    Thanks in advance

    ~~ ANNIE ~~
    , Sep 22, 2007

  2. <> skrev i melding
    news:...
    > Right now I have dial-up and am thinking of getting DSL. I currently
    > have a 12ft. standard phone cord going from my phone jack to my PC.
    >
    > Now... I understand DSL service is through your phone lines. If I
    > did go to DSL would I have to change the cord or would this same cord
    > just go from the wall to the DSL modem instead of my PC.
    >
    > With my setup... I really need to keep the PC right where it is.
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > ~~ ANNIE ~~

    I can offer you a solution to this problem.

    Here in the city of Trondheim, Norway, rules and the rule making process is
    regarded as a constitutional matter (above or equal to the law).

    There is a general favorization towards women in their works (like you). I
    assume you earn a lot of money.

    Also the decision making process here is regarded as "final". There is no
    room for conflict - the closer you get to the top, the more true this is.

    Why do you post this shit ?

    Knut Arvid Keilen, Sep 22, 2007

  3. lobo Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Right now I have dial-up and am thinking of getting DSL. I currently
    > have a 12ft. standard phone cord going from my phone jack to my PC.
    >
    > Now... I understand DSL service is through your phone lines. If I
    > did go to DSL would I have to change the cord or would this same cord
    > just go from the wall to the DSL modem instead of my PC.
    >
    > With my setup... I really need to keep the PC right where it is.
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > ~~ ANNIE ~~

    Same phone line that plugs into the DSL modem as your dial up. Then you have
    an Ethernet cable from the DSL to your Ethernet card on your computer and
    then you should be good to go after some setup.
    Good Luck!
    lobo, Sep 22, 2007
  4. PeeCee Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Right now I have dial-up and am thinking of getting DSL. I currently
    > have a 12ft. standard phone cord going from my phone jack to my PC.
    >
    > Now... I understand DSL service is through your phone lines. If I
    > did go to DSL would I have to change the cord or would this same cord
    > just go from the wall to the DSL modem instead of my PC.
    >
    > With my setup... I really need to keep the PC right where it is.
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > ~~ ANNIE ~~

    Annie

    Idealy place the DSL modem by your phone outlet and then run Ethernet cable
    the 12 feet to the computer.

    The reason long extension cords are frowned upon is because the wire pair
    inside the cable is usually just run in parallel whereas the wall wiring
    (and Ethernet) is twisted pair. Twisted pair is much more immune to
    electrical interference than pairs with the wire run in parallel.
    Given ADSL is stretching the phone lines capability way beyond what they
    were designed for, it is simply best practice to minimise potential trouble
    spots.

    Having said that just try it you 'may' get away with it.

    Paul.
    PeeCee, Sep 22, 2007
  5. On Sep 21, 6:21 pm, wrote:
    > Right now I have dial-up and am thinking of getting DSL. I currently
    > have a 12ft. standard phone cord going from my phone jack to my PC.

    DSL modems are packed with a high-quality RJ14 phone cord from the
    wall jack to the DSL modem, so no problem.

    > Now... I understand DSL service is through your phone lines. If I
    > did go to DSL would I have to change the cord or would this same cord
    > just go from the wall to the DSL modem instead of my PC.
    >
    > With my setup... I really need to keep the PC right where it is.

    You will, however, need to put 'DSL Filters' on all the other phones &
    phone devices (like some DVRs) in the house.

    John Bartley K7AAY, Sep 22, 2007
  6. DemoDisk Guest

    "PeeCee" <> wrote in message
    > Annie
    >
    > Idealy place the DSL modem by your phone outlet and then run Ethernet

    cable
    > the 12 feet to the computer.
    >
    > The reason long extension cords are frowned upon is because the wire

    pair
    > inside the cable is usually just run in parallel whereas the wall

    wiring
    > (and Ethernet) is twisted pair. Twisted pair is much more immune to
    > electrical interference than pairs with the wire run in parallel.
    > Given ADSL is stretching the phone lines capability way beyond what

    they
    > were designed for, it is simply best practice to minimise potential

    trouble
    > spots.
    >
    > Having said that just try it you 'may' get away with it.
    >
    > Paul.

