A question regarding Advent Computer Training - MCSE Certificate.

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by D 4 Y v V, Apr 21, 2008.

  1. D 4 Y v V

    D 4 Y v V Guest

    I've recently applied with Advent Computer Training
    (http://www.adventtraining.co.uk/) and I was just curious if anybody knew if
    it was 100% genuine or not?

    There have been recent documentaries on how these companies are just scams
    that give you a certificate that doesn't actually give you much of Career
    chance.

    I'd LOVE to get myself a qualification in IT and what Advent say this would
    be perfect for me, however, after talking with people they're concerned I
    could end up throwing away alot of money for a certificate that wont do me
    much good.

    If this is just a load of rubbish, I know this isn't the place for Careers
    Advice, but how did you go about getting your paper work? Which method is
    most secure and what's best for the long run in life?

    All help is much appreciated.

    Many thanks,
    Paul.
    D 4 Y v V, Apr 21, 2008

  2. D 4 Y v V

    CBIC Guest

    "D 4 Y v V" <> wrote in message
    > I've recently applied with Advent Computer Training
    > (http://www.adventtraining.co.uk/) and I was just curious if anybody knew
    > if
    > it was 100% genuine or not?
    >
    > There have been recent documentaries on how these companies are just scams
    > that give you a certificate that doesn't actually give you much of Career
    > chance.
    >
    > I'd LOVE to get myself a qualification in IT and what Advent say this
    > would
    > be perfect for me, however, after talking with people they're concerned I
    > could end up throwing away alot of money for a certificate that wont do me
    > much good.
    >
    > If this is just a load of rubbish, I know this isn't the place for Careers
    > Advice, but how did you go about getting your paper work? Which method is
    > most secure and what's best for the long run in life?
    >
    > All help is much appreciated.
    >
    > Many thanks,
    > Paul.

    It has been said many times in this group that a cert means nothing without
    experience to back it up. Do you have experience with the product you want
    to be certified in?
    CBIC, Apr 21, 2008

  3. D 4 Y v V

    D 4 Y v V Guest

    Re: A question regarding Advent Computer Training - MCSE Certifica

    I don't actually have a cert yet..

    I want to get into IT, but i'm just gathering my options at the moment to
    see what's cheapest / easiest / the best way.

    Obviously I want to get as much experince as I can, all I currently have is
    What i've read about and put into practise myself being this system i'm using
    now, built myself and solved problems by googling and emplimenting.

    I'm just curious to how most proffesionals got into their Jobs that they
    have now, how they got the certificates and so on.

    Thanks,
    Paul.
    D 4 Y v V, Apr 21, 2008
  4. D 4 Y v V

    CBIC Guest

    "D 4 Y v V" <> wrote in message
    >I don't actually have a cert yet..
    >
    > I want to get into IT, but i'm just gathering my options at the moment to
    > see what's cheapest / easiest / the best way.
    >
    > Obviously I want to get as much experince as I can, all I currently have
    > is
    > What i've read about and put into practise myself being this system i'm
    > using
    > now, built myself and solved problems by googling and emplimenting.
    >
    > I'm just curious to how most proffesionals got into their Jobs that they
    > have now, how they got the certificates and so on.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Paul.

    Regarding your above comment-I would forget about cheapest/easiest. If you
    want to break into this field and do well you will have to earn it. Start at
    the bottom, which in most organizations is helpdesk. Get familiar with
    things and then get your MCDST or A+. You can gain experience to get your
    first IT job by volunteering. I would also highly recommend a college
    degree. Honestly ask yourself why you want to get into IT. Do you like
    working hours that users don't, meaning nights and weekends doing
    network/server upgrades? Do you like to help people? IT is a service
    organization and if you don't like helping people (or faking) you'll burn
    out quickly.
    CBIC, Apr 21, 2008
  5. D 4 Y v V

    kpg Guest

    Re: A question regarding Advent Computer Training - MCSE Certifica

    "CBIC" <> wrote in

    > "D 4 Y v V" <> wrote in message
    >>I don't actually have a cert yet..
    >>
    >> I want to get into IT, but i'm just gathering my options at the
    >> moment to see what's cheapest / easiest / the best way.
    >>
    >> Obviously I want to get as much experince as I can, all I currently
    >> have is
    >> What i've read about and put into practise myself being this system
    >> i'm using
    >> now, built myself and solved problems by googling and emplimenting.
    >>
    >> I'm just curious to how most proffesionals got into their Jobs that
    >> they have now, how they got the certificates and so on.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Paul.

