    Juan I. Cahis
    Santiago de Chile (South America)
    Note: Please forgive me for my bad English, I am trying to improve it!

    Juan I. Cahis, Oct 24, 2006

  2. Juan I. Cahis

    Miller Guest

    *Juan I. Cahis* wrote on 24.10.06 01:43:

    > Is the upgrade mechanism for the Portable Edition the same of the
    > Standard Edition?

    Yep, it is.

    > Or, if I accept the automatic upgrade, my Portable
    > software will become non-portable, that is, "Standard"?

    No, it won't. I've updated my "portables" recently and they
    still work like they're supposed to.
    cu, Miller

    Miller, Oct 24, 2006

  3. Juan I. Cahis wrote:
    > Dear friends:
    >
    > I have a question about the Portable Edition of Firefox and
    > Thunderbird:
    >
    > I use the Portable Edition of both products in an USB Pen Drive, and
    > from time to time, both products ask me to accept the automatic
    > upgrade to the newest version of them.
    >
    > Is the upgrade mechanism for the Portable Edition the same of the
    > Standard Edition? Or, if I accept the automatic upgrade, my Portable
    > software will become non-portable, that is, "Standard"?
    >

    > Thanks
    > Juan I. Cahis
    > Santiago de Chile (South America)
    > Note: Please forgive me for my bad English, I am trying to improve it!

    Firefox/Thunderbird Portable are just rebranded editions of the exact
    programs issued by Mozilla.com. John has preset preferences in the
    profile to minimize writes to the disk, thus extending its life.

    Upgrading to newer versions has no effect on the profile. As long as
    you continue to open the program using the portable firefox starter, you
    should have no problems.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Oct 24, 2006
  4. Thanks a lot, friends.

    Your answer applies to the "Standard Portable Edition", or the "U3P
    Portable Edition", or both?

    Which of the above do you recommend to use mostly?

    Juan I. Cahis, Oct 24, 2006
  5. Juan I. Cahis wrote:
    > Thanks a lot, friends.
    >
    > Your answer applies to the "Standard Portable Edition", or the "U3P
    > Portable Edition", or both?
    >
    > Which of the above do you recommend to use mostly?
    >
    > Leonidas Jones <> wrote:
    >
    >> Juan I. Cahis wrote:
    >>> Dear friends:
    >>>
    >>> I have a question about the Portable Edition of Firefox and
    >>> Thunderbird:
    >>>
    >>> I use the Portable Edition of both products in an USB Pen Drive, and
    >>> from time to time, both products ask me to accept the automatic
    >>> upgrade to the newest version of them.
    >>>
    >>> Is the upgrade mechanism for the Portable Edition the same of the
    >>> Standard Edition? Or, if I accept the automatic upgrade, my Portable
    >>> software will become non-portable, that is, "Standard"?
    >>>

    >>> Thanks
    >>> Juan I. Cahis
    >>> Santiago de Chile (South America)
    >>> Note: Please forgive me for my bad English, I am trying to improve it!

    >> Firefox/Thunderbird Portable are just rebranded editions of the exact
    >> programs issued by Mozilla.com. John has preset preferences in the
    >> profile to minimize writes to the disk, thus extending its life.
    >>
    >> Upgrading to newer versions has no effect on the profile. As long as
    >> you continue to open the program using the portable firefox starter, you
    >> should have no problems.
    >>
    >> Lee

    > Thanks
    > Juan I. Cahis
    > Santiago de Chile (South America)
    > Note: Please forgive me for my bad English, I am trying to improve it!

    O'm using Thunderbird Portable from portableapps.com as we correspond!

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Oct 24, 2006