A Question About Notebooks

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Pete Holland Jr., Jan 22, 2004.

  1. Hey, everybody!

    It appears that I need to buy a new notebook computer. My
    Thinkpad 760EL is about to bite the dust. A shame, too. It
    truly is a workhorse.

    I don't really need an absolute top-of-the-line machine. I
    have my tower for that. I just want something that I can
    take on the road, do my word processing, and play some
    games. I'm shopping for one that runs Win98 or better,
    since that increases my odds of finding a CD drive that will
    play burned discs (the drives for the 760 are very fickle).
    I've found places online selling older model 'puters that
    are a huge step up from what I've got, but I want to make
    sure of something.

    Here's my question--what makes the backlights and lithium
    ion batteries deteriorate, is it use or time? If it's use,
    then places selling old 'puters that are still new in the
    box are a good option. If it's time, I should find
    something relatively recent.

    Dobre utka,
    Pete Holland Jr.

    Pete Holland Jr., Jan 22, 2004

  2. Pete Holland Jr.

    Sultan Guest

    Pete Holland Jr. wrote in news:bYVPb.399$:

    > Hey, everybody!
    >
    > It appears that I need to buy a new notebook computer. My
    > Thinkpad 760EL is about to bite the dust. A shame, too. It
    > truly is a workhorse.
    >
    > I don't really need an absolute top-of-the-line machine. I
    > have my tower for that. I just want something that I can
    > take on the road, do my word processing, and play some
    > games. I'm shopping for one that runs Win98 or better,
    > since that increases my odds of finding a CD drive that will
    > play burned discs (the drives for the 760 are very fickle).
    > I've found places online selling older model 'puters that
    > are a huge step up from what I've got, but I want to make
    > sure of something.
    >
    > Here's my question--what makes the backlights and lithium
    > ion batteries deteriorate, is it use or time? If it's use,
    > then places selling old 'puters that are still new in the
    > box are a good option. If it's time, I should find
    > something relatively recent.
    >
    > Dobre utka,
    > Pete Holland Jr.

    Use. Ashton Digital is a good inexpensive brand of laptop, more bang for
    your buck.

    Sultan, Jan 23, 2004