    > Regarding your above comment-I would forget about cheapest/easiest. If
    > you want to break into this field and do well you will have to earn
    > it. Start at the bottom, which in most organizations is helpdesk. Get
    > familiar with things and then get your MCDST or A+. You can gain
    > experience to get your first IT job by volunteering. I would also
    > highly recommend a college degree. Honestly ask yourself why you want
    > to get into IT. Do you like working hours that users don't, meaning
    > nights and weekends doing network/server upgrades? Do you like to help
    > people? IT is a service organization and if you don't like helping
    > people (or faking) you'll burn out quickly.

    Good advice. I happen to have people skills.
    kpg, Apr 21, 2008
  6. D 4 Y v V

    Jtyc Guest

    Re: A question regarding Advent Computer Training - MCSE Certifica

    > I want to get into IT,

    Don't do it... it's awful...

    if we could just get rid of the users...
    Jtyc, Apr 21, 2008
  7. D 4 Y v V

    Jtyc Guest

    Re: A question regarding Advent Computer Training - MCSE Certifica

    > Good advice. I happen to have people skills.

    What is it you say you do here?
    Jtyc, Apr 21, 2008
  8. D 4 Y v V

    kpg Guest

    Re: A question regarding Advent Computer Training - MCSE Certifica

    "Jtyc" <> wrote in news:Oc9aWW#oIHA.4848
    @TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl:

    >> Good advice. I happen to have people skills.

    > What is it you say you do here?

    I am good at dealing with people. Can't you understand that?
    What the hell is wrong with you people?
    kpg, Apr 21, 2008
  9. D 4 Y v V

    CBIC Guest

    "Jtyc" <> wrote in message
    >> Good advice. I happen to have people skills.

    > What is it you say you do here?

    I'll get back to you in a minute. Got a meeting with the Bobs.
    CBIC, Apr 21, 2008
  10. D 4 Y v V

    Steve Ray Guest

    > I've recently applied with Advent Computer Training
    > (http://www.adventtraining.co.uk/) and I was just curious if anybody knew
    > if
    > it was 100% genuine or not?

    HI

    If you are concerned about the training centre don't use them. It could be
    an expensive waste of money and a bad experience of an IT training centre.
    There are obviously plenty of other MS training organisations here in the
    UK. We send our techies to Xpertise and also to Quanta. Where are you based
    ?

    Check with their customer base, phone your account management team at the
    centre and ask if you can talk to some of the previous delegates who
    attended the courses and get a review from them to find out how the felt the
    course went and what their previous IT experience was before hand

    Hope this helps

    Steve

    Steve Ray, Apr 21, 2008
  11. D 4 Y v V

    D 4 Y v V Guest

    Re: A question regarding Advent Computer Training - MCSE Certifica

    I'm based in the South of the UK, North Dorset to be exact.

    I'm not fussed nor put down by the threats of IT work being bad and alot of
    work ( Hours and such )

    I've got it in my head that I would like to be a Sytems Enginner ( general
    build, repairs and maintainance ) So that's where I will get to.

    All I ask is where the best Place to go to get started is :)

    Thanks,
    Paul.
    D 4 Y v V, Apr 21, 2008
  12. D 4 Y v V

    PAJ Guest

    Re: A question regarding Advent Computer Training - MCSE Certifica

    On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 13:10:01 -0700, D 4 Y v V
    <> wrote:

    >I'm based in the South of the UK, North Dorset to be exact.
    >
    >I'm not fussed nor put down by the threats of IT work being bad and alot of
    >work ( Hours and such )
    >
    >I've got it in my head that I would like to be a Sytems Enginner ( general
    >build, repairs and maintainance ) So that's where I will get to.

    I have a feeling your definition of a 'Systems Engineer' is different to
    the MS definition.

    Maybe you mean a Desktop Support Technician or a Computer/PC Repair
    Technician?
    PAJ, Apr 21, 2008
  13. D 4 Y v V

    Steve Ray Guest

    Re: A question regarding Advent Computer Training - MCSE Certifica

    > I have a feeling your definition of a 'Systems Engineer' is different to
    > the MS definition.
    >
    > Maybe you mean a Desktop Support Technician or a Computer/PC Repair
    > Technician?

    And that comments helps how ?

    This is a guy who is trying to get into IT and does not need to be confused
    with semantics, maybe a bit of help would be good so that he no longer feels
    that IT is full of people who are unable to associate with people who don't
    have the same IT skills as them

    D 4 Y v V: This might be a quick way in way in for you and cheaper than a
    MCP course, its local college near you

    http://www.thecollege.co.uk/courses/?cid=22294

    Steve

    Steve Ray, Apr 21, 2008
  14. D 4 Y v V

    kpg Guest

    Re: A question regarding Advent Computer Training - MCSE Certifica

    "Steve Ray" <> wrote in

    > This is a guy who is trying to get into IT and does not need to be
    > confused with semantics, maybe a bit of help would be good so that he
    > no longer feels that IT is full of people who are unable to associate
    > with people who don't have the same IT skills as them

    I'm in IT and you just confused the heck out of me.
    kpg, Apr 21, 2008
  15. D 4 Y v V

    PAJ Guest

    On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 21:08:44 GMT, "Steve Ray" <> wrote:

    >> I have a feeling your definition of a 'Systems Engineer' is different to
    >> the MS definition.
    >>
    >> Maybe you mean a Desktop Support Technician or a Computer/PC Repair
    >> Technician?