    H'lo, Paul;

    Is it possible to get a DSL setup for Win98SE? We tried an offer from
    BellSouth months ago and the setup failed -- their tech support said --
    because it required Windows XP! They refunded our money and we sent
    back their modem package.

    DSL has been around a lot longer than XP.

    JPM
    DemoDisk, Sep 22, 2007
  7. old man Guest

    Probably there software would only run on a winnt based sys
    You can manually setup

    old man, Sep 22, 2007
  8. PeeCee Guest

    "DemoDisk" <> wrote in message

    > "PeeCee" <> wrote in message
    >> Annie
    >>
    >> Idealy place the DSL modem by your phone outlet and then run Ethernet

    > cable
    >> the 12 feet to the computer.
    >>
    >> The reason long extension cords are frowned upon is because the wire

    > pair
    >> inside the cable is usually just run in parallel whereas the wall

    > wiring
    >> (and Ethernet) is twisted pair. Twisted pair is much more immune to
    >> electrical interference than pairs with the wire run in parallel.
    >> Given ADSL is stretching the phone lines capability way beyond what

    > they
    >> were designed for, it is simply best practice to minimise potential

    > trouble
    >> spots.
    >>
    >> Having said that just try it you 'may' get away with it.
    >>
    >> Paul.

    > H'lo, Paul;
    >
    > Is it possible to get a DSL setup for Win98SE? We tried an offer from
    > BellSouth months ago and the setup failed -- their tech support said --
    > because it required Windows XP! They refunded our money and we sent
    > back their modem package.
    >
    > DSL has been around a lot longer than XP.
    >
    > JPM

    JPM

    Yes, very definately so, do it all the time.
    Windows 98, Windows 95 can use an DSL Internet connection.
    (& if I remember correctly even Windows 3.11)

    I don't know Bell South's package but my reaction is they are simply bull
    dusting you.
    Though as old man points out it's probably their automatic setup software
    that is only XP compatible & their help desk jockeys are probably not
    trained beyond that.
    All you need to configure most Modems is a Web Browser and the TCP/IP
    networking enabled on your Compter.

    In the documentation that came with the modem should be the TCP/IP address
    and User/password needed to access your modems built in web page.
    Type the TCP/IP address into the browsers address bar (eg
    http://192.168.1.1) press enter and away you go.
    (Remember all you have to achieve is to enter your ISP provided username and
    password into the Modems memory because it is the broadband modem that logs
    onto the ISP. All your computer knows is that to get any web page or email
    server it only has to ask the modem for it and the modem go gets it)

    Can't give you more precise details as modems vary a lot how they are set
    up, just read the documentation that came with it.

    Best
    Paul.
    PeeCee, Sep 22, 2007
  9. Alfred Guest

    On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 00:43:30 -0500, "DemoDisk" <>
    wrote:

    >"PeeCee" <> wrote in message
    >> Annie
    >>
    >> Idealy place the DSL modem by your phone outlet and then run Ethernet

    >cable
    >> the 12 feet to the computer.
    >>
    >> The reason long extension cords are frowned upon is because the wire

    >pair
    >> inside the cable is usually just run in parallel whereas the wall

    >wiring
    >> (and Ethernet) is twisted pair. Twisted pair is much more immune to
    >> electrical interference than pairs with the wire run in parallel.
    >> Given ADSL is stretching the phone lines capability way beyond what

    >they
    >> were designed for, it is simply best practice to minimise potential

    >trouble
    >> spots.
    >>
    >> Having said that just try it you 'may' get away with it.
    >>
    >> Paul.

    >H'lo, Paul;
    >
    >Is it possible to get a DSL setup for Win98SE? We tried an offer from
    >BellSouth months ago and the setup failed -- their tech support said --
    >because it required Windows XP! They refunded our money and we sent
    >back their modem package.
    >
    >DSL has been around a lot longer than XP.

