    Google toolbar) from being installed.

    What exactly are third party browser extensions?

    Should that be turned off?

    tvfun, Jan 4, 2005

  2. tvfun

    donnie Guest

    On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 00:45:41 GMT, "tvfun" <> wrote:

    >In IE,
    >Tools/Internet Options/Advanced:
    >'Enable third-party browser extensions (requires restart)'

    ##########################
    I don't see that in IE5.5 but here is something on it.

    http://department.monm.edu/is/fac-staff/keep-clean.htm

    #6 a little more than half way down the page.
    donnie.

    donnie, Jan 4, 2005

  3. tvfun

    tvfun Guest

    Thank you!

    tvfun, Jan 4, 2005
  4. tvfun

    tvfun Guest

    extensions". It said this requires a reboot. I did so. Upon reboot it was
    back to checked again!

    I repeated the process and it happened again. Some piece of spyware must be
    doing this on bootup.

    I also suspect that something similar is happening with respect to "Install
    on demand". Could some piece of malware turn "Install on demand" silently,
    install itself and then turn "Install on demand" back off? I suspect so as
    I've had any number of programs install themselves on my machine even though
    that has been unchecked for months. I'm not talking just browser extensions
    here I'm talking full programs.

    BTW I had bought Norton Anti-Virus about 9 months ago and was running it's
    thingie at startup. The other day when I decided to look at this issue again
    in depth I noticed Norton's thing was no longer running at startup and
    furthermore when I try to start it manually it won't start! Something has
    "knocked it out".

    Both SpyBot search and destroy and Addaware (which I have been running once
    a week or so) mentioned that they could in theory interfere with anti-virus
    stuff so it could be one of those two but I don't know.

    I must admit I am starting to lose trust in Windows. It's one thing after
    another. Install this and it breaks that, fix one thing but it's broken
    again later. It seems fundimentally insecure - especially anything to do
    with "Active X". Windows crashes on my machine about every 2 days. The MAC I
    mentioned in another post has not crashed YET.

    tvfun, Jan 4, 2005
  5. tvfun

    donnie Guest

    On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 18:41:52 GMT, "tvfun" <> wrote:

    >I repeated the process and it happened again. Some piece of spyware must be
    >doing this on bootup.

    ##############################
    Here are the steps I would take if that were my machine.
    1) Go through the registry.
    HKLM,Software,Microsoft, Windows, CurrentVersion, Run
    HKCU same path
    Delete any values that could be spyware/trojan. If you're not sure
    search the entry on google. Whatever that thing is that keeps
    reproducing is in the registry somewhere. The registry has a search
    tool just like the OS does.
    2) Disable ActiveX, javascript and active scripting in IE.
    3) Uncheck anything that's not needed in msconfig. Whatever keeps
    coming back is probably started in the registry
    4) Look for unwanted entries in autoexecnt.bat, config.sys, win.ini
    and any other system file that may have a conection.
    5) If you insist on using norton, make sure that you update the dat
    files first. I'm assume you know how to do that. If not just say so.
    donnie.

    donnie, Jan 5, 2005