    I'd welcome any advice from other Digital camera owners that use a
    Compact Flash card.

    Regards Brian

    Brian, Oct 27, 2005

  2. Brian

    Charles Guest

    On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 23:00:02 +1300, Brian <> wrote:

    >I own a Canon 300D camera which uses a Compact Flash card.
    >When connecting the card to my computer to delete images that I have
    >copied to the hard drive to make more free space on the compact card,
    >do I also delete the folders on the Flash card that contain the
    >images?
    >
    >I'd like to have a continuing numbering of photos (having the camera
    >automatically numbering (in the filename) the photos each time I take
    >a photo so I'm thinking that maybe I should leave the folders on the
    >compact flash card. I put all the photos in the same folder on the
    >hard drive so I want each photo to have a different filename.
    >
    >I'd welcome any advice from other Digital camera owners that use a
    >Compact Flash card.
    >
    >Regards Brian

    I delete the folders, and the camera keeps the numbering system
    intact. Apparently the camera has another internal memory to keep
    that stuff straight. Otherwise, changing cards would confuse it
    totally.

    Charles, Oct 27, 2005

  3. "Brian" <> wrote in message
    >I own a Canon 300D camera which uses a Compact Flash card.
    > When connecting the card to my computer to delete images that I have
    > copied to the hard drive to make more free space on the compact card,
    > do I also delete the folders on the Flash card that contain the
    > images?
    >
    > I'd like to have a continuing numbering of photos (having the camera
    > automatically numbering (in the filename) the photos each time I take
    > a photo so I'm thinking that maybe I should leave the folders on the
    > compact flash card. I put all the photos in the same folder on the
    > hard drive so I want each photo to have a different filename.
    >
    > I'd welcome any advice from other Digital camera owners that use a
    > Compact Flash card.
    >
    > Regards Brian

    Most cameras have a menu setting for keeping picture numbering consecutive
    or starting it afresh each time. On my cameras, it doesn't matter if you
    delete the folders or not- but to do that, you have to use Windows.

    Some people recommend deleting pictures only using the camera menu/software
    rather than doing it through Windows either with the camera attached to the
    computer or having the card in a separate card reader-- feeling there is
    less risk of damaging directory structure and reducing card capacity.

    at

    Patrick Cleburne, Oct 27, 2005
  4. In article <>, Brian
    <> wrote:

    > I own a Canon 300D camera which uses a Compact Flash card.
    > When connecting the card to my computer to delete images that I have
    > copied to the hard drive to make more free space on the compact card,
    > do I also delete the folders on the Flash card that contain the
    > images?

    Suck 'em out after each "session" using a card reader, then format the
    card in the camera.

    Randall Ainsworth, Oct 27, 2005
  5. Brian

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Brian wrote:
    > I own a Canon 300D camera which uses a Compact Flash card.
    > When connecting the card to my computer to delete images that I have
    > copied to the hard drive to make more free space on the compact card,
    > do I also delete the folders on the Flash card that contain the
    > images?
    >
    > I'd like to have a continuing numbering of photos (having the camera
    > automatically numbering (in the filename) the photos each time I take
    > a photo so I'm thinking that maybe I should leave the folders on the
    > compact flash card. I put all the photos in the same folder on the
    > hard drive so I want each photo to have a different filename.
    >
    > I'd welcome any advice from other Digital camera owners that use a
    > Compact Flash card.
    >
    > Regards Brian

    Brian,
    Some cameras seem to take the numbers from the card, others remember
    them so that multiple cards can be used. It is NEVER a good idea to
    disturb the directory structure that a camera writes to a card. If you
    wish to delete the files, use the camera, preferably the format option
    which will preserve the directory structure, and any picture number the
    camera may write to the card.

    --
    Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter, Oct 27, 2005
  6. Brian

    Roy Guest

    "Brian" <> wrote in message
    >I own a Canon 300D camera which uses a Compact Flash card.
    > When connecting the card to my computer to delete images that I have
    > copied to the hard drive to make more free space on the compact card,
    > do I also delete the folders on the Flash card that contain the
    > images?
    >
    > I'd like to have a continuing numbering of photos (having the camera
    > automatically numbering (in the filename) the photos each time I take
    > a photo so I'm thinking that maybe I should leave the folders on the
    > compact flash card. I put all the photos in the same folder on the
    > hard drive so I want each photo to have a different filename.
    >
    > I'd welcome any advice from other Digital camera owners that use a
    > Compact Flash card.
    >
    > Regards Brian

    Hi.

