    guess??
    I'll send up the specs as soon as I get them, but Thanks in advance

    Bob Beard, Student of A+ Net+ and MCSA

    b beard, Nov 27, 2003

  2. b beard

    Ghost Guest

    In article <3pnxb.2773$>, "b beard"
    <> wrote:

    > First, I want to wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving.
    >
    > A friend e mailed me this morning, asking me a stumper. He just bought a new
    > TDK dvd burner, which uses + & -. I know that he is using XP Pro, but I am
    > waiting on his specs, speed, mobo, etc. My question is this: He said that
    > when he tries to burn a DVD, halfway through the process, his comp. makes a
    > clicking sound, and reboots. Without any details, would someone venture a
    > guess??
    > I'll send up the specs as soon as I get them, but Thanks in advance
    >
    > Bob Beard, Student of A+ Net+ and MCSA

    Definitely not enough information here to venture a solid guess... but,
    perhaps defective RAM?

    Probably not heat related if it only happens during DVD burning.

    The first thing I would look at in this case would be the RAM.

    Ghost, Nov 27, 2003

  3. b beard

    jonny bravo Guest

    "Ghost" <> wrote in message
    > In article <3pnxb.2773$>, "b beard"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > First, I want to wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving.
    > >
    > > A friend e mailed me this morning, asking me a stumper. He just bought a

    new
    > > TDK dvd burner, which uses + & -. I know that he is using XP Pro, but I

    am
    > > waiting on his specs, speed, mobo, etc. My question is this: He said

    that
    > > when he tries to burn a DVD, halfway through the process, his comp.

    makes a
    > > clicking sound, and reboots. Without any details, would someone venture

    > > guess??
    > > I'll send up the specs as soon as I get them, but Thanks in advance
    > >
    > > Bob Beard, Student of A+ Net+ and MCSA

    > Definitely not enough information here to venture a solid guess... but,
    > perhaps defective RAM?
    >
    > Probably not heat related if it only happens during DVD burning.
    >
    > The first thing I would look at in this case would be the RAM.

    Next Guess.. Power supply...One too many devices in his box...
    Had this happen when I added a cd burner to a eMachine box once...

    --
    Jonny Bravo
    Some Do, Some Don't, Some Will, Some Won't...I Might...

    ---

    jonny bravo, Nov 27, 2003
  4. b beard

    b beard Guest

    He got Roxio bundled with the burner... we're trying to see if we can
    generate an error and he's gonna check the ram with a program i dug up.
    i'll try to get you all more info as i get it and thank you all again

    b beard, Nov 28, 2003
  5. b beard

    b beard Guest

    ok, he disabled the auto restart in XP and generated an error message...
    here it is...

    PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGE_AREA
    Technical Info.
    *** STOP:0x00000050 (0xBF7F001C, 0X00000001, OX80510080, 0X00000002)

    If this is the first time you have seen this stop error screen restart your
    computer. If this screen appears again follow these steps: Check to make
    sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. Ask your hardware
    or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

    If problem continues , disable or remove any newly installed hardware or
    software, disable any bios memory options such as caching or shadowing. If
    you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your
    computer press f8 to select advanced startup options and then select
    safemode.

    Begin Dumpof physical memory.
    Physical memory dump complete.

    b beard, Nov 28, 2003
  6. b beard

    b beard Guest

    OK, we got it fixed... I had him uninstall the software, remove the device,
    then let xp find it again, we reinstalled the software, and did a firmware
    update that he didn't know about, and the problem is solved.

    Thanks for all your input, it helped me a lot with the research i had to do
    to eliminate things step by step......god, i can't wait till school is
    finished, and I can get paid to do this for a living, I LOVE IT

    Thanks Again, B Beard

    b beard, Nov 29, 2003