    Many thanks,
    Steve
    (Feeling nostalgic for my old PB)
    Steve, Jul 16, 2007

  2. Steve wrote:
    > Does anyone know if it is possible to use the old Navigator software
    > on a modern PC running either Win 2K PRO or Win XP Home?
    > I don't mean Netscape Navigator. I mean the software that showed you
    > rooms in a house where different types of programmes and software were
    > kept.
    > Old timers will know what I mean.
    > If it's do-able, is there anywhere the software can be downloaded
    > from?

    Anyone else miss using "Bob" from MS? Me neither.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jul 16, 2007

  3. Steve

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    > Steve wrote:
    >> Does anyone know if it is possible to use the old Navigator software
    >> on a modern PC running either Win 2K PRO or Win XP Home?
    >> I don't mean Netscape Navigator. I mean the software that showed you
    >> rooms in a house where different types of programmes and software were
    >> kept.
    >> Old timers will know what I mean.
    >> If it's do-able, is there anywhere the software can be downloaded
    >> from?

    > Anyone else miss using "Bob" from MS? Me neither.

    OMG! That was funny <g>! Heck, how many users even know what that's about?

    WhzzKdd, Jul 16, 2007
  4. Steve

    Clogwog Guest

    "Steve" <> schreef in bericht
    > Does anyone know if it is possible to use the old Navigator software

    http://toastytech.com/guis/pbnav35.html
    "Packard Bell Navigator 3.5 is an alternate shell for Windows 3.1 and
    Windows 95 that Packard Bell bundled on most of their computers around
    1995."

    > on a modern PC running either Win 2K PRO or Win XP Home?

    The easiest way is to install the free Virtualbox;
    http://www.virtualbox.org/
    Then install win 3.1(1) or win95 in a virtual box. Then you can run your old
    Navigator software.

    Clogwog, Jul 16, 2007
  5. Steve

    Fred Kasner Guest

    Rôgêr wrote:
    > Steve wrote:
    >> Does anyone know if it is possible to use the old Navigator software
    >> on a modern PC running either Win 2K PRO or Win XP Home?
    >> I don't mean Netscape Navigator. I mean the software that showed you
    >> rooms in a house where different types of programmes and software were
    >> kept.
    >> Old timers will know what I mean.
    >> If it's do-able, is there anywhere the software can be downloaded
    >> from?

    > Anyone else miss using "Bob" from MS? Me neither.

    I took one look at it when it came with a new computer some years ago
    and promptly erased the whole thing from my HD. Never missed such help.
    FK
    Fred Kasner, Jul 16, 2007
  6. Steve

    Plato Guest

    Steve wrote:

    > Does anyone know if it is possible to use the old Navigator software
    > on a modern PC running either Win 2K PRO or Win XP Home?

    Dont know, I do currently use NS 3.0 with win98SE for USEnet tho. Tho I
    do need to change to a better USEnet reader that will download the
    messsage bodies as well for my XP laptop.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Jul 16, 2007
  7. Steve

    philo Guest

    "Steve" <> wrote in message
    > Does anyone know if it is possible to use the old Navigator software
    > on a modern PC running either Win 2K PRO or Win XP Home?
    > I don't mean Netscape Navigator. I mean the software that showed you
    > rooms in a house where different types of programmes and software were
    > kept.
    > Old timers will know what I mean.
    > If it's do-able, is there anywhere the software can be downloaded
    > from?
    > Many thanks,
    > Steve
    > (Feeling nostalgic for my old PB)

    I still have my first computer...a Packard Bell P-75.

    Though PB got a lot of bad rap...my particular machine was a good one...
    My girlfriend gave it to me after she outgrew it. She had it 4 years or
    so...
    I used it for another 4 years or so.

    I upgraded it to 200mhz, put in 128 megs of ram and a 20 gig HD.
    Dual booted win98 and Red Hat Linux.
    Before I put it into storage I returned it to it's original specs.

    Anyway...I am pretty sure you can run PB navigator on a newer machine...
    you could give it a try and see what happens

    philo, Jul 17, 2007