    Use the Camera to delete data from the Card.

    Just read the NGs to see the number of problems caused by doing it other
    ways.

    The Continuous or Non-Continuous numbering is a choice which is available to
    you in the Camera Menu.

    Roy G

    Roy, Oct 27, 2005
  7. "Brian" <> wrote:

    > I'd like to have a continuing numbering of photos (having the camera
    > automatically numbering (in the filename) the photos each time I take
    > a photo so I'm thinking that maybe I should leave the folders on the
    > compact flash card. I put all the photos in the same folder on the
    > hard drive so I want each photo to have a different filename.
    >
    > I'd welcome any advice from other Digital camera owners that use a
    > Compact Flash card.

    My personal preference is to, immediately on copying new photos to my PC,
    rename them with the date and time they were made, e.g.
    "20051027-085300.JPG", where the last two digits are incremented for
    multiple photos per minute. Then forever after, unless it is renamed, the
    name shows when it was taken, even if cropped or adjusted. I find this far
    more valuable than a simple sequence number, which carries zero information
    value, of itself. If I want to differentiate sets of photos, say by camera
    used, I append a prefix to the photo names like this: "Canon
    20051027-085300.JPG" or "Nikon 20051027-085300.JPG".

    It only takes a couple of seconds to do this (I wrote a small program to do
    the renaming automatically): Copy the photos from the flash card to an empty
    subdirectory, run the rename program, move the photos to their permanent
    storage location.

    One other thing; I have learned to *always* keep a copy of the original
    (renamed) photo, and edit/view/print/use copies only.
    --
    Judson McClendon (remove zero)
    Sun Valley Systems http://sunvaley.com

    Judson McClendon, Oct 27, 2005
  8. Brian

    Dave Cohen Guest

    "Judson McClendon" <> wrote in message
    > "Brian" <> wrote:
    >>
    >> I'd like to have a continuing numbering of photos (having the camera
    >> automatically numbering (in the filename) the photos each time I take
    >> a photo so I'm thinking that maybe I should leave the folders on the
    >> compact flash card. I put all the photos in the same folder on the
    >> hard drive so I want each photo to have a different filename.
    >>
    >> I'd welcome any advice from other Digital camera owners that use a
    >> Compact Flash card.

    > My personal preference is to, immediately on copying new photos to my PC,
    > rename them with the date and time they were made, e.g.
    > "20051027-085300.JPG", where the last two digits are incremented for
    > multiple photos per minute. Then forever after, unless it is renamed, the
    > name shows when it was taken, even if cropped or adjusted. I find this far
    > more valuable than a simple sequence number, which carries zero
    > information value, of itself. If I want to differentiate sets of photos,
    > say by camera used, I append a prefix to the photo names like this: "Canon
    > 20051027-085300.JPG" or "Nikon 20051027-085300.JPG".
    >
    > It only takes a couple of seconds to do this (I wrote a small program to
    > do the renaming automatically): Copy the photos from the flash card to an
    > empty subdirectory, run the rename program, move the photos to their
    > permanent storage location.
    >
    > One other thing; I have learned to *always* keep a copy of the original
    > (renamed) photo, and edit/view/print/use copies only.
    > --

    I also keep a copy of original shot, even those I never print. Having done
    that, the windows file date is good enough for me.
    I get my prints made mainly on-line and like to have the file name printed
    on the back. Just found and have used WinkFlash.com who do this (so do
    others, but winkflash is real cheap and good quality).
    Finally, back to the original post. I delete from the CF card in the camera
    or card reader whichever is more convenient, never had a problem. I leave
    the directories alone, the camera will take care of these. One exception
    when I inadvertently reset file number to zero because I reset camera to
    default settings and card was newly formatted. Took a shot then renamed
    directory and image in card reader and camera picked up ok. I probably
    didn't get the directory name correct but camera seems to be tolerant in
    this regard.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Oct 27, 2005
  9. Brian

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 23:00:02 +1300, Brian <> wrote:

    >I own a Canon 300D camera which uses a Compact Flash card.
    >When connecting the card to my computer to delete images that I have
    >copied to the hard drive to make more free space on the compact card,
    >do I also delete the folders on the Flash card that contain the
    >images?
    >
    >I'd like to have a continuing numbering of photos (having the camera
    >automatically numbering (in the filename) the photos each time I take
    >a photo so I'm thinking that maybe I should leave the folders on the
    >compact flash card. I put all the photos in the same folder on the
    >hard drive so I want each photo to have a different filename.
    >
    >I'd welcome any advice from other Digital camera owners that use a
    >Compact Flash card.
    >
    >Regards Brian

    I have a DRebel/300D.
    The menu item to keep continuous numbering is in the third from the
    left menu (press the Menu button, go to the third menu, and you'll see
    the File Numbering choice). Default is Continuous.
    The common wisdom is to never delete or format the card in a computer;
    always do this in the camera. This common wisdom comes from experience
    with problems with doing this in the computer.
    When you either Format the card, or Delete All, the unneeded folders
    are deleted. (I've been told the Drebel XT/350D and 20D changed this.
    I have no idea why; with continuous numbering, the folders are
    extraneaous, and the camera is obviously smart enough to figure this
    out.)

    Keeping continuous file numbering will always give you a unique
    filename in the folder you put your image files into.
    Hope this helps.

    --
    Bill Funk
    Replace "g" with "a"

    Bill Funk, Oct 27, 2005
  10. Brian

    Shawn Hirn Guest

    In article <>,
    Brian <> wrote:

    > I own a Canon 300D camera which uses a Compact Flash card.
    > When connecting the card to my computer to delete images that I have
    > copied to the hard drive to make more free space on the compact card,
    > do I also delete the folders on the Flash card that contain the
    > images?
    >
    > I'd like to have a continuing numbering of photos (having the camera
    > automatically numbering (in the filename) the photos each time I take
    > a photo so I'm thinking that maybe I should leave the folders on the
    > compact flash card. I put all the photos in the same folder on the
    > hard drive so I want each photo to have a different filename.
    >
    > I'd welcome any advice from other Digital camera owners that use a
    > Compact Flash card.

    Makes no difference. I find it easier to reformat my CF cards, but I
    also make sure to back up the images I download from them before I erase
    or reformat them.

    Shawn Hirn, Oct 27, 2005
  11. "Dave Cohen" <> wrote:
    > "Judson McClendon" <> wrote:
    >> My personal preference is to, immediately on copying new photos to my PC,
    >> rename them with the date and time they were made, e.g.
    >> "20051027-085300.JPG", where the last two digits are incremented for
    >> multiple photos per minute. Then forever after, unless it is renamed, the
    >> name shows when it was taken, even if cropped or adjusted. I find this
    >> far more valuable than a simple sequence number, which carries zero
    >> information value, of itself. If I want to differentiate sets of photos,
    >> say by camera used, I append a prefix to the photo names like this:
    >> "Canon 20051027-085300.JPG" or "Nikon 20051027-085300.JPG".
    >>
    >> One other thing; I have learned to *always* keep a copy of the original
    >> (renamed) photo, and edit/view/print/use copies only.
    >>

    > I also keep a copy of original shot, even those I never print. Having done
    > that, the windows file date is good enough for me.
    > I get my prints made mainly on-line and like to have the file name printed
    > on the back. Just found and have used WinkFlash.com who do this (so do
    > others, but winkflash is real cheap and good quality).
    > Finally, back to the original post. I delete from the CF card in the
    > camera or card reader whichever is more convenient, never had a problem. I
    > leave the directories alone, the camera will take care of these. One
    > exception when I inadvertently reset file number to zero because I reset
    > camera to default settings and card was newly formatted. Took a shot then
    > renamed directory and image in card reader and camera picked up ok. I
    > probably didn't get the directory name correct but camera seems to be
    > tolerant in this regard.

    The problem with using only DOS date and a series number is that, if you
    ever edit the picture in any way, you lose naming connection between the
    original and edited photo, unless you maintain an absolutely consistent
    sequence number series forever, across different cameras and decades. But
    you never will again take another photo at that exact date/time. :)
    Sequence number, by itself, tells you nothing.

    Judson McClendon, Oct 27, 2005
  12. Brian

    Dave Cohen Guest

    "Bill Funk" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 23:00:02 +1300, Brian <> wrote:
    >
    >>I own a Canon 300D camera which uses a Compact Flash card.
    >>When connecting the card to my computer to delete images that I have
    >>copied to the hard drive to make more free space on the compact card,
    >>do I also delete the folders on the Flash card that contain the
    >>images?
    >>
    >>I'd like to have a continuing numbering of photos (having the camera
    >>automatically numbering (in the filename) the photos each time I take
    >>a photo so I'm thinking that maybe I should leave the folders on the
    >>compact flash card. I put all the photos in the same folder on the
    >>hard drive so I want each photo to have a different filename.
    >>
    >>I'd welcome any advice from other Digital camera owners that use a
    >>Compact Flash card.
    >>
    >>Regards Brian

    > I have a DRebel/300D.
    > The menu item to keep continuous numbering is in the third from the
    > left menu (press the Menu button, go to the third menu, and you'll see
    > the File Numbering choice). Default is Continuous.
    > The common wisdom is to never delete or format the card in a computer;
    > always do this in the camera. This common wisdom comes from experience
    > with problems with doing this in the computer.
    > When you either Format the card, or Delete All, the unneeded folders
    > are deleted. (I've been told the Drebel XT/350D and 20D changed this.
    > I have no idea why; with continuous numbering, the folders are
    > extraneaous, and the camera is obviously smart enough to figure this
    > out.)
    >
    > Keeping continuous file numbering will always give you a unique
    > filename in the folder you put your image files into.
    > Hope this helps.
    >
    > --
    > Bill Funk
    > Replace "g" with "a"
    > funktionality.blogspot.com

    Yes Bill, as long as you don't do what I did, reset camera to default
    settings with a blank card in the camera. Maybe most people would realize
    this is a no-no, but I got caught. It also clears the owner name field,
    maybe this is more obvious.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Oct 27, 2005
  13. Brian

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 20:43:14 GMT, "Dave Cohen" <>
    wrote:

    >"Bill Funk" <> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 23:00:02 +1300, Brian <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I own a Canon 300D camera which uses a Compact Flash card.
    >>>When connecting the card to my computer to delete images that I have
    >>>copied to the hard drive to make more free space on the compact card,
    >>>do I also delete the folders on the Flash card that contain the
    >>>images?
    >>>
    >>>I'd like to have a continuing numbering of photos (having the camera
    >>>automatically numbering (in the filename) the photos each time I take
    >>>a photo so I'm thinking that maybe I should leave the folders on the
    >>>compact flash card. I put all the photos in the same folder on the
    >>>hard drive so I want each photo to have a different filename.
    >>>
    >>>I'd welcome any advice from other Digital camera owners that use a
    >>>Compact Flash card.
    >>>
    >>>Regards Brian

    >> I have a DRebel/300D.
    >> The menu item to keep continuous numbering is in the third from the
    >> left menu (press the Menu button, go to the third menu, and you'll see
    >> the File Numbering choice). Default is Continuous.
    >> The common wisdom is to never delete or format the card in a computer;
    >> always do this in the camera. This common wisdom comes from experience
    >> with problems with doing this in the computer.
    >> When you either Format the card, or Delete All, the unneeded folders
    >> are deleted. (I've been told the Drebel XT/350D and 20D changed this.
    >> I have no idea why; with continuous numbering, the folders are
    >> extraneaous, and the camera is obviously smart enough to figure this
    >> out.)
    >>
    >> Keeping continuous file numbering will always give you a unique
    >> filename in the folder you put your image files into.
    >> Hope this helps.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Bill Funk
    >> Replace "g" with "a"
    >> funktionality.blogspot.com

    >Yes Bill, as long as you don't do what I did, reset camera to default
    >settings with a blank card in the camera. Maybe most people would realize
    >this is a no-no, but I got caught. It also clears the owner name field,
    >maybe this is more obvious.
    >Dave Cohen

    Well, don't do that!
    :)

    Bill Funk, Oct 28, 2005
  14. On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 05:52:40 -0700, Randall Ainsworth
    <> wrote:

    >In article <>, Brian
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >> I own a Canon 300D camera which uses a Compact Flash card.
    >> When connecting the card to my computer to delete images that I have
    >> copied to the hard drive to make more free space on the compact card,
    >> do I also delete the folders on the Flash card that contain the
    >> images?

    >Suck 'em out after each "session" using a card reader, then format the
    >card in the camera.

    Same here.

    Leonard Lehew, Oct 28, 2005