A real stumper.

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by DH, Sep 21, 2006.

  1. DH

    DH Guest

    Thanks in advance.

    I am stumped. I have a customer with an old W98SE computer. I say, "don't
    pay me, just buy a new computer". She won't hear of it.

    Okay the problem. When the computer gets to the windows98 desktop, there is
    not a pointer.

    Things that I tried:

    Installed a USB mouse
    Tried two different mouse drivers
    Checked mouse settings in the control panel

    I can go into safe mode and the mouse works. I have stopped all startup
    programs via msconfig/startup. I have scanned for a virus. Also, when the
    screen saver engages, a mouse movement will not stop the saver. An enter
    key will.

    While in safe mode, I uninstalled all unneccisary programs.

    Any suggestions would be appreciated,

    Dave H.
    DH, Sep 21, 2006

  2. DH

    Sjouke Burry Guest

    DH wrote:
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > I am stumped. I have a customer with an old W98SE computer. I say, "don't
    > pay me, just buy a new computer". She won't hear of it.
    >
    > Okay the problem. When the computer gets to the windows98 desktop, there is
    > not a pointer.
    >
    > Things that I tried:
    >
    > Installed a USB mouse
    > Tried two different mouse drivers
    > Checked mouse settings in the control panel
    >

    > I can go into safe mode and the mouse works. I have stopped all startup
    > programs via msconfig/startup. I have scanned for a virus. Also, when the
    > screen saver engages, a mouse movement will not stop the saver. An enter
    > key will.
    >
    > While in safe mode, I uninstalled all unneccisary programs.
    >
    > Any suggestions would be appreciated,
    >
    > Dave H.

    Put the DOSlevel cutemouse.com(google)
    in autoexec.bat.
    Win98 ought to use that external driver.
    Sjouke Burry, Sep 21, 2006

  3. DH

    DH Guest

    "DH" <(axe the x's)> wrote in message
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > I am stumped. I have a customer with an old W98SE computer. I say,
    > "don't pay me, just buy a new computer". She won't hear of it.
    >
    > Okay the problem. When the computer gets to the windows98 desktop, there
    > is not a pointer.
    >
    > Things that I tried:
    >
    > Installed a USB mouse
    > Tried two different mouse drivers
    > Checked mouse settings in the control panel
    >

    > I can go into safe mode and the mouse works. I have stopped all startup
    > programs via msconfig/startup. I have scanned for a virus. Also, when
    > the screen saver engages, a mouse movement will not stop the saver. An
    > enter key will.
    >
    > While in safe mode, I uninstalled all unneccisary programs.
    >
    > Any suggestions would be appreciated,
    >
    > Dave H.

    Never mind! I found it. It turned out to be a corrupted win.ini file

    Dave H.
    DH, Sep 21, 2006