

    You doesn't find open source Firmware a good thing?

    I think that manufacturer doesn't supports older Routers.
    The most Routers for 802.11g are created at 2004.

    Peter Wagner, Feb 3, 2008
  8. Peter Wagner

    > Jim wrote:
    >> "Peter Wagner" <> wrote in message
    >>> Jack (MVP-Networking). wrote:
    >>>
    >>> I'll buy a Linksys Router with open source Firmware.

    >> Updates to the Linksys Routers are free. It is better to get updates
    >> for things
    >> like this from the manufacturer anyway.
    >>
    >> Jim

    > You doesn't find open source Firmware a good thing?

    No

    > I think that manufacturer doesn't supports older Routers.
    > The most Routers for 802.11g are created at 2004.

    And most of them are still running with no updates at all.
    Jim

    Jim, Feb 3, 2008
  9. Hi
    Take into consideration the Version of the Linksys WRT54G
    Some versions Flash only with partial 3rd party software, some do not Flash
    at all.
    Actually this might be a better inexpensive solution, and it can be flashed
    with DD-WRT too.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320023
    http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Installation
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Feb 3, 2008
  10. Peter Wagner

    Peter Wagner Guest

    Jim wrote:
    > "Peter Wagner" <> wrote in message

    >> I think that manufacturer doesn't supports older Routers.
    >> The most Routers for 802.11g are created at 2004.

    > And most of them are still running with no updates at all.
    > Jim

    What's about the Linksys WRT54GL?

    Peter Wagner, Feb 4, 2008
  11. Peter Wagner

    Peter Wagner Guest

    Jack (MVP-Networking). wrote:

    Hi

    Thank you for your answer and links.

    I'll buy a Linksys WRT54GL.
    What's about it?

    Is DD-WRT better than Tomato?

    Wireless gurus in German NG recommends/buys WRT54GL's no ASUS
    WL-520gU's.

    Peter Wagner, Feb 4, 2008
  12. Peter Wagner

    > Jim wrote:
    >> "Peter Wagner" <> wrote in message

    >>> I think that manufacturer doesn't supports older Routers.
    >>> The most Routers for 802.11g are created at 2004.

    >> And most of them are still running with no updates at all.
    >> Jim

    > What's about the Linksys WRT54GL?

    Mine is a WRT54GS. Thus, I have no information about the WRT54GL.
    My router has never needed an update. As I am a fan of the principle of
    "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", it is still running with the as delivered
    firmware.
    Jim

    Jim, Feb 4, 2008
  13. Peter Wagner

    Peter Wagner Guest

    Jim wrote:
    > "Peter Wagner" <> wrote in message
    >> Jim wrote:

    >> What's about the Linksys WRT54GL?

    > Mine is a WRT54GS. Thus, I have no information about the WRT54GL.
    > My router has never needed an update. As I am a fan of the principle
    > of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", it is still running with the as
    > delivered firmware.
    > Jim

    You've changed the OS?
    Perhaps from WinXP to Win Vista w/o update the Firmware of your
    WRT54GS?

    Peter Wagner, Feb 4, 2008