A question about progressive playback

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Niranjan R. Pedanekar, May 11, 2004.

  1. Hi,

    I have an Onkyo DVD player with progressive scan (27MHz/10bit video
    DAC if that helps). I have ordered a 34" multi-system Philips Pixel
    Plus TV (34PT9420) with progressive input (480p/1080i NTSC, 576p PAL),
    which should be with me some time next week.

    I anticipate that there will not be much problem with playing DVDs.
    But I tried looking into various FAQs and posts, and could not find an
    answer to the following question(s) regarding playing VCDs:

    - What would be the best mode to play a PAL VCD?

    - Will the VCD quality be any better if I use the progressive output
    from the DVD player with the progressive input of the TV?

    - Will the choice of component/composite connections matter in this
    case?

    - Should I stick to Pixel Plus (which is available only for interlaced
    inputs)?

    Greatly appreciate your inputs.

    Thanks a lot for your attention,
    Niranjan

    Niranjan R. Pedanekar, May 11, 2004

  2. Niranjan R. Pedanekar

    Italo Guest

    "Niranjan R. Pedanekar" <> wrote in message

    > - What would be the best mode to play a PAL VCD?

    Considering the lack of resolution of a VCD disc the question is pretty much
    redundant, any connection will give you roughly the same video quality.
    BTW, it's just a thought, but how about trying the different options once
    you get the TV and see which one you like best?

    --
    Italo

    Italo, May 11, 2004

  3. "Italo" <> wrote in message news:<40a138cb$0$24919$>...
    > "Niranjan R. Pedanekar" <> wrote in message
    >
    > > - What would be the best mode to play a PAL VCD?

    > Considering the lack of resolution of a VCD disc the question is pretty much
    > redundant, any connection will give you roughly the same video quality.
    > BTW, it's just a thought, but how about trying the different options once
    > you get the TV and see which one you like best?

    Thanks for the reply, Italo.

    In fact, I am thinking of making a sort of a 'Design of Experiments'
    (DOE) with the following serving as inputs:

    1. Input source (DVD, VCD, cable - being in India, I do not have an
    access to a full-fledged satellite service yet)
    2. Connections (RF, Composite, S-Video, Component)
    3. TV options (with/without Pixel Plus, with/without Active control,
    100 Hz, etc)
    4. DVD player playback (progressive Vs non-progressive)

    I will prepare the first-cut design soon and post it here. There could
    be redundant cases which can be let out, as per the opinion of
    experts/users. Then I will proceed to conduct these experiments after
    calibrating my display and audio. Eventually, if all goes well, I will
    post the results on the group!

    Sounds exciting, doesn't it? :))

    Thanks,
    Niranjan

    Niranjan R. Pedanekar, May 12, 2004
  4. Niranjan R. Pedanekar

    Biz Guest

    > > "Niranjan R. Pedanekar" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > > - What would be the best mode to play a PAL VCD?

    > > Considering the lack of resolution of a VCD disc the question is pretty

    much
    > > redundant, any connection will give you roughly the same video quality.
    > > BTW, it's just a thought, but how about trying the different options

    once
    > > you get the TV and see which one you like best?

    > Thanks for the reply, Italo.
    >
    > In fact, I am thinking of making a sort of a 'Design of Experiments'
    > (DOE) with the following serving as inputs:
    >
    > 1. Input source (DVD, VCD, cable - being in India, I do not have an
    > access to a full-fledged satellite service yet)
    > 2. Connections (RF, Composite, S-Video, Component)
    > 3. TV options (with/without Pixel Plus, with/without Active control,
    > 100 Hz, etc)
    > 4. DVD player playback (progressive Vs non-progressive)
    >
    > I will prepare the first-cut design soon and post it here. There could
    > be redundant cases which can be let out, as per the opinion of
    > experts/users. Then I will proceed to conduct these experiments after
    > calibrating my display and audio. Eventually, if all goes well, I will
    > post the results on the group!
    >
    > Sounds exciting, doesn't it? :))

    Not really..most of us here already know what the results will be given past
    experience...

    Biz, May 12, 2004
  5. Niranjan R. Pedanekar

    Brad Houser Guest

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have an Onkyo DVD player with progressive scan (27MHz/10bit video
    > DAC if that helps). I have ordered a 34" multi-system Philips Pixel
    > Plus TV (34PT9420) with progressive input (480p/1080i NTSC, 576p PAL),
    > which should be with me some time next week.
    >
    > I anticipate that there will not be much problem with playing DVDs.
    > But I tried looking into various FAQs and posts, and could not find an
    > answer to the following question(s) regarding playing VCDs:
    >
    > - What would be the best mode to play a PAL VCD?

    You may not have the choice to use component video with VCD. Unless the
    Onkyo says it will play VCD on the Component video output, you may be
    limited to DVD only.

    > - Will the VCD quality be any better if I use the progressive output
    > from the DVD player with the progressive input of the TV?

    Perhaps, but remember VCD is about the same quality as VHS in SLP mode. You
    may not notice any difference at all, if it even works.

    > - Will the choice of component/composite connections matter in this
    > case?

    Probably not. Repeat after me:

    For analog signals,
    Component is better than S-Video,
    S-Video is better than composite,
    composite is better than RF

    > - Should I stick to Pixel Plus (which is available only for interlaced
    > inputs)?

    Can't say for sure, but it will probably be better in most cases.

    Brad Houser, May 12, 2004
  6. Niranjan R. Pedanekar

    Bill Guest

    Brad Houser wrote:

    >> - What would be the best mode to play a PAL VCD?

    >You may not have the choice to use component video with VCD. Unless the
    >Onkyo says it will play VCD on the Component video output, you may be
    >limited to DVD only.

    That doesn't make any sense...any player should stream the video out the
    same way, regardless of the source disc. The only prerequisite is that
    the player must be able to read VCD discs.

    Even my old Pioneer will play VCD, SVCD, and DVD through component,
    S-Video, or composite.

    >Perhaps, but remember VCD is about the same quality as VHS in SLP mode. You
    >may not notice any difference at all, if it even works.

    I think you should know that VCD is equal to VHS in SP mode, not SLP
    (which is the longer speed). Not to mention that VCD doesn't wear out
    like VHS tapes, which is why I've copied several movies and shows off
    VHS onto VCD.

    Bill, May 12, 2004
  7. Tried out a lot of combinations. Here are the conclusions:

    1. Works decently with cable (that too RF!) to increase the picture
    quality. Works very well with good and stong transmission (even
    football games).

    2. For DVDs, Pixel Plus looks better (to me) than progressive scan.

    3. For VCDs, progressive scan of the DVD player looks clearly better
    than Pixel Plus (which produces a lot of artifacts).

    4. Not much change in S-video and component inputs using Pixel Plus.

    5. Progressive input has only component connection (and RGB, which I
    have not tried).

    Am very happy with the 34" Pixel Plus TV.

    Thanks all for your inputs,
    Niranjan

    Niranjan R. Pedanekar, May 18, 2004