A question for people who know hacking

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by SoundBytes, Oct 8, 2007.

  1. SoundBytes

    SoundBytes Guest

    Hi
    My friend is running a server (for a game) for another guy while he is
    away, the PC is running windows xp, the game and that's all (if you need
    more info on PC I will hand it over)

    A few weeks ago some guy/s where being a pain in the arse and swearing etc,
    picking on other users etc, well you get my drift, so he blocked them, since
    then the PC in question restarts, now and again, 4 or 5 time or sometimes a
    lot more in succession, during the day/night, or randomly.

    We have checked everything from reinstalling windows, to hardware, over
    heating, tested everything and it all seems to be ok, infact if he leaves
    the server off for a few hours, a day or a few days it's fine, but if he
    puts the server/game on, sometime during 24 hours it starts to restart.

    sorry bit long winded but the only thing I can come up with is maybe (and I
    am no IT guy) is that one of the prats he has blocked is able to restart his
    pc remotely, so simply I am asking is this possible?

    if so would it be possible and easy to stop them? remember I we are not IT
    pro's, but I know my way around a pc enough to do intermediate stuff,
    networking I am lost on, haven't a clue of what is or isn't possible

    Thanks

    Gordon

    SoundBytes, Oct 8, 2007

  2. SoundBytes

    meerkat Guest

    "SoundBytes" <> wrote in message
    > Hi
    > My friend is running a server (for a game) for another guy while he
    > is
    > away, the PC is running windows xp, the game and that's all (if you
    > need
    > more info on PC I will hand it over)
    >
    > A few weeks ago some guy/s where being a pain in the arse and
    > swearing etc,
    > picking on other users etc, well you get my drift, so he blocked
    > them, since
    > then the PC in question restarts, now and again, 4 or 5 time or
    > sometimes a
    > lot more in succession, during the day/night, or randomly.
    >
    > We have checked everything from reinstalling windows, to hardware,
    > over
    > heating, tested everything and it all seems to be ok, infact if he
    > leaves
    > the server off for a few hours, a day or a few days it's fine, but
    > if he
    > puts the server/game on, sometime during 24 hours it starts to
    > restart.
    >
    > sorry bit long winded but the only thing I can come up with is maybe
    > (and I
    > am no IT guy) is that one of the prats he has blocked is able to
    > restart his
    > pc remotely, so simply I am asking is this possible?
    >
    > if so would it be possible and easy to stop them? remember I we are
    > not IT
    > pro's, but I know my way around a pc enough to do intermediate
    > stuff,
    > networking I am lost on, haven't a clue of what is or isn't possible

    Have you checked the Event Viewer for errors ?.

    meerkat, Oct 8, 2007

  3. "SoundBytes" <> wrote in

    > Hi
    > My friend is running a server (for a game) for another guy while
    > he is
    > away, the PC is running windows xp, the game and that's all (if
    > you need more info on PC I will hand it over)
    >
    > A few weeks ago some guy/s where being a pain in the arse and
    > swearing etc, picking on other users etc, well you get my drift,
    > so he blocked them, since then the PC in question restarts, now
    > and again, 4 or 5 time or sometimes a lot more in succession,
    > during the day/night, or randomly.
    >
    > We have checked everything from reinstalling windows, to hardware,
    > over heating, tested everything and it all seems to be ok, infact
    > if he leaves the server off for a few hours, a day or a few days
    > it's fine, but if he puts the server/game on, sometime during 24
    > hours it starts to restart.
    >
    > sorry bit long winded but the only thing I can come up with is
    > maybe (and I am no IT guy) is that one of the prats he has blocked
    > is able to restart his pc remotely, so simply I am asking is this
    > possible?
    >
    > if so would it be possible and easy to stop them? remember I we
    > are not IT pro's, but I know my way around a pc enough to do
    > intermediate stuff, networking I am lost on, haven't a clue of
    > what is or isn't possible

    Of course this is possible.
    Bring up a command prompt window and enter the command:
    shutdown -?
    For this to be done remotely, the person would need Administrator
    priviliges on the remote machine. Make sure that all administrator
    users/accounts on the machine have a non-default password. That is
    your first line of defense.

    HTH,
    John

    John Wunderlich, Oct 8, 2007
  4. SoundBytes

    John Holmes Guest

    SoundBytes "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > networking I am lost on, haven't a clue of what is or isn't possible

    There's your problem. Writing tutorials for you would take lots of time
    and is beyond the scope of any help people could offer you here. First
    thing you could do is install a decent firewall. Second, visit the
    following sites and read, read, read...

    www.windowsnetworking.com
    www.windowssecurity.com

    Third, you might want to give us a slight hint about the game you're
    running/hosting...

    --
    Your mother was a gruesome ninny who got drunk with a baboon in
    refrigerators.