    >And that comments helps how ?

    Because he is posting in an MCSE newsgroup, you moron.
    Like you he needs to learn the simple things first!
    PAJ, Apr 21, 2008
  16. D 4 Y v V

    Jtyc Guest

    Re: A question regarding Advent Computer Training - MCSE Certifica

    > Because he is posting in an MCSE newsgroup, you moron.

    get brain moran!
    Jtyc, Apr 21, 2008
  17. D 4 Y v V

    Bill Hileman Guest

    "Jtyc" <> wrote in message
    >> Because he is posting in an MCSE newsgroup, you moron.

    > get brain moran!

    Ahem... that should be "brane" you idot.
    Bill Hileman, Apr 21, 2008
  18. D 4 Y v V

    Bill Hileman Guest

    "Steve Ray" <> wrote in message
    >> I have a feeling your definition of a 'Systems Engineer' is different to
    >> the MS definition.
    >>
    >> Maybe you mean a Desktop Support Technician or a Computer/PC Repair
    >> Technician?

    > And that comments helps how ?
    >
    > This is a guy who is trying to get into IT and does not need to be
    > confused with semantics, maybe a bit of help would be good so that he no
    > longer feels that IT is full of people who are unable to associate with
    > people who don't have the same IT skills as them
    >
    > D 4 Y v V: This might be a quick way in way in for you and cheaper than a
    > MCP course, its local college near you
    >
    > http://www.thecollege.co.uk/courses/?cid=22294
    >
    > Steve
    >

    > "PAJ" <> wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 13:10:01 -0700, D 4 Y v V
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I'm based in the South of the UK, North Dorset to be exact.
    >>>
    >>>I'm not fussed nor put down by the threats of IT work being bad and alot
    >>>of
    >>>work ( Hours and such )
    >>>
    >>>I've got it in my head that I would like to be a Sytems Enginner (
    >>>general
    >>>build, repairs and maintainance ) So that's where I will get to.

    >> I have a feeling your definition of a 'Systems Engineer' is different to
    >> the MS definition.
    >>
    >> Maybe you mean a Desktop Support Technician or a Computer/PC Repair
    >> Technician?

    Oh, yay! Another lurker with a stick up his butt!
    Bill Hileman, Apr 21, 2008
  19. D 4 Y v V

    Jtyc Guest

    Re: A question regarding Advent Computer Training - MCSE Certifica

    > Ahem... that should be "brane" you idot.

    that's ridikulus... who brought quantus mechanics into the conversation??
    Jtyc, Apr 21, 2008
  20. Re: A question regarding Advent Computer Training - MCSE Certifica

    "Steve Ray" <> wrote in message

    > > I have a feeling your definition of a 'Systems Engineer' is different to
    > > the MS definition.
    > >
    > > Maybe you mean a Desktop Support Technician or a Computer/PC Repair
    > > Technician?

    > And that comments helps how ?
    >
    > This is a guy who is trying to get into IT and does not need to be confused
    > with semantics, maybe a bit of help would be good so that he no longer feels
    > that IT is full of people who are unable to associate with people who don't
    > have the same IT skills as them
    >
    > D 4 Y v V: This might be a quick way in way in for you and cheaper than a
    > MCP course, its local college near you
    >
    > http://www.thecollege.co.uk/courses/?cid=22294
    >
    > Steve
    >

    > "PAJ" <> wrote in message
    > > On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 13:10:01 -0700, D 4 Y v V
    > > <> wrote:
    > >
    > >>I'm based in the South of the UK, North Dorset to be exact.
    > >>
    > >>I'm not fussed nor put down by the threats of IT work being bad and alot
    > >>of
    > >>work ( Hours and such )
    > >>
    > >>I've got it in my head that I would like to be a Sytems Enginner ( general
    > >>build, repairs and maintainance ) So that's where I will get to.

    > > I have a feeling your definition of a 'Systems Engineer' is different to
    > > the MS definition.
    > >
    > > Maybe you mean a Desktop Support Technician or a Computer/PC Repair
    > > Technician?

    Yeah that's cheap... And PAJ had a valid comment. There is a difference
    between a System Engineer and DST. Just like there is a difference
    between a surgeon and a psychiatrist.

    Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard, Inc.], Apr 22, 2008