    GUI and the command prompt/line only screen b4 booting windoze? I hear there
    is no true command prompt in windoze 2000? This leaves me confuzzled.

    THANX

    Adam Ross, Sep 5, 2003

  2. Adam Ross

    Michael Guest

    1.) Does Win3.x have a registry, and if so, whats its name and why is
    it
    important. Is it system.ini?

    - Nope, in Win3.x the system.ini is for system settings only. Each
    program stores settings in their own .ini files.

    2.) In Win9x and Win3.x, what are the comparable names of the system
    & boot partitions as in WIN2k? No such?....

    - Those days they weren't using the "system & boot partitions"
    terms. But I still think you can install boot files and windows
    system files to different partitions in win 3.x .

    4.)What is the big difference between a command prompt (run-cmd)
    within the GUI and the command prompt/line only screen b4 booting
    windoze? I hear there is no true command prompt in windoze 2000? This
    leaves me confuzzled.

    - If you boot "command promt only" in Win 95/98 you will actually be
    _emulates_ DOS promt but no actual DOS code is running inder
    NT/2000/XP. For more on it see
    http://www.opentechsupport.net/forums/archive/topic/11492-1.html

    ==============

    Michael, Sep 5, 2003

  3. Re: re:A+ questions

    "Michael" <-spam.invalid> wrote in message
    > 1.) Does Win3.x have a registry, and if so, whats its name and why is
    > it
    > important. Is it system.ini?

    Win 3.x had REG.DAT

    Programs could store various configuration settings in REG.DAT in order to
    keep all the data in one place rather than in .ini or other files in folders
    elsewhere.

    NK

    Nigel Kendrick, Sep 5, 2003