    studying now and am curious about how much of the test addresses those
    subjects. Thanks!

    LM

    Joe Mamma, Jun 6, 2004

  2. "Joe Mamma" <> wrote in message
    news:Yxxwc.7754$...
    > Hello! For those of you that have recently taken the Core Exam, I would

    like
    > to ask whether you recall questions on desktop monitors or laptops. I'm
    > studying now and am curious about how much of the test addresses those
    > subjects. Thanks!

    As far as CompTIA is concerned, repairing monitors is beyond the scope of
    the A+ test. The only thing you really have to know is that they are very
    dangerous. There are a lot of high voltage capacitors and the anode that
    you could easily electrocute yourself with. Also know the basic
    troubleshooting... (i.e. if you get no video signal, you'd probably try
    another monitor to see if that's the problem..)

    I think the most important part on laptops is to know your PCMCIA card
    types, and their relative size/usual functions.

    Patrick Michael, Jun 6, 2004

  3. Joe Mamma

    Joe Mamma Guest

    Thank you very much!

    JM

    Joe Mamma, Jun 6, 2004
  4. Joe Mamma

    PlazticSoul Guest

    "Barry Watzman" <> wrote in message
    > Re: "I think the most important part on laptops is to know your PCMCIA
    > card types"
    >
    > I find that amusing, because they have not been "PCMCIA" cards since the
    > mid 1990's. They are "PC Cards". PCMCIA is the name of the organization
    > that sets the standards, NOT the name of the cards.

    I remember the term from Mike Meyers' book which is not surprising since he
    likes to teach things from a historical perspective. It doesn't matter
    whether it's "PC Cards" or "PCMCIA cards" since I assume most people will be
    able to make the association when encountering such a question on the exam.
    Sure, you could get poked fun at in the real world by anal techs, but for
    the passing the tests, it's really not a big deal what you know it as.

    PlazticSoul, Jun 9, 2004
  5. Joe Mamma

    PlazticSoul Guest

    "Joe Mamma" <> wrote in message
    > Hello! For those of you that have recently taken the Core Exam, I would
    > like
    > to ask whether you recall questions on desktop monitors or laptops. I'm
    > studying now and am curious about how much of the test addresses those
    > subjects. Thanks!
    >
    > LM

    The only things I bothered to learn for the tests about laptops are the PC
    card types (Type I for flash memory, Type II for I/O, and Type III for hard
    drives) and the battery types (nickel cadmium, nickel metal hyrdide, and
    lithium ion). For monitors, you are not expected to know every detail and
    certainly not expected to know how to fix them, but you should have a basic
    understanding of how they work, both CRT and LCD.

    PlazticSoul, Jun 9, 2004
  6. On Tue, 8 Jun 2004 18:33:21 -0500, "PlazticSoul"
    <> wrote:

    >"Barry Watzman" <> wrote in message
    >> Re: "I think the most important part on laptops is to know your PCMCIA
    >> card types"
    >>
    >> I find that amusing, because they have not been "PCMCIA" cards since the
    >> mid 1990's. They are "PC Cards". PCMCIA is the name of the organization
    >> that sets the standards, NOT the name of the cards.
    >>

    >I remember the term from Mike Meyers' book which is not surprising since he
    >likes to teach things from a historical perspective. It doesn't matter
    >whether it's "PC Cards" or "PCMCIA cards" since I assume most people will be
    >able to make the association when encountering such a question on the exam.
    >Sure, you could get poked fun at in the real world by anal techs, but for
    >the passing the tests, it's really not a big deal what you know it as.

    It's hard for me to remember, but I think "the" test was still
    referring to PCMCIA in 2000. Any recent testees remember, without
    violating the NDA?

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Jun 9, 2004
  7. "Tom MacIntyre" <> wrote in message

    > It's hard for me to remember, but I think "the" test was still
    > referring to PCMCIA in 2000. Any recent testees remember, without
    > violating the NDA?

    I believe it referred to them as "PC Cards", but I can't really remember.
    My use of PCMCIA comes from reading Meyer's book. ;)

    Patrick Michael, Jun 9, 2004