  1. Does the /boot directory and its contents still have to exist within the first 1024 blocks?

    Cheers,
    Tony.
    Anthony Neville, Aug 24, 2003

  2. Anthony Neville

    Peter Guest

    this quote is from Anthony Neville of Sun, 24 Aug 2003 18:48 :

    > Does the /boot directory and its contents still have to exist within the
    > first 1024 blocks?

    It's 1024 cylinders that makes the limit, and AFAIK relates to some old BIOS
    versions that couldn't work beyond that.
    Apparently modern distros and modern motherboards don't have this problem.

    It might be worth you doing a google search on your exact motherboard on
    this topic to check it out.

    HTH

    Peter
    Peter, Aug 24, 2003

  3. "Peter" <> wrote in message news:...
    > this quote is from Anthony Neville of Sun, 24 Aug 2003 18:48 :
    >
    > > Does the /boot directory and its contents still have to exist within the
    > > first 1024 blocks?

    > It's 1024 cylinders that makes the limit, and AFAIK relates to some old BIOS
    > versions that couldn't work beyond that.
    > Apparently modern distros and modern motherboards don't have this problem.
    >
    > It might be worth you doing a google search on your exact motherboard on
    > this topic to check it out.

    The motherboard is ~very~ recent. Ah,well; that is good news. Thanks, Peter.

    Tony.
    Anthony Neville, Aug 24, 2003
  4. Anthony Neville allegedly said:

    > Does the /boot directory and its contents still have to exist within the
    > first 1024 blocks?
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Tony.

    Yes....nothing to do with Linux....It's a BIOS restriction.
    William Lyon McKenzie, Aug 24, 2003
  5. Anthony Neville

    Enkidu Guest

    On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 20:24:36 +1200, Lennier
    <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 18:48:42 +1200, Anthony Neville wrote:
    >
    >> Does the /boot directory and its contents still have to exist within the
    >> first 1024 blocks?

    >Yes.
    >
    >That is a BIOS limitation in accessing the HDD beyond the first 1024
    >cylinders.

    Only if you have a pre-historic bios. In dual boot situations the
    second partition almost always starts after the 1024 cylinders.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Aug 24, 2003
  6. "Peter" <> wrote in message
    > this quote is from Anthony Neville of Sun, 24 Aug 2003 18:48 :
    >
    > > Does the /boot directory and its contents still have to exist within the
    > > first 1024 blocks?

    > It's 1024 cylinders that makes the limit, and AFAIK relates to some old

    BIOS
    > versions that couldn't work beyond that.
    > Apparently modern distros and modern motherboards don't have this problem.
    >
    > It might be worth you doing a google search on your exact motherboard on
    > this topic to check it out.
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > Peter

    It was a limitation of Lilo, its not now

    Note on 1024 Cylinder limit
    The 1024 cylinder limit has been broken! Support for the lba32 BIOS
    extension has been added to LILO by John Coffman. For motherboards made
    after 1998 (or with upgraded BIOSes), LILO will detect the BIOS extension
    and you are able to install the boot partition where ever you like. You
    need:

    a.. LILO version 21.4 or later, available at
    ftp://metalab.unc.edu/pub/Linux/system/boot/lilo/.
    b.. lba32 BIOS
    c.. add the following line to the global section of /etc/lilo.conf

    lba32

    d.. remove the entry "linear" or comment it out, if it exists in
    /etc/lilo.conf
    For more detailed information on lba32, see the Large Disk HOWTO - Booting.
    Howard Johnson, Aug 24, 2003
  7. Anthony Neville

    step Guest

    "Lennier" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 18:48:42 +1200, Anthony Neville wrote:
    >
    > > Does the /boot directory and its contents still have to exist within the
    > > first 1024 blocks?

    > Yes.
    >
    > That is a BIOS limitation in accessing the HDD beyond the first 1024
    > cylinders.
    >
    > Lennier

    I thought that that was the LILO limit - that has now changed (I don't know
    how high but well beond the 1024 linit)

    any new distro should work fine
    step, Aug 24, 2003
  8. Anthony Neville

    Lennier Guest

    Lennier, Nov 21, 2003
  9. Anthony Neville

    RecylerMan Guest

    Lennier wrote:
    > On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 18:48:42 +1200, Anthony Neville wrote:
    >

    >>Does the /boot directory and its contents still have to exist within the
    >>first 1024 blocks?

    > Yes.
    >
    > That is a BIOS limitation in accessing the HDD beyond the first 1024
    > cylinders.
    >
    > Lennier

    I am shure that use to be the rule but I have been booting linux systems
    beyond that barrier for a long time with moden hard where and using
    Mandrake and or Slackware when I set up a Redhat 9 on this box It baffed
    at the lilo install and refused to boot I have sinced fixed that up so
    It will boot (put on flame proof sute) Redhat 9 sux for what I wanted it
    for it makes a nice buseness desktop but not a good home user desktop in
    the end I installed a bare minumin and built the rest from source, Makes
    a brillant server though

    on the plus side have been using the slimp3 software on my esmith box
    and been using Knoppix or dammsmall as a palyer the windows palyers barf
    at playing more than 24 hours of streemed content.

    I think that rpm's may have had there day as the software is getting
    more complex now I have had no problems with rpm's on my esmith box but
    it has no gui but on redhat I ended up going back to source....

    shit now I sound like the one

    must get out and smell the roses

    --
    RecylerMan ICQ 22245595
    Mail to :- l i n u x u s r AT i h u g DOT c o DOT n z
    RecylerMan, Nov 21, 2003