    I had this problem with a W98 system and a USB ADSL modem. There was
    no provision for any OS other than W2000 or XP. I suggested the user
    go out and buy an ethernet ADSL router or get a pc with xp on it.
    Alfred, Sep 22, 2007
  10. chuckcar Guest

    "DemoDisk" <> wrote in

    > "PeeCee" <> wrote in message
    >> Annie
    >>
    >> Idealy place the DSL modem by your phone outlet and then run Ethernet

    > cable
    >> the 12 feet to the computer.
    >>
    >> The reason long extension cords are frowned upon is because the wire

    > pair
    >> inside the cable is usually just run in parallel whereas the wall

    > wiring
    >> (and Ethernet) is twisted pair. Twisted pair is much more immune to
    >> electrical interference than pairs with the wire run in parallel.
    >> Given ADSL is stretching the phone lines capability way beyond what

    > they
    >> were designed for, it is simply best practice to minimise potential

    > trouble
    >> spots.
    >>
    >> Having said that just try it you 'may' get away with it.
    >>
    >> Paul.

    > H'lo, Paul;
    >
    > Is it possible to get a DSL setup for Win98SE? We tried an offer from
    > BellSouth months ago and the setup failed -- their tech support said
    > -- because it required Windows XP! They refunded our money and we
    > sent back their modem package.
    >
    > DSL has been around a lot longer than XP.

    You can manually set up DSL or dial-up without any additional software
    (works better that way a lot of the time too). You just have to know how
    to do it.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Sep 22, 2007
  11. Jan B Guest

    "Alfred" <> schreef in bericht
    > On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 00:43:30 -0500, "DemoDisk" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>"PeeCee" <> wrote in message
    >>> Annie
    >>>
    >>> Idealy place the DSL modem by your phone outlet and then run
    >>> Ethernet

    >>cable
    >>> the 12 feet to the computer.
    >>>
    >>> The reason long extension cords are frowned upon is because the
    >>> wire

    >>pair
    >>> inside the cable is usually just run in parallel whereas the wall

    >>wiring
    >>> (and Ethernet) is twisted pair. Twisted pair is much more immune
    >>> electrical interference than pairs with the wire run in parallel.
    >>> Given ADSL is stretching the phone lines capability way beyond
    >>> what

    >>they
    >>> were designed for, it is simply best practice to minimise
    >>> potential

    >>trouble
    >>> spots.
    >>>
    >>> Having said that just try it you 'may' get away with it.
    >>>
    >>> Paul.

    >>H'lo, Paul;
    >>
    >>Is it possible to get a DSL setup for Win98SE? We tried an offer
    >>from
    >>BellSouth months ago and the setup failed -- their tech support
    >>said --
    >>because it required Windows XP! They refunded our money and we sent
    >>back their modem package.
    >>
    >>DSL has been around a lot longer than XP.
    >>

    > I had this problem with a W98 system and a USB ADSL modem. There was
    > no provision for any OS other than W2000 or XP. I suggested the user
    > go out and buy an ethernet ADSL router or get a pc with xp on it.

    I just moved the usb ADSL cable from the W98 PC (used for many years)
    tot the XP PC, installed thre software. No problems.
    Jan B, Sep 22, 2007
  12. Alfred Guest

    On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 20:19:39 +0200, "Jan B" <> wrote:

    >"Alfred" <> schreef in bericht
    >> On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 00:43:30 -0500, "DemoDisk" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>>"PeeCee" <> wrote in message

    >>>cable

    >>>pair
    >>>wiring
    >>>they
    >>>trouble

    >>>H'lo, Paul;
    >>>
    >>>Is it possible to get a DSL setup for Win98SE? We tried an offer
    >>>from
    >>>BellSouth months ago and the setup failed -- their tech support
    >>>said --
    >>>because it required Windows XP! They refunded our money and we sent
    >>>back their modem package.
    >>>
    >>>DSL has been around a lot longer than XP.
    >>>

    >> I had this problem with a W98 system and a USB ADSL modem. There was
    >> no provision for any OS other than W2000 or XP. I suggested the user
    >> go out and buy an ethernet ADSL router or get a pc with xp on it.