    John Holmes, Oct 8, 2007
  5. SoundBytes

    Guest

    "SoundBytes" <> wrote:

    >We have checked everything from reinstalling windows, to hardware, over
    >heating, tested everything and it all seems to be ok, infact if he leaves
    >the server off for a few hours, a day or a few days it's fine, but if he
    >puts the server/game on, sometime during 24 hours it starts to restart.

    Find the command Shutdown - and rename it.

    --

    Food Fight
    http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=1208040355&size=l

    , Oct 8, 2007
  6. SoundBytes

    SoundBytes Guest

    "John Holmes" <> wrote in message
    > SoundBytes "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >
    >> networking I am lost on, haven't a clue of what is or isn't possible
    >>

    > There's your problem. Writing tutorials for you would take lots of time
    > and is beyond the scope of any help people could offer you here. First
    > thing you could do is install a decent firewall. Second, visit the
    > following sites and read, read, read...
    >
    > www.windowsnetworking.com
    > www.windowssecurity.com
    >
    > Third, you might want to give us a slight hint about the game you're
    > running/hosting...
    >
    > --
    > Your mother was a gruesome ninny who got drunk with a baboon in
    > refrigerators.

    The Game is Halflifem if that helps?

    SoundBytes, Oct 9, 2007
  7. SoundBytes

    Gaius Baltar Guest

    On Mon, 08 Oct 2007 18:51:58 GMT, "SoundBytes" <> wrote:

    >Hi
    > My friend is running a server (for a game) for another guy while he is
    >away, the PC is running windows xp, the game and that's all (if you need
    >more info on PC I will hand it over)
    >
    >A few weeks ago some guy/s where being a pain in the arse and swearing etc,
    >picking on other users etc, well you get my drift, so he blocked them, since
    >then the PC in question restarts, now and again, 4 or 5 time or sometimes a
    >lot more in succession, during the day/night, or randomly.
    >
    >We have checked everything from reinstalling windows, to hardware, over
    >heating, tested everything and it all seems to be ok, infact if he leaves
    >the server off for a few hours, a day or a few days it's fine, but if he
    >puts the server/game on, sometime during 24 hours it starts to restart.
    >
    >sorry bit long winded but the only thing I can come up with is maybe (and I
    >am no IT guy) is that one of the prats he has blocked is able to restart his
    >pc remotely, so simply I am asking is this possible?
    >
    >if so would it be possible and easy to stop them? remember I we are not IT
    >pro's, but I know my way around a pc enough to do intermediate stuff,
    >networking I am lost on, haven't a clue of what is or isn't possible
    >
    >Thanks
    >
    >Gordon

    Might be he set the PC to reboot when CPU reaches a very low temp,
    like 60C.

    Go into the BIOS (look at first screen when PC starts, press indicated
    key for Setup - often this is "Delete") and reset the settings, not
    Performance, the other one (Stability or something).

    gb

    Gaius Baltar, Oct 10, 2007
  8. SoundBytes

    Alan Guest

    Gaius Baltar wrote:
    > On Mon, 08 Oct 2007 18:51:58 GMT, "SoundBytes" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >> My friend is running a server (for a game) for another guy while he is
    >> away, the PC is running windows xp, the game and that's all (if you need
    >> more info on PC I will hand it over)
    >>
    >> A few weeks ago some guy/s where being a pain in the arse and swearing etc,
    >> picking on other users etc, well you get my drift, so he blocked them, since
    >> then the PC in question restarts, now and again, 4 or 5 time or sometimes a
    >> lot more in succession, during the day/night, or randomly.
    >>
    >> We have checked everything from reinstalling windows, to hardware, over
    >> heating, tested everything and it all seems to be ok, infact if he leaves
    >> the server off for a few hours, a day or a few days it's fine, but if he
    >> puts the server/game on, sometime during 24 hours it starts to restart.
    >>
    >> sorry bit long winded but the only thing I can come up with is maybe (and I
    >> am no IT guy) is that one of the prats he has blocked is able to restart his
    >> pc remotely, so simply I am asking is this possible?
    >>
    >> if so would it be possible and easy to stop them? remember I we are not IT
    >> pro's, but I know my way around a pc enough to do intermediate stuff,
    >> networking I am lost on, haven't a clue of what is or isn't possible
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> Gordon

    > Might be he set the PC to reboot when CPU reaches a very low temp,
    > like 60C.
    >
    > Go into the BIOS (look at first screen when PC starts, press indicated
    > key for Setup - often this is "Delete") and reset the settings, not
    > Performance, the other one (Stability or something).
    >
    > gb

    Usually a low-temp shut down will be preceeded by some type of alarm.
    Dont forget to run through spyware checks. Background story aside -
    troubleshoot random shutdowns.

    ~alan
    631-277-7025

    Alan, Oct 10, 2007