    in effect our brothers and sisters in arms and we should welcome
    collaboration with them.

    Just my opinion.
    DP, Jun 27, 2006

  2. DP

    John Barnes Guest

    Just remember that there is supposed to be a limit to Vista public testers
    (saw 2 million posted at one time), so you may want to download now even if
    you don't install until later. For the purists, one less person testing
    won't make any difference.

    John Barnes, Jun 27, 2006

  3. DP

    Rick Guest

    The group has existed for some time, but it has
    been intended for final versions of the OS. Win
    XP Pro x64 was added to this group after it was
    Released To Manufacturer (RTM) or final version;
    the version available as OEM now. Prior to that
    there was a Beta group specifically for the Beta
    and CPP pre-release versions.

    And that is the primary reason why Vista users,
    both x86 and x64, are advised to share their
    information in the Vista groups - that is where
    they should "air their laundry" about the Beta
    and CPP with others that are there.

    Once Vista x64 is finalized and released as a
    final product, it will be integrated into this
    group.

    The bottom line, this is not a Beta/CPP group!

    Rick, Jun 27, 2006
  4. This has always been a group supporting the x64 and IA64 editions of Windows
    XP Pro and Windows Server 2003. Discussion of Vista 64bit and Server 2007/8
    64bit will become inevitable because MS has turned down our request to set
    up a Vista 64bit ng.

    The problem right for us right now is that few of us know how to discuss
    Vista x64 as a beta. Most of the issues involving Vista involve beta
    testing it, not using it in a production environment and the Vista
    newsgroups are much more informative.

    Some here feel pretty much about Vista as Win 2000 users feel about XP; not
    very well prepared and not in a position to move to the later platform. In
    this case, not many will be getting experience with Vista because they work
    in a production environment where Vista is just not an option yet.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jun 27, 2006
  5. This group was created for the release of Server 2003 SP1 and Windows XP x64
    Edition. It was actually quite a discussion inside Microsoft, with many
    thinking that we shouldn't have a "64bit" newsgroup any more than we had a
    "32 bit" newsgroup. Especially since it is virtually impossible to ever get
    rid of a newsgroup once you create it, and the expectation is that 64bit
    computing will be mainstream in the relatively near term. I was a strong
    voice for the creation of the newsgroup, because I expected that there would
    be sufficient 64bit specific issues that we would need a place where they
    didn't get lost in the cesspool that is windowsxp.general. Time has proven
    it was a good idea, and we've built a solid community here, with a group
    that is generally helpful and has a solid base of regulars.

    The purpose of the group is to address issues that are unique to 64bit
    Windows, NOT to address problems that traverse all versions, and not to
    address issues that are essentially beta issues. While there may be issues
    unique to Vista 64bit, the issues we're getting hammered with here appear to
    be predominately _beta_ issues, which was never the intent of this group.

    We're going to continue to have way too many Vista folks here, and we'll
    just have to deal with it. But I hope and expect that we will, gently of
    course, re-direct those issues that are general Vista beta issues back to
    the appropriate Vista newsgroup. A goal of Vista is to have an identical
    experience on both 32-bit and 64-bit, and it's a requirement of the Vista
    logo program that the application/hardware work on 64bit Vista. (note that I
    didn't say it had to be native 64bit, nor did I say that it had to work on
    32bit.)

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 27, 2006
  6. DP

    DP Guest

    THANKS...... A question about this group

    Thanks. good answers John, Rick, Colin and Charlie.
    DP, Jun 27, 2006
  7. * DP:

    > Obviously, this group is dedicated to a few 64-bit OSes. My question is, was
    > it ALWAYS dedicated to ALL of the OSes it now covers, or were some OSes
    > added to this discussion group later on?

    This group first was dedicated to the IA64 versions of Windowsxp
    ("Windowsxp Professional 64bit Edition") and later Windows Server 2003
    ("Windows Server 2003 64bit Edition"). With the arrival of x64 systems
    and x64 Windows, also "Windowsxp Professional x64 Edition" and "Windows
    Server 2003 x64 Edition" were also ontopic here...

    > And if the answer is the latter --
    > OSes were later added to the original subject matter of this group -- what
    > would be the objection to allowing discussion of 64-bit Vista? After all the
    > group title in part is "windows.64bit." It is not "windowsxp.x64."

    Right, since this group not only covers 64bit Windowsxp but also 64bit
    Windows Server 2003.

    > I realize that if you allow discussion of 64-bit Vista a lot of general
    > Vista discussion might creep in here as well. But heck, that seems like a
    > minor issue we can deal with. It seems to me that users of 64-bit Vista are
    > in effect our brothers and sisters in arms and we should welcome
    > collaboration with them.

    Nope. for several reasons. But the main reason is that there are already
    dozens of national and international Vista newsgroups, so there really
    is absolutely no need to put Vista discussions here, too.

    You should not forget that Vista will basically the first mass market
    Windows that will be available in both 32bit and 64bit. Until now 64bit
    systems running 64bit Windows were just a relative small market and so a
    single newsgroup for all 64bit Windows versions was enough. That
    probably will change with Vista. So it's basically up to Microsoft to
    reorganize the newsgroups and add a
    microsoft.public.windows.vista.64bit-like newsgroup. But since Vista is
    still beta it probably will need some time until that happens. And for
    the time until MS makes a 64bit Vista newsgroups lets keep the Vista
    traffic in the Vista newsgroup where it simply belongs to.