    >I just moved the usb ADSL cable from the W98 PC (used for many years)
    >tot the XP PC, installed thre software. No problems.

    I was going the other way.
    The supplier no longer supported win98 on the USB installation
    software and there was no clue as to how to set it up manually. User
    was trying to get online with an old machine one of her sons had given
    her. She bought an XP machine in the end.
    Alfred, Sep 22, 2007
  13. tom Guest

    Jan B wrote:
    > "Alfred" <> schreef in bericht
    >> On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 00:43:30 -0500, "DemoDisk" <>
    >> wrote:

    <snip>

    >> I had this problem with a W98 system and a USB ADSL modem. There was
    >> no provision for any OS other than W2000 or XP. I suggested the user
    >> go out and buy an ethernet ADSL router or get a pc with xp on it.

    > I just moved the usb ADSL cable from the W98 PC (used for many years)
    > tot the XP PC, installed thre software. No problems.

    I've had DSL for 7 years (dedicated line). The first 4 years with Win98 and
    the last 3 with XP. Same modem (Speedstream 5260).
    tom, Sep 22, 2007
  14. DemoDisk Guest

    "chuckcar" <> wrote in message

    > You can manually set up DSL or dial-up without any additional software
    > (works better that way a lot of the time too). You just have to know

    how
    > to do it.

    I'll google that!
    DemoDisk, Sep 22, 2007
  15. Alfred Guest

    On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 17:42:58 -0500, "DemoDisk" <>
    wrote:

    >"chuckcar" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> You can manually set up DSL or dial-up without any additional software
    >> (works better that way a lot of the time too). You just have to know

    >how
    >> to do it.

    >I'll google that!

    Much more difficult to do when you have to get a net connection to
    find out how to get a net connection. Not so bad if the documentation
    sent by your provider has all the settings.

    Then of course there is Tiscali. ADSL with a USB modem and to connect
    you need a dialer configured.
    Alfred, Sep 23, 2007
  16. DemoDisk Guest

    "Alfred" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 17:42:58 -0500, "DemoDisk" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    > >"chuckcar" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > >> You can manually set up DSL or dial-up without any additional

    software
    > >> (works better that way a lot of the time too). You just have to

    know
    > >how
    > >> to do it.

    > >I'll google that!
    > >

    > Much more difficult to do when you have to get a net connection to
    > find out how to get a net connection. Not so bad if the documentation
    > sent by your provider has all the settings.
    >
    > Then of course there is Tiscali. ADSL with a USB modem and to connect
    > you need a dialer configured.

    I had to struggle with that, so it's clear people here are way ahead of
    me in online connectivity.

    It's beyond me to diagnose connection problems. I can't understand why I
    get only a half-speed dialup connection most times. Is the new modem
    bad or is it the ISP? The level of online traffic? No way to tell AFAIK,
    and there's no documentation to help!

    Following up your suggestions on Google is about the best I can do (at
    half speed)...

    Thanks to everyone for responding,
    JPM
    DemoDisk, Sep 24, 2007
  17. chuckcar Guest

    "DemoDisk" <> wrote in

    > "Alfred" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 17:42:58 -0500, "DemoDisk" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >> >"chuckcar" <> wrote in message
    >> >

    > I had to struggle with that, so it's clear people here are way ahead
    > of me in online connectivity.
    >
    > It's beyond me to diagnose connection problems. I can't understand why
    > I get only a half-speed dialup connection most times. Is the new
    > modem bad or is it the ISP? The level of online traffic? No way to
    > tell AFAIK, and there's no documentation to help!
    >
    > Following up your suggestions on Google is about the best I can do (at
    > half speed)...
    >

    > Thanks to everyone for responding,
    > JPM

    Try microsoft technet - it's probably going to be more to the point:

    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/default.aspx

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Sep 24, 2007