A range of Faulty Sony/Canon Cameras..

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by XP, Oct 9, 2005.

  1. XP

    XP Guest

    XP, Oct 9, 2005

  2. XP

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Sun, 09 Oct 2005 20:58:12 +1300, XP
    <> wrote:

    >Seems like there are some DUD Sony CCD around, it also Affects Canon and any
    >other cameras that have use some Sony CCD Devises.
    >

    >http://www.dpreview.com/news/0510/05100701sony_ccds.asp
    >

    >http://www.dpreview.com/news/0510/05100602canon_ccdproblem.asp
    >

    >Yes I have a F717 that is on the list but what time limit have we got..?
    >
    >Say if it fails some years later..

    I'm sure you'll have moved on to something else before that happens Roger.

    Craig Shore, Oct 10, 2005

  3. XP

    Andrew Guest

    XP wrote:

    > Seems like there are some DUD Sony CCD around, it also Affects Canon and any
    > other cameras that have use some Sony CCD Devises.
    >

    > http://www.dpreview.com/news/0510/05100701sony_ccds.asp
    >

    > http://www.dpreview.com/news/0510/05100602canon_ccdproblem.asp
    >

    > Yes I have a F717 that is on the list but what time limit have we got..?
    >
    > Say if it fails some years later..
    >
    > Does any one know what is going on here about it..

    hrm... my cannon camera had a period where the lcd was a bit funny

    Its out of warranty... but if there is a recall, do you think my camera
    could repaired at thier cost?

    Andrew, Oct 10, 2005
  4. XP

    XP Guest

    On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 14:35:45 +1300, Craig Shore <>
    wrote:

    >On Sun, 09 Oct 2005 20:58:12 +1300, XP
    ><> wrote:
    >

    >>Seems like there are some DUD Sony CCD around, it also Affects Canon and any
    >>other cameras that have use some Sony CCD Devises.
    >>

    >>http://www.dpreview.com/news/0510/05100701sony_ccds.asp
    >>

    >>http://www.dpreview.com/news/0510/05100602canon_ccdproblem.asp
    >>

    >>Yes I have a F717 that is on the list but what time limit have we got..?
    >>
    >>Say if it fails some years later..

    >I'm sure you'll have moved on to something else before that happens Roger.

    I rang Sony here they did not have a Clue..

    XP, Oct 10, 2005
  5. XP

    XP Guest

    On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 18:55:23 +1300, Andrew <> wrote:

    >XP wrote:
    >>

    >> Seems like there are some DUD Sony CCD around, it also Affects Canon and any
    >> other cameras that have use some Sony CCD Devises.
    >>

    >> http://www.dpreview.com/news/0510/05100701sony_ccds.asp
    >>

    >> http://www.dpreview.com/news/0510/05100602canon_ccdproblem.asp
    >>

    >> Yes I have a F717 that is on the list but what time limit have we got..?
    >>
    >> Say if it fails some years later..
    >>
    >> Does any one know what is going on here about it..
    >>

    >hrm... my cannon camera had a period where the lcd was a bit funny
    >
    >Its out of warranty... but if there is a recall, do you think my camera
    >could repaired at thier cost?

    The Warrantee period has no bearing on it as its a manufacturing Fault they
    must pay to fix it.

    Do not post it your self but take it to the Shop, I seem many comments that
    the Camera was dropped and the can't repair it..

    Is your Camera on this list..?

    Affected Models

    The CCDs in question are used in the following models.

    Digital Cameras

    PowerShot A60, PowerShot A70, PowerShot A75, PowerShot A300, PowerShot A310,
    Digital IXUS V3, Digital IXUS II, Digital IXUS IIs

    Digital Video Cameras

    MV600i, MV630i, MV650i, MV700i, MV730i, MV750i, MV5i, MV5i MC, MV6i MC
    ZR60, ZR65 MC, ZR70 MC, ZR80, ZR85, ZR90, Elura 40 MC, Elura 50

    The Malfunction

    Among the CCDs used in the affected products listed above, it has been
    confirmed that, especially under high-temperature/high-humidity environments,
    the internal wiring may come undone in some places.

    If this defect occurs, the signal is not output from the CCD correctly when in
    shooting mode, which results in symptoms like the following in captured
    images. These symptoms can be confirmed on the LCD monitor. The same symptoms
    may also occur in recorded images.

    Images do not appear
    Images appear distorted
    Canon’s Response

    With apologies for the inconvenience involved, we ask that users who have
    confirmed these symptoms contact the nearest Canon Service Center. Free
    repairs will be made for affected products in cases where it has been
    confirmed that the internal CCD wiring has come undone in some places.

    We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused by this issue. We strive
    to make even greater efforts in our quality control to provide products that
    our customers can use with confidence. We hope that these efforts will earn
    your continued patronage.

    XP, Oct 10, 2005
  6. XP

    Andrew Guest

    XP wrote:
    > On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 18:55:23 +1300, Andrew <> wrote:
    >

    >>XP wrote:
    >>

    >>>Seems like there are some DUD Sony CCD around, it also Affects Canon and any
    >>>other cameras that have use some Sony CCD Devises.
    >>>

    >>>http://www.dpreview.com/news/0510/05100701sony_ccds.asp
    >>>

    >>>http://www.dpreview.com/news/0510/05100602canon_ccdproblem.asp
    >>>

    >>>Yes I have a F717 that is on the list but what time limit have we got..?
    >>>
    >>>Say if it fails some years later..
    >>>
    >>>Does any one know what is going on here about it..
    >>>

    >>hrm... my cannon camera had a period where the lcd was a bit funny
    >>
    >>Its out of warranty... but if there is a recall, do you think my camera
    >>could repaired at thier cost?