    Benjamin
    Benjamin Gawert, Jun 27, 2006
  8. Actually, this group didn't exist until x64 Edition shipped. It has never
    had an Itanium focus, though we have had the occasional IA question that we
    do our best to help with.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 27, 2006
  9. DP

    John Barnes Guest

    Many of us can remember when it was started and Mike shushed all of us over
    from the beta site for x64.

    John Barnes, Jun 27, 2006
  10. "DP" <> wrote in message

    > Obviously, this group is dedicated to a few 64-bit OSes. My question is,

    was
    > it ALWAYS dedicated to ALL of the OSes it now covers, or were some OSes
    > added to this discussion group later on?

    No, no and no. This group AFAIK was and is for XP 64. There have been
    questions about other OSs and they've been answered if possible but this
    isn't the place to ask and the odds of getting an answer are better in the
    correct group.

    > -- what would be the objection to allowing discussion of 64-bit Vista?

    Well, that's easy, Vista is a different OS with different problems. Drivers
    that work in X64 do NOT work or even install in Vista 64 (ask me how I know
    that... <sigh>).

    And the number one reason is that Vista has it's own news groups, this isn't
    one of them.
    David R. Norton MVP Shell/User, Jun 28, 2006
  11. David, I am afraid you are incorrect. I requested a determination from
    Microsoft through my MVP lead and the official response was that this
    newsgroup is not platform specific. No Vista x64 specific newsgroups will
    be provided and this newsgroup is expected to grow into Vista x64 as the
    users do. Microsoft is aware of the friction between regulars and Vista
    users in many newsgroups, especially in the IE groups where downright flame
    wars have broken out.

    Five of the newsgroups, including this one, listed in the Vista Help and
    Support Center as sources for Vista users are long-time newsgroups and all
    five face these issues.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jun 28, 2006
  12. DP

    John Barnes Guest

    Thanks for clarifying. I really didn't understand your previous post re
    your finding. I would be interested to find out the percentage of downloads
    that are Vista64 vs Vista86. DVD purchasers get both. There are definitely
    more differences tha just the drivers, but I am surprised just how few of my
    old x86 programs will install on either version.

    John Barnes, Jun 28, 2006
  13. The installation survey was 5% x64 and 95% x86 in the TechBeta. And that
    includes the x64 users who did both. No stats are available for the CPP,
    but the percentage of x64 installations would be lower.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jun 28, 2006
  14. DP

    John Barnes Guest

    Thanks for the info.

    John Barnes, Jun 28, 2006
  15. "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(remove)@msn.com> wrote in

    > David, I am afraid you are incorrect. I requested a determination
    > from Microsoft through my MVP lead and the official response was
    > that this newsgroup is not platform specific.

    Too bad, it should be. As was pointed out by Charlie Russel this group
    was created when X64 was RTM and should cease to exist when X64 is gone
    and everyone has moved to Vista (or Linux 64 which, unlike Vista, I can
    get to work with my hardware!)

    > No Vista x64 specific newsgroups will be provided and this newsgroup
    > is expected to grow into Vista x64 as the users do.

    Big mistake IMHO, as I pointed out, Vista 64 and XP 64 are *V*E*R*Y*
    different OSs and have different problems with different solutions.
    They should not be combined, it makes it much too difficult to search
    the group, especially when people use subjects like "HELP" and give no
    indication of the problem, question or etc.

    So rather that try and live with it, let's see if we can't get MS to
    create a Vista 64 group where users can post the questions about
    WindowsME or Outlook Express or World of Warquest that they're
    currently posting here.
    David R. Norton MVP, Jun 28, 2006
  16. * Colin Barnhorst:

    > David, I am afraid you are incorrect. I requested a determination from
    > Microsoft through my MVP lead and the official response was that this
    > newsgroup is not platform specific. No Vista x64 specific newsgroups will
    > be provided and this newsgroup is expected to grow into Vista x64 as the
    > users do. Microsoft is aware of the friction between regulars and Vista
    > users in many newsgroups, especially in the IE groups where downright flame
    > wars have broken out.
    >
    > Five of the newsgroups, including this one, listed in the Vista Help and
    > Support Center as sources for Vista users are long-time newsgroups and all
    > five face these issues.

    Ok, if that's what MS expects us to do we should try to integrate Vista
    here as good as possible, at least when it's relating to the x64 version.

    Benjamin
    Benjamin Gawert, Jun 28, 2006
  17. The statement made to me about setting up newsgroups is as follows:
    "There are a few things behind this: Jim Allchin's admonition to create as
    few new newsgroups as possible (we have lots of abandoned ones, and they can't
    be deleted), MSCOM's guideline to avoid version-specific newsgroups whenever
    possible, and a desire to avoid forcing an existing community to migrate to
    a new group."

    Colin Barnhorst, Jun 28, 2006
  18. Apparently the resources now required to support the newsgroups are such
    that MS is finding any way possible to halt proliferation. Obviously,
    Win95, Win98, W2k and other platform ng's were ok at one time, but in the
    quote I posted to David just above you can see that MS is getting very
    concerned about adding even more. I have little reason to think that MS
    wants it this way any more than we do.

    Like you, I feel that we have had our say and received a fair answer so it
    is time to move on and learn what we need to for helping others.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jun 28, 2006