    the best book for migrating to .net and give a good
    knowloedge of .net architecture.
    thanx alot

    Jafar, May 27, 2004

  2. I confess to having enjoyed the Sams book "Teach Yourself Visual Studio .Net
    in 21 days." Yup, there were a lot of simple lessons and all that, but it
    was fairly decent and to the point.

    --
    RL (do I know what I'm doing?) Coppedge, MCSE/MCT
    NorthEast Ohio

    RL \(Bob\) Coppedge, MCSE/MCT, May 29, 2004

  3. Jafar

    Larry Guest

    For one thing, it depends on whether your objectve is to
    get a .NET certification or whether you're just trying to
    get up to speed. There's a lot of dialoge in this
    newsgroup on the relative merits of the different study
    guides (Microsoft, Exam Cram, etc.). You'll probably
    want to work with some of those if you a cert is your
    objective but otherwise, save your money.

    I liked "Visual Basic .NET and the .NET Platform" by
    Andrew Troelsen (Apress). It's geared toward people who
    already have some background, particularly VB people. I
    felt it gave me a good grounding in some of the
    fundamentals of how things are implemented in the .NET
    framework. It, however, does not delve very throroughly
    into major areas like ADO.NET and ASP.NET, which is what
    I imagine a lot of people really want to know about.

    Otherwise, I haven't found anything that really seems to
    offer much insight beyond what I can get from looking at
    MSDN. When I come accross something that I can't figure
    out, I often stop in at Border's and look through all
    those .NET books (seems like there's about twice as many
    every time I go there.) I'll read what they have to say
    on some topic, wade through reams of sample code and lame
    pendaticism, and realize that the authors haven't really
    figured anything out that you can't get from MSDN. I'm
    not saying they are bad, but most computer books have a
    way of wasting your time just as badly as your money.

    You can always look at the reviews on Amazon.com. They
    can be helpful.

    One thing I thought was useful is a free download from
    MSDN called "101 VB.NET Samples". Just small, concise
    sample VB.NET projects that address some of the things
    you might need to do.

    HTH

    Larry, May 29, 2004
  4. >I'm
    >not saying they are bad, but most computer books have a
    >way of wasting your time just as badly as your money.

    very true.

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, May 29, 2004