    > The Warrantee period has no bearing on it as its a manufacturing Fault they
    > must pay to fix it.
    >
    > Do not post it your self but take it to the Shop, I seem many comments that
    > the Camera was dropped and the can't repair it..
    >

    > Is your Camera on this list..?
    >

    > Affected Models
    >
    > The CCDs in question are used in the following models.
    >
    > Digital Cameras
    >
    > PowerShot A60, PowerShot A70, PowerShot A75, PowerShot A300, PowerShot A310,
    > Digital IXUS V3, Digital IXUS II, Digital IXUS IIs
    >
    > Digital Video Cameras
    >
    > MV600i, MV630i, MV650i, MV700i, MV730i, MV750i, MV5i, MV5i MC, MV6i MC
    > ZR60, ZR65 MC, ZR70 MC, ZR80, ZR85, ZR90, Elura 40 MC, Elura 50
    >
    > The Malfunction
    >
    > Among the CCDs used in the affected products listed above, it has been
    > confirmed that, especially under high-temperature/high-humidity environments,
    > the internal wiring may come undone in some places.
    >
    > If this defect occurs, the signal is not output from the CCD correctly when in
    > shooting mode, which results in symptoms like the following in captured
    > images. These symptoms can be confirmed on the LCD monitor. The same symptoms
    > may also occur in recorded images.
    >
    > Images do not appear
    > Images appear distorted
    > Canon’s Response
    >
    > With apologies for the inconvenience involved, we ask that users who have
    > confirmed these symptoms contact the nearest Canon Service Center. Free
    > repairs will be made for affected products in cases where it has been
    > confirmed that the internal CCD wiring has come undone in some places.
    >
    > We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused by this issue. We strive
    > to make even greater efforts in our quality control to provide products that
    > our customers can use with confidence. We hope that these efforts will earn
    > your continued patronage.

    Unfortnatly it was purchased in auckland - im in wellington

    My camera is the A70 which is on the list. I also have a friend that has
    a canon A60 and thiers started doing the same thing

    Mine has since stopped doing that... but it sounds like what dpreview
    described

    Andrew, Oct 10, 2005
  7. XP

    XP Guest

    On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 07:49:45 +1300, Andrew <> wrote:

    >XP wrote:

    >Unfortnatly it was purchased in auckland - im in wellington
    >
    >My camera is the A70 which is on the list. I also have a friend that has
    >a canon A60 and thiers started doing the same thing
    >
    >Mine has since stopped doing that... but it sounds like what dpreview
    >described

    Simple Ring Canon and ask them were you can drop it off, but get a Receipt,
    may be one of the Wellington Shops etc..

    XP, Oct 10, 2005
  8. XP

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Andrew wrote:

    <snip>

    > My camera is the A70 which is on the list. I also have a friend that
    > has a canon A60 and thiers started doing the same thing
    >
    > Mine has since stopped doing that... but it sounds like what dpreview
    > described

    Oh dear! More to be worried about. I, too, have an A70. Fine so far......
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Oct 11, 2005
  9. XP

    Richard Guest

    XP wrote:

    > I rang Sony here they did not have a Clue..

    That sums them up on pretty much everything however ;)

    Richard, Oct 11, 2005
  10. XP

    Andrew Guest

    XP wrote:
    > On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 07:49:45 +1300, Andrew <> wrote:
    >

    >>XP wrote:

    >>Unfortnatly it was purchased in auckland - im in wellington
    >>
    >>My camera is the A70 which is on the list. I also have a friend that has
    >>a canon A60 and thiers started doing the same thing
    >>
    >>Mine has since stopped doing that... but it sounds like what dpreview
    >>described

    > Simple Ring Canon and ask them were you can drop it off, but get a Receipt,
    > may be one of the Wellington Shops etc..

    I just gave canon a call, They are well aware of it and said i just need
    to send our camera in to them and they will repair it with no charges

    - sounds like more then what sony knows

    I didnt even have to describe the problem.. they just knew it

    Andrew, Oct 11, 2005
  11. XP

    XP Guest

    On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 16:04:25 +1300, Andrew <> wrote:

    >XP wrote:

    >>>Unfortnatly it was purchased in auckland - im in wellington
    >>>
    >>>My camera is the A70 which is on the list. I also have a friend that has
    >>>a canon A60 and thiers started doing the same thing
    >>>
    >>>Mine has since stopped doing that... but it sounds like what dpreview
    >>>described

    >> Simple Ring Canon and ask them were you can drop it off, but get a Receipt,
    >> may be one of the Wellington Shops etc..
    >>

    >I just gave canon a call, They are well aware of it and said i just need
    >to send our camera in to them and they will repair it with no charges
    >
    >- sounds like more then what sony knows
    >
    >I didnt even have to describe the problem.. they just knew it

    Make sure you pack it well and send by Courier or Recorded delivery etc..

    XP, Oct 11, 2005
  12. XP

    Andrew Guest

    XP wrote:
    > On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 16:04:25 +1300, Andrew <> wrote:
    >

    >>XP wrote:

    >>>Simple Ring Canon and ask them were you can drop it off, but get a Receipt,
    >>>may be one of the Wellington Shops etc..
    >>>

    >>I just gave canon a call, They are well aware of it and said i just need
    >>to send our camera in to them and they will repair it with no charges
    >>
    >>- sounds like more then what sony knows
    >>
    >>I didnt even have to describe the problem.. they just knew it

    > Make sure you pack it well and send by Courier or Recorded delivery etc..

    most definatly...

    Its not showing the symptoms now though.. they said they would charge me
    if its not in fact that problem

    Andrew, Oct 11, 2005