A question in network design

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Perdition, Feb 1, 2006.

  1. Perdition

    Perdition Guest

    I received a review question which I'm not sure about because something
    seems to be missing.

    5 * Catalyst 2500 with 2 ports for fast ethernet
    2 * Catalyst 3500 (nothing is known about exact module)

    I want five different vlans to communicate with a switch that is
    connected to two servers. I suppose each vlan (office branch) would
    have a switch which connects the hosts for that branch, and all 5
    switches would connect to a switch which can allow them to communicate
    with the servers and the servers can communicate with them. The office
    vlans however cannot communicate with eachother. So five vlans, each
    can communicate with the server vlan, but not with eachother. I assume
    i'd use the 3500 to interface between the five vlans and the servers
    but as far as I can tell 3500 is not a MLS which would allow internal
    processing to route the vlan messages. I remind you that i don't have a
    router so i have no way of using a router to make the vlans communicate
    with eachother. How would I deal with this routing problem? Any network
    design ideas?

    Thanks alot for your time and effort :)
    Perdition, Feb 1, 2006

  2. Perdition

    NETADMIN Guest

    Hi,

    Cisco Catalyst 3500XL series has IOS capable of routing please confirm
    IOS.

    It will solve all the problems. As you have two 3550 series switches
    you can use one as a Internet Backbone and second one as VLan Server.
    And configure 2550 series switches as clients.Vlan routing can be done
    on Vlan database server
    Go through the following diagram:

    Internet--->3550(PAT/Routing)-->3550(VlanDatabase)--->5Servers and-->
    2550 Switches

    Problem Resolved.

    Thanks,
    Chetan Kamra
    NETADMIN, Feb 1, 2006

  3. Perdition

    Perdition Guest

    I worked with the catalyst and using "show module" hasn't displayed the
    module so i can find the RSM. There is no need for an internet backbone
    this is just a private network. The five groups can communicate with
    the servers and vica versa but not with eachother, I looked for a way
    to route vlan traffic in the 3500 series but i couldn't find anything
    to explain how it is done. For the 5000 there is the possibility to
    make a session with the routing module and work through there, but
    nothing of that sort for the 3500. Could you please instruct me how
    this is done?
    Perdition, Feb 1, 2006
  4. Perdition

    NETADMIN Guest

    Do you know how to create Vlans on 3550 Switch?

    IF yes then go throuh the following steps:
    Step1>> Create 7 Vlans on One 3550 switch,Give switch a VTP domain name
    (E.g. TEST) and VTP status server

    Step2>> Designate all the other switches as VTP client in TEST domain

    Step 3>> Give each Vlan a private ip address range (E.g
    VLAN1== 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0(Administrative Vlan)
    VLAN2== 192.168.2.1 255.255.255.0
    VLAN3== 192.168.3.1 255.255.255.0
    VLAN4== 192.168.4.1 255.255.255.0
    VLAN5== 192.168.5.1 255.255.255.0
    VLAN6== 192.168.6.1 255.255.255.0
    VLAN7== 192.168.7.1 255.255.255.0

    Step 4>> Keep VLan 1 and 2 with u and assigne all other to diffrent
    groups

    Step 5>>Assign Vlan 2 to Servers

    Step 6>>Create an access-list which permits only 192.168.1.2.1
    255.255.255.0

    Step 7>> Define that accesslist on Vlan 3,4,5,6,7 OUT

    By this all groups can access servers but no one can access each other

    Thanks,
    Chetan
    NETADMIN, Feb 2, 2006
  5. In article <>,
    NETADMIN <> wrote:
    >Do you know how to create Vlans on 3550 Switch?

    The original poster said "3500" not "3550". The 3500XL series
    has completely different features than the 3550.

    All of the following are EOS:

    3548XL
    3524 PWR XL
    3524 XL
    3512XL
    3508G XL

    The most advanced of these was the 3508G XL, but it did not have
    routing:

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps637/products_data_sheet09186a00800925c7.html

    See also the Command Reference for the 2900XL and 3500XL series,
    and notice that the only "ip" command is "ip address" with no
    "ip routing" command:

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products...ference_chapter09186a00800d85e5.html#xtocid29

    The 3550 -does- support routing and a number of other advanced features,
    but it is not considered to be part of the 3500 series.
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps637/index.html
    Walter Roberson, Feb 2